Recovery Bag Recommendations

RichardSines

I've recently built up my recovery kit, but I am in need of a great bag. I've found a few options, but I am curious what everyone else is using. Below of the three main competitors I have my eye on:

ARB Large Recovery Bag:
c03687586a830d24c9abf29d85f3a41a.jpg

Viking Recovery Gear Bag M4:
b44b585715e4e2f416c72d5c622a061e.jpg

Blue Ridge Overland Gear "Oh Crap, I'm Stuck":
c5d33e94ca8547327fd39987cb0a9963.jpg

My kit currently comprises of a 30' kinetic rope, 50' winch extension, 16' tree savor, a static recovery bridle, a few soft shackles, and of course, gloves. I am still shopping for a winch line block.

My guess is that everything I have may fit in the Viking or ARB, but I would need two Blue Ridge bags. I suppose there are pros and cons to splitting gear up. I'll end up needing a second bag anyway to keep my tire repair kit, airline hose, deflator, and hi-lift base plate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I use the 1000 den Cordura carry bag that my Border Patrol body armor came in about 16 years ago. Nice bag it's about 24x12x12, and I can't kill it. It holds my straps, Hi-Lift jack attachments, etc. At Overland Expo I bought a Safe-Jack bottle jack setup and it came with a really nice bag for everything to go in, made by Husky Tools. I believe that Husky Tools is Lowe's house brand and that the bags come in different sizes.

17M-JS810-Kit.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
I have that same Husky bag for my gear. It's sold at Home Depot, not Lowes, but I'm sure they have their own version that would work too.

No need for a 'name brand' recovery gear bag. it's just a bag...nothing special. As long as your junk fits and it doesn't self destruct no worries. And although I'm not a huge fan of Husky brand tools by a long shot, their bags are pretty good. I've been using their bags daily for work for years and they've never failed. In fact the reason I'm using one for recovery gear is because I retired it from my daily work routine when I changed to a different load-out (this was getting too heavy to carry and I went to a wheeled bag for work).

Take a look at them; good value for the money.

zelatore

Explorer
Here's the link on the Husky:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in-Tool-Bag-82003N11/203224309

$22. How much are the name brand bags?

I've got 6 shackles, 2 soft shackles, 3 snatch blocks, 2 tree straps, a tow strap, a snatch strap, and a 50' synthetic winch extension all in it. OK...it's tough to close but it fits perfectly wedged into the footwell behind my driver's seat. Granted, if I'm way down in a rut and can't open the door on that side it's a little tough to get to but you can still lean/climb/reach for it from the other side when that happens.

The name brand bags might do a better job of organizing since this is just an open bag, though I do fit shackles into the outside end pockets where they are easy to grab. But again, it's less than half the price of the ARB large bag and plenty durable.

Last edited:

RichardSines

@kmrtnsn and @zelatore, thank you for the responses. I'll check out the Husky bags.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Don't be afraid to check out your local surplus store as well. Lots of good ideas there. I use an old allice pack for my gear. Lets me pack it on my back if I need to and then drop it on the ground. Lots of pockets to organize shackles, tree savers, straps, ropes, chains, hooks, and snatch blocks.

sdsviet

Observer
All my recovery gear goes up top. There's mini bags in there to keep stuff from rolling or rattling. It's sorta a hard bag. Haha. I do have a few of the husky ones for tools and such.

bb7a89a35ae0db02b816f8a0146328cf.jpg

807661fc984c5d940ab9e6a5f5d7da5d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgaz

Adventurer
X2 on the Husky Brand Bags. I bought two a couple years ago for $9.95 each during Home Depot's Black Friday sale. Both are still going strong.

verdesardog

Explorer
here's my recovery "bag" it also includes 5 gal of diesel fuel, 3 gal of water and a couple of camp chairs:

DSC_30482.JPG

It is mostly for my dog to lay on and watch the world go by though.....

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I have the Blue Ridge bag and it's great. They just started offering a new, larger version. I have two straps, tree saver, gloves, D-rings on the outside, and a shackle mount all inside with room to spare (and that's the small bag).

cactusjk

Explorer
I have the Blue Ridge bag and it's great. They just started offering a new, larger version. I have two straps, tree saver, gloves, D-rings on the outside, and a shackle mount all inside with room to spare (and that's the small bag).

The Blue Ridge bags look great. Torn between the small and large. Sounds like your small is good enough.

MOguy

Explorer
Mine is in a back pack (frameless). I like to have the straps big enough so I can through it over my shoulders to keep my hands free. I pack that into an old fuel can I modified as my tool box and then strap it down.

RichardSines

@cactus, if you sign up for the Blue Ridge newsletter you get 10% off first purchase.

1Louder

Explorer
I use the 1000 den Cordura carry bag that my Border Patrol body armor came in about 16 years ago. Nice bag it's about 24x12x12, and I can't kill it. It holds my straps, Hi-Lift jack attachments, etc. At Overland Expo I bought a Safe-Jack bottle jack setup and it came with a really nice bag for everything to go in, made by Husky Tools. I believe that Husky Tools is Lowe's house brand and that the bags come in different sizes.

17M-JS810-Kit.jpg

Great recommendation! Bag fits two straps and enough gear easily. Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying a Rigid storage box but it couldn't fit both straps and has a much larger foot print.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles