Honda Generator

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
I was looking to pick up a generator and there's a Honda 2000 and a Honda 3000 in my area, both priced the same. Is there any reason not to buy the larger of the two, aside from easier transport of the 2000?

Chris Boyd

Explorer
3000 has a native 30 amp service plug. And a much bigger gas tank. To get 30Amp out of the 2000 you have to parallel two of them. If you don't need that much power, then the 2000 works great. I even have an adapter to run the fuel from a boat gas tank on the 2000. Not sure if it works on the newer CARB compatible units, but I'm guessing a Google search would turn it up.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Didn't know the 3000 had a 30 amp plug, although I don't think I'd need that. Still, a good option to have. I once owned a 2000, and was happy with that, but with the 3000 being the same price ($750), I think I may just jump on that deal.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Depends on the model

The super quiet 3k does NOT have a 30A recep. It DOES have a 21.6 amp twist lock though.

Biggest benefit by far for the 3k over the 2k is the electric start.
Although not recommended by Honda, it can and has been outfitted with remote start.

EU3000i

eu3000i-handi-front-panel.jpg

Compared to the EU2000

Thats my only beef with the 2k. No twist lock.

That said, I love my eu2000

control_panel.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I use the 2000 and love it. I had to carry it to a buddys camp this weekend to run a grinder. The 3000 is way better but it is big and very heavy. I talked to a certified Honda mechanic and he told me about a lady that lived off the grid on a 3000. She would bring it in every two weeks for oil changes. He said it was amazing how long that thing was lasting. If you can handle the size and weight then the 3000 are nice. They will power an RV roof air conditioner. Not well but if nothing else is on it it will run it fine. I run mobile one synthetic motorcycle race oil in it from Walmart but you still have to change it. At least it's as easy as dumping it out the filler. I run AV gas so I never have carb problems but if you use pump gas then learn how to pull the carb while your at home and in the day light. Good luck they are great generators.

Last edited:

Kiomon

Adventurer
if the price is the same, go for the 3000, hands down. We have two EU2000's and they are sweet. But the electric start, larger tank, and additional power all point toward the 3000. But remember the rates are peak power. The EU2000s are closer to 1600 watt continuous, and i think the EU is 2800 watts. Just something to keep in mind.

But please tell me how you are getting such a good deal on an EU3000

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Manual states first oil change @ 20 hrs

Then it is a every 100 hours (or 6 months)

Your guys are right and if you start it and the ready light comes on and does not blink it has less than 100 hours on it. If it blinks once then it's at 100 hours. 2 blinks=200 hours, 5 blinks=500 hours. That's what you need to know if you are buying one used because that is the hour meter. One blink for every hundred hours. You could just change the oil every time you saw an additional blink on startup.

mchambers

Observer
Thanks for the blinking light tip. I have been running a 2000 for 5 years now. runs 5 sets of 4 foot fluorescent lights and phone charger for eight hours on one gallon of gas. Amazing! I change the oil once a year when I take the truck down for maintenance and it has been a champ! Starts in 100 degree weather, starts in 0 degree weather.

dcg141

Adventurer
It just depends on needs. I have had both and I downsized in order to keep the 2000. Its just so much more portable. When I ditched my rig with a roof air I quit using the 3000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior