Tubs: My 2004 E350 Build

screwball48

Explorer
Composite decking may work for a roof rack. I am not sure how the weight compares to real wood though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raul

Adventurer
Composite decking may work for a roof rack. I am not sure how the weight compares to real wood

Very heavy. I do not know if there are differences among manufacturer, but the decking I got for my pool at Lowes was 3 to 4 times heavier than similar sized dried wood decking.

Plastic like the one used in cutting boards maybe nice but I do not know its merits under UV.

Google turned up a guy that makes roof rack slats for VW buses. My luck is that he lived 20 mins from me!

Ordered some ash slats and should have them next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
[/ATTACH]
Backed down into a campsite for a break and then had a helluva a time getting out. This one wheel drive stuff sucks! Took lots of throttle and careful line choice to make it out. Looks like some maxx traxs are in order.

At least it looks the part a little more...

189bc8d9b42eaac9231d591bbb0dea23.jpg

With the Ford Van lack of traction is corrected with just a front mount hitch and a winch making the van a petty much go anywhere van and all for about $350 bucks!

Oct 16 Van Trip 201.JPG

The van is looking great hope you both enjoy!

Attachments

• Oct 16 Van Trip 201.JPG
    Oct 16 Van Trip 201.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 57
[/ATTACH]
Backed down into a campsite for a break and then had a helluva a time getting out. This one wheel drive stuff sucks! Took lots of throttle and careful line choice to make it out. Looks like some maxx traxs are in order.

At least it looks the part a little more...

189bc8d9b42eaac9231d591bbb0dea23.jpg

With the Ford Van lack of traction is corrected with just a front mount hitch and a winch making the van a petty much go anywhere van and all for about $350 bucks!

View attachment 393192

The van is looking great hope you both enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. Just bought a front mount hitch the other day but more for a recovery point. Have to look into cheap winches now.

She has sewn curtains 3x now. She has just recently learned and they haven't worked perfectly. We used black canvas and they were kinda bland. She bought some bright design fabric and plans to try and make them before we take off in 3 weeks. Will see if she can sew carpet into them. Good idea!

Thanks for the compliments and ideas!

Finally finished the roof rack today. Took a lot longer than I planned. It is far from perfect and weighs more than I would like but will work very nicely for holding a solar panel and extra gear while also providing an attachment point for our hammocks and tarp.

d75720b88ad24f501ed5bb905e6c29dc.jpg

db318c485ddc0d9e800a11d9af9e8a33.jpg

a4d4d6be294b2c1390fba4a91e7d93e7.jpg

5cd78cf15147881074e8db2321d5e99b.jpg

58a07b472d3d17c15536505a6a37f708.jpg

0ff83ff01303887a646ebad5bad805d7.jpg

Have about $350 in wood and metal in it. With $240 of that being the fancy ash for the slats. Took several full days to complete it but still better for me than paying $2000 for an Aluminess one.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Nice job on the rack, do you have plans to build a matching ladder? Incorporating that wood someway might be cool

Great job!! I really like the way the roof rack turned out. I've been thinking about a similar approach but was concerned about the weight of steel vs aluminum. Any idea what it weighs?

Nice looking roof rack!
What kind of nerf bars are those??
Thanks!

APS brand. Came with the van. I was gonna take them off to get some more clearance but they have turned out to be very useful; especially for my short wife!

53a9e9875ffaee462f0842133284bdd6.jpg

Nice job on the rack, do you have plans to build a matching ladder? Incorporating that wood someway might be cool

I had planned on copying an Aluminess ladder but ran out of time. We take off on our trip tomorrow!

Would we be cool to use the left over wood when I get a chance to make the ladder!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94