Recovery Bag Recommendations

bbaker22

I checked his profile and didn't say the land cruiser part. They have allot more room than a Wrangler.

Yeah, my Wrangler had almost nothing for storage space. With my Tundra, I feel like I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

landsharkman

Adventurer
Yep a 99 Landcruiser, with drawers in the back, forget to mention the high lift on the tire carrier with the big shovel. I know some on here carry a welder as well

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have a Wrangler, I couldn't imagine fitting all that. What do you drive?

Mount your shovel to your Hi-Lift jack. The rest will fit in a bag.
Hi-Lift_Jack_Mount_8.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
highlift and shovel
HiLftplates_zps9177214f.jpg

the air taank has been replaced by a propane tank
Joshualand4sm_zps60daecee.jpg
I'd rather keep my high lift inside and out of the elements. With the Wrangler's short wheelbase adding that much weight to the back of a really changes how it drives. I do have a hitch hauler that will mount at the point you can see above the hi lift but I don't put much weight on it. I never head out alone. I have a recover bag, strap, tool bag (more tools under the seat) compressor, sub woofer, and extra fuel in the back.

20161204_113130.jpg

And this

View attachment 377441

Attachments

• 1480794200530-785261680.jpg
    1480794200530-785261680.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 61
  • 20161005_131006.jpg
    20161005_131006.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

landsharkman

Adventurer
realized that my recollections of what was where might be wrong so I double checked today and found that there are three different bags
Te eagle creek double cube, the large ARB and the small ARB,
rec%204%20sm_zpsdqogzcgc.jpg

in the small ARB are my gloves, two metal shackles, two soft shackles, gloves, snatch block, tree strap and winch ext rope
rec%202%20sm_zpsmbtln0iz.jpg

in the large ARB bag gloves , two metal shackles, snatch block, gloves, recovery damper, snatch strap and winch ext strap
Rec%201%20sm_zpslhvrap5v.jpg

in the Eagle Creek cube, soft shackles, short strap, recovery damper and kinetic recovery rope
rec%203%20sm_zpsyegdhxh8.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Says on the web site that the ARB recovery damper is the proper weight for competition events. Weight is not on the website so the description is a bit vague to me.
How much does it actually weigh?

edit: believe it or not, it's on Amazon questions. 3 pounds. Seems light to me.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I use a tanker bag, 3 actually, one for recovery, one for tools, one for spares, fluids and my air stuff. They have the wire opening and a few side pockets, I keep a few shackles on the outside pockets with some gloves. Inside I keep straps, tree savers, bridle, shackles, 2 snatch blocks, and a HiLift repair kit.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Probably won't put a winch on this vehicle.
Decided to use a medium harbor freight/apache box for the jumpercables, snatch strap, gloves and shackles...
TJ strap storage 50 croppedDSCF0294.jpg
Mechanical tools are in a 7.62mm/.30 cal. ammo can
The air compressor is in a 7.62mm/.30 cal. ammo can
The USGI trifold shovel is under the driver's seat
the Svensaw (large) (folding bow saw) is strapped to a roll bar as is the USGI matt-ax
I drive a Jeep so I have to keep storage compact.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Thread revival.

Husky tool bag for tools (with some of their little zippered pouches for smaller stuff), Husky tool bag for secondary recovery gear that normally stays at home (extra clevis', extra snatch block, extra straps, etc) and an old Stanley tool bag with primary recovery stuff that lives in the truck (snatch block, couple of clevis', wired winch control, cable repair clamps, tree saver strap, etc).

rayra

Expedition Leader
hell I've thrown field jackets over winch cables as a dampener. Guess I shouldn't be surprised there's a branded purpose-made item for this.

/I was taught to put the 'dampener' near the midpoint, but further from the winching vehicle. That way if the cable came loose from teh vehicle being recovered there was a better chance it wouldn't reach back to the winch operator. And everybody else ought to be well clear of the reach of the cable.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I can understand where some may feel I carry more than I need, and somethings I bought later after learning about better tools, for example I bought my snap strap before I knew about the advantages of a KRR, same would be true of the winch ext strap before I got the winch ext rope, but I do like have a backup in case of something else fails. The damper could easily be a blanket or your tool bag, I just like the convenience have having a tool design for the job.. Speaking of redundant systems I also carry 1 large, 1 folding and one small snow shovel, two air compressors, one large axe, one rescue axe, a hatchet, two tree saws, 6 different size flashlights, full set of tools, a couple of lanterns, three different size fixed blade knives, two first aid kits, a large stove and a pocket stove. dual battery and the list goes on. I would rather have too much than miss something I needed when far from home.
Overkill. I agree you should have certain items doubled. But all of that? Waste of space and needless hit on fuel economy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles