Recovery Bag Recommendations

dp7197

Adventurer
Another alternative would be a Trasharoo or Joey-pack tire cover if you have a spare hanging off the back. This would make your recovery gear accessible without getting inside your vehicle.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Holy thread revival Batman!

Thought I'd throw another idea out there, I've recently started using a generic Home Depot 5 gallon bucket to hold my recovery gear. I roll my straps really tight and they fit perfectly in the bucket. The lid seals pretty tight too so things stay clean. Probably won't be keeping this after I get my canopy and drawer system finished, but for now, it seems to work pretty well.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Interesting info. Thanks.

Says the guy who makes the best kinetic rope recovery bag on the market... :)

It is dedicated for ropes but the Tow Strap Throw Bag by ATC is really nice and works as a safety device as well. You would still want another bag (or other option) for the rest of your gear though.

I have a Bucket Boss Cable Bag (Amazon) that I use for a coiled tow strap, gloves and shackles. Other stuff I keep in a basket under my platform.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a Bucket Boss Cable Bag (Amazon) that I use for a coiled tow strap, gloves and shackles.
One for tow strap, one for recovery strap, one for winch extension and tree saver, one for big jumper cables. Shackles, gloves, etc. go into a gatemouth bag.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Blue Ridge Overland Gear "Oh Crap, I'm Stuck", lol has 'Overland' in the name, so it's $60.

L.A. Police Gear sells all sorts of similar bags, with at least as many pockets and pouches AND MOLLE strips and even larger capacity, for $20. Available in 'tactical' muted colors.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

or

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-zombie-hunter-bag.html - again $20

la-police-gear-zombie-hunter-bag-55.gif

Similarly, Harbor Freight has capacious 12" tool bags for $5 on sale. Good stitching and zippers, too, also with exterior pockets. As well as various other sizes at similar low prices.

Then there's all manner of tool bags at the big box hardware stores. Also in the $20-$30 range.

OP what you want is a 'throw bag' so you can sling your recover strap to someone stuck in the mud or down a ditch / hill, after attaching one end to your vehicle. And another bag for the rest of the recover gear. There are lots of suitable pouches / stuff sacks / ditty bags available that will work and at far lower prices than anything with an 'Overlanding' branding / brand name on it.

But if you want to dress to impress with an ARB label etc, have at it, it's your money after all.

landsharkman

Adventurer
I find one bag can become too heavy and large so my stuff is divided between three bags, two small ARB bags both with two metal shackles, gloves, recovery damper, snatch block, then one also has a long tree strap and a winch ext strap, the other gets a snatch strap, short tree strap and winch ext rope, then I also use and Eagle Creek Pack it Double cube for my Kinetic recovery rope and soft shackles because it vents and lets the rope dry. This way I can just bring out what I need and be able to store it easily in the truck.

MOguy

Explorer
I find one bag can become too heavy and large so my stuff is divided between three bags, two small ARB bags both with two metal shackles, gloves, recovery damper, snatch block, then one also has a long tree strap and a winch ext strap, the other gets a snatch strap, short tree strap and winch ext rope, then I also use and Eagle Creek Pack it Double cube for my Kinetic recovery rope and soft shackles because it vents and lets the rope dry. This way I can just bring out what I need and be able to store it easily in the truck.

I have never heard of some of those straps.

MOguy

Explorer

Is the rope on the warn page is like rope for the winch itself and then the kinetic is just like a kinetic strap as opposed to the rope?

I have never seen an actual damper, I usually run my cable or strap through my recovery bag (I like a back so I can keep my hands free)

You carry allot of redundant stuff, that's fine. I buy for a SAR team (I am not a responder) and I understand redundancy. I also somewhat under stand why they would use webbing (strap) versus rope.

Do you prefer ropes over straps for certain tasks, if so why?

Brewtus

Adventurer
A winch extension rope specifically Spydura is a low stretch rope specifically for winch extensions. When winching, you want as little stretch as possible. Your rope/cable functions as a spring, the stretchier it is, the less control you have; when pulling with a winch, the load on the line is dependent on how far you stretch it. If it's going to take 8000 lbs to free you, and you use a functionally rigid line like steel or a winch extension line, you only have to pull an inch or so to bring the cable up to full load. When pulling with a more elastic line, you may have to pull several feet of line to get to that load, then when your vehicle comes free, the stretch in the line will continue to pull you forward.

Tree straps are simply short straps that make providing an anchorage to a tree or rock both easy and won't damage the tree. Typically tree straps and shackles will allow you to attach to a tree without using a choker. Chokers reduce the capacity of the rope/strap because of the irregular fiber directions that result from the kink at the choker loop.

Kinetic recovery rope is very elastic ~30% from taught to break whereas Nylon recovery straps are ~20% and Polyester are ~3-5%. Higher elasticity reduces shock load and can allow the recovering vehicle to use momentum to free a vehicle where traction is not available, but also increase the stored potential energy and inherent danger of the device.

I would disagree that his kit is redundant, extensive yes, but each part serves a different purpose.

landsharkman

Adventurer
I can understand where some may feel I carry more than I need, and somethings I bought later after learning about better tools, for example I bought my snap strap before I knew about the advantages of a KRR, same would be true of the winch ext strap before I got the winch ext rope, but I do like have a backup in case of something else fails. The damper could easily be a blanket or your tool bag, I just like the convenience have having a tool design for the job.. Speaking of redundant systems I also carry 1 large, 1 folding and one small snow shovel, two air compressors, one large axe, one rescue axe, a hatchet, two tree saws, 6 different size flashlights, full set of tools, a couple of lanterns, three different size fixed blade knives, two first aid kits, a large stove and a pocket stove. dual battery and the list goes on. I would rather have too much than miss something I needed when far from home.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I can understand where some may feel I carry more than I need, and somethings I bought later after learning about better tools, for example I bought my snap strap before I knew about the advantages of a KRR, same would be true of the winch ext strap before I got the winch ext rope, but I do like have a backup in case of something else fails. The damper could easily be a blanket or your tool bag, I just like the convenience have having a tool design for the job.. Speaking of redundant systems I also carry 1 large, 1 folding and one small snow shovel, two air compressors, one large axe, one rescue axe, a hatchet, two tree saws, 6 different size flashlights, full set of tools, a couple of lanterns, three different size fixed blade knives, two first aid kits, a large stove and a pocket stove. dual battery and the list goes on. I would rather have two much than miss something I needed when far from home.

I have a Wrangler, I couldn't imagine fitting all that. What do you drive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles