Tubs: My 2004 E350 Build

You could probably junk yard source a new rear axle with 3.73s and a limited slip already installed. Not as good as a locker off-road but for the level of wheeling it sounds like you're interested in it would probably do the trick. Around here 3/4-1 ton rear axles are fairly cheap. Sell yours to help off set and you might end up a happy camper without too much money pain.

I had 235/85R16 Cooper AT IIIs on mine and no issues up front with rubbing. I have those 4-sale btw (shameless plug), 6 of them with around 5500 miles on them.

4x4 has a sneaky habit of getting under your skin sooner or later. It's like a spare tire. You hope to never need it, rarely do end up using it, but when you do want it it can be a god send having it.

I know. Originally planned on 4x4 but decided not. Unfortunately I have been looking at Ujoints site for the last hour after Chris's comment drooling over the builds. I am really interested in just hanging the front axle with swap parts and finishing the rest after the trip but things like that always seem to snowball. Buy swap parts, then buy bigger tires and wheels, then regear axles to fit, etc and my trip budget is long gone. The only way I can figure in getting 4x4 is to delay my trip a year. I agree that I would prefer to have 4x4 and not need it then the other way around but don't think I could handle another year at my job.

I will look at used axles. We have quite a few salvage yards around here and that would save me the money on spending the big bucks on a semi floating axle locker.

BTW, you packed up and left while I was gone but wanted to say it was nice meeting you and seeing your ambulance at Expo.

Gtdad

Adventurer
The door code is a 24 which is supposed to be a 3.55 gear. From removing the hub caps I sadly learned it is not a full floating axle. .[/QUOTE said:
From everyplace i look axle code 24 means Dana60 Semi float 5300 capacity 3.73 gears.
I would be surpised if you have 3.55 gears. On the back of your diff cover bolted between two bolts should be a metal plate with your diff information and model etc. Mine was on passenger side going vertical.

From everyplace i look axle code 24 means Dana60 Semi float 5300 capacity 3.73 gears.
I would be surpised if you have 3.55 gears. On the back of your diff cover bolted between two bolts should be a metal plate with your diff information and model etc. Mine was on passenger side going vertical.

When I looked it up on my phone there was a large table with all of the codes. It is quite possible I looked at the wrong line on my small screen. I will check out the plate. Thank you!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah! I didn't recognize you without, uhmm....muddy boots. Yeah. :)

Yeah, I looked around on Sunday and figured I'd seen everything I wanted and more mud than I'd cared to so I packed it in. Plus I scored some coming home early points with the wife.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Gtdad,

That looks good! What wheels are those?

Hondaslayer,

I would keep the Tacoma but I still owe a decent amount of money on it and can not afford to do this trip with another payment. It is a sacrifice I have to make. It is way over kill than I need any way.

My wife is hoping that I am going to love it up that way and wanna move there. She is a beach freak while I prefer the mountains.

Beaches? Yeah, we don't really have "beaches" here. We have rocky and jack strawed "beaches". Still, would not live anywhere else. Wife and I did something similar. We traveled a lot when we were dating. Drove all over AZ, SoCal, UT, NM, parts of TX. Visited the Carolinas, GA, FL, LA. Drove from MI to WY for our honeymoon. Took the train from MI to Seattle, fell in love. Not only does the region suit us philosophically, it suits our needs well. Where else can you have desert, rain forest, mountains, alpine regions and ocean within about a 2-3 hour drive in any direction from home?

Oh wait, I forgot. It rains 367 days a year, stay away, you'll hate it here :lol: Gotta keep up appearances ;)

350outrage

Adventurer
No, not set in stone at all. Thanks for the idea! Original planned on a futon type bed running lengthwise behind the drivers seat but also looked at making an elongated VW style pull out seat (rock and roll?) that ran width wise.

First I am going to pull the seats and cram a big cot, the fridge, the lugaloo, camp chairs, and everything else we plan on taking into the Van to get an idea of a way to store it all. Also wanna stay out several nights in a couple different mock ups to see how it works before finalizing the build.

I did the exact same thing with mine, and it worked so well, I decided not to modify. This way, you retain flexible seating and cargo hauling options. 2 6' cots will exactly fit behind your 2d row seating. You can save a lot of money here.

Last edited:

350outrage

Adventurer
Can anyone help me figure out what axle I have? I have googled the axle door code but striking out in what the actual axle is.

The door code is a 24 which is supposed to be a 3.55 gear. From removing the hub caps I sadly learned it is not a full floating axle.

I plan on adding a locker. Would it be better in you all opinions to go ahead and install a Detriot locker and regear to 3.73s at the time or stick with a simple lunch box locker and no regear and save the money? Plan on the 245 or 235 size tires that Gtdad recommended.
I probably w/n regear unless you have a real reason, like towing, bigger increase in tire size, or 4wd conversion AND bigger tires, etc. All in keeping with your "spend less" theme, with which I am in full agreement.

350outrage

Adventurer
Agree w/ GTdad. And if you have 3.73's you're definitely good on gearing for the size of tires you're considering. Ran 245/75/16's on my van with 2wd, and 3.73's for 12 years, even towing, with no problems.

Gtdad

Adventurer
long-beach.jpglong-beach.jpghere's a nice shot of long beach british columbia

Beaches? Yeah, we don't really have "beaches" here. We have rocky and jack strawed "beaches". Still, would not live anywhere else. Wife and I did something similar. We traveled a lot when we were dating. Drove all over AZ, SoCal, UT, NM, parts of TX. Visited the Carolinas, GA, FL, LA. Drove from MI to WY for our honeymoon. Took the train from MI to Seattle, fell in love. Not only does the region suit us philosophically, it suits our needs well. Where else can you have desert, rain forest, mountains, alpine regions and ocean within about a 2-3 hour drive in any direction from home?

Oh wait, I forgot. It rains 367 days a year, stay away, you'll hate it here :lol: Gotta keep up appearances ;)

My wife and I took our first trip in the van after thanksgiving. She had a rare three days in a row off so we decided to head somewhere warm. We quickly decided on Savannah. Initial plans were to drive her Subaru and stay in a hotel but a lot hotels were booked up and the ones that weren't wanted $200 + for two nights. Being a cheap *** I found a campground that had a primitive tent site open for $25 a night on Tybee island. We only have a small backpacking tent now so the van got to take its first trip.

The only preparations to the van I got to make before leaving were limo tint on the windows and a twin mattress from a close out store. I placed the ARB fridge behind my seat and most of the rest of the gear in the back where I tried to secure it with a ratchet strap. I didn't bring a lot of camping gear due because we planned to eat out most meals and the campground had showers. The jetboil for coffee, camp chairs, snacks, and the fridge full of beer, waters, and sandwich making stuff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267513.276095.jpg

The drive down was pretty uneventful. Not much to see but was impressed with how the van drives. I was worried about the 5.4 but so far I am really happy with it. It doesn't shift down on every hill like my Tacoma does. I have an annoying wind noise coming from the front which I think is being caused by the windshield wipers.

We got to our campground at Rivers End Campground on Tybee by early afternoon. I set up the tent to make it look like we were staying in it. Unfortunately as it was a primitive site the parking space in front of it was not completely level, something I would pay for later in the evening. The staff were super friendly and the faculties were nice and clean. The trees throughout the campground were very nice and shady.

We walked the beach after that and my wife was amazed by the amount of shells. I think she could have spent the whole weekend looking through them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267643.075288.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267670.805069.jpg

We ate dinner at the Crab Shack on the island. It was great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267692.249387.jpg

After dinner we retired early and were quickly to sleep. I had a little difficulty sleeping later on as we I had laid head down.

Saturday morning we were up early to see the sunrise over the beach and looking for more shells.

After shelling it was showers and onto Savannah for the day. Breakfast was a very unimpressive Sonic where they tried to convince me that my card had not worked at the self pay and that I needed to pay them again. Even after showing the lady the charge on my checking account on my phone she still insisted that it didn't go through. After a couple of minutes they said they finally saw it.

Bonadventure Cemetery was next. The cemetery was very impressive and we could have probably spent several more hours there if we didn't have other things to do. Some of the sculptures were amazing. So were the mosquitoes!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267731.294844.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267752.976851.jpg

After the cemetery we went to the visitors center for passes where one of the workers was very impressed with my southern accent. She was extremely helpful and restaurant choices, what to see, and where to park. I had planned on buying a parking pass but she recommended parking on the streets since it was free on the weekends and we weren't staying in the city.

Parking was kinda annoying to find but we eventually found a place near Columbia square. We walked around most of the afternoon looking at the beautiful houses and squares. I was quite unimpressed in the lack of public restrooms. If it wasn't for my wife then the side of one of those fancy houses would have been peed on!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267787.008188.jpg

After the walk we headed to Service Brewery for there afternoon tour. Being prior military I had wanted to make sure I made it by hear. The place was just like any other craft brew tour I had been on but it was nice to know it was owned and ran by vets and that a portion of the proceeds go to many veteran organizations. The owner was a cool guy. We talked to him for 10-15 minutes about the whole place. They also had some very unique beers. A chili pepper stout who's name slips my mind and Lincoln's Gift which was another stout that oysters as one of its ingredients!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267807.045943.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267821.808073.jpg

Dinner after that at Bernies Oyster Bar was my favorite part of the trip. They had a special for a bucket of you shuck them oysters and a pitcher of beer for $30. Never will find a deal like that around here. The wife did pretty good shucking the oysters and really enjoyed eating them after I told her she didn't just kill them (she googled it later and I was yelled at! Lol) After dinner we walked around for a it more and waited for a river boat Christmas light parade that never came. We were tired so we headed back to the van and went back to camp. I made a fire but fell asleep before the initial logs were even have burned. I slept much better sleeping with my head up hill.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449267864.938994.jpg

The next morning we slept in late. We showered and packed everything up. It sure is nice to be able to pack up in 10 minutes. If it weren't for the tent I could have been done in 5!

We ate another unimpressive breakfast at the Sugar Shack on the island before heading over to Ft Pulaski. This fort was started before the Civil War but not finished before the war broke out. It was supposed to be impenetrable but new rifled cannon rounds used by the Yankees quickly bore through the wall and threatened that powder storage. The fort was surrendered quickly and never saw action again.

The fort was nicely restored and neat to look around. It is one of the few forts to have an actual moat around it. They had several trails around the area but once again the swamp mosquitoes were eating me up (but somehow the wife wasn't touched). We looked around for a couple of hours before heading back to Savannah to look for my wife's missing sandal. After being unable to locate it in the area of where we parked the previous day we drove to some plantation that was supposed to be scenic. The entrance had an annoying sign that said we must pay before entering OR taking pictures of the entrance! After being aggravated by this and the poor Google reviews we decided not to pay and just head back home.

The drive home was much longer with some traffic, naps in the back, and scenic detours. Nothing too fancy or worth reporting.

Overall very happy with the van. I am excited to get this Tacoma sold so I can focus all of my efforts and funds into making the van the way I want. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Haven't posted in a while...

Took the seats, seat belts, and carpet out. Cleaned up a couple of rusts spots and then laid down some Raamat, foam, and mass loaded vinyl.

Also installed a passenger side seat swivel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458671886.773448.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458671905.936143.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458671932.405726.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458671950.041186.jpg

Last edited:
Then put the Raamat and reflectix in the walls and doors. Then put down a plywood floor with wood flooring look vinyl flooring.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458672062.550606.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458672085.938951.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458672115.223636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458672132.690200.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458672150.855471.jpg

I plan on adding more insulation when I can buy a roll of poly insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke