Kamper Build Aussie Style - Romers new Kimberley Karavan

Romer

Adventurer
I know, I called my Kimberley Kamper my Goldilocks Kamper in this thread, that it was just right. It was just right for over 5 years. The adventure trailer RRT setup was too small and uncomfortable for me.
Moab-pre-run-004.jpg

The Jayco offroad pop-up had gotten too big as you deployed two large beds and was poorly made. I couldn't really take it anywhere without a staple coming out or the glue would come apart. After 3 years of ownership the jayco canvas had shifted and a slew of other problems.
Rapid City & Camper 018.jpg

The Kimberly provided a well built product for just me or even when one of my daughters joined. I figured out I could use an Oztent as an annex when we needed room for more than two. It deployed quickly in under 5 minutes fully setup with the kitchen or 20-30 minutes deploying the awning to provide a large covered place from the rain etc. It went where ever I wanted to go and still looked like new at 13 years old. The Australian canvas is well made and only products from South Africa rival it.

Capture.JPG
I thought I would have this Kamper forever and pass it on to my kids.

I really liked Dendy's South African camper he was selling last year and thought about it, but wasn't able to pull the trigger financially. If I was going to upgrade I really liked the Kimberley Karavan Brad had swapped his Kamper for much better than the South African camper. Both are pretty cool though. I couldn't afford a Karavan either last year. Since both daughters are now on their own as independent adults, my Toy budget increased
I saw that Dutch was contemplating selling his Kimberley Karavan and started to research them out of curiosity. I really liked what I saw. Then with the $AUD dipping down to .7 I could buy a new one bare bones delivered for less than what Dutch was asking for before he decided to keep it.

Kimberley offered me a deal. The Classic model was on sale for a few more days. They also had a spot on a ship due to their shipping one of their larger Kruisers to the US and offered me a discount. I couldn't see ever being able to get this quality of vehicle for this $$ brand new again. After talking to Brad and Dutch and reviewing every Youtube video and review I could find, I decided to upgrade. My Kimberley Kamper quickly sold to a fellow member here who lived close by. The new Karavan goes anywhere the Kamper went and provides another level of comfort. AND it is just plain cool. I am hopeful with the on-board Toilet, shower and hot water I can convince my wife to go with me. My other setups, even the pop-up was too rustic for her.

I paid my $$ to Kimberley to lock the exchange rate and lucky I did as it has gone up since then.

I liked the Limited model with the airbag suspension, Lithium batteries and many other gadgets, but that would have been an extra $10-$12K and I was really spending more then I thought I ever would on a Kamper. I did add a few options though and will likely swap to Lithium batteries in the future

My Karavan will be shipping to the states next week on a slow boat and I will pick it up at the Port of LA after it passes customs. Since they have an import license, there won't be any issues titling it here in Colorado
There are hundreds maybe more or these in Australia being made for over 10 years. Brad Imported the first to the USA, Dutch the 2nd and I will be #4.

Like Brad and Dutch, they sent me pictures as the build progressed

Then it started coming together

image 11.JPGimage 4.jpgimage 5.jpgimage 6.jpgimage 7.jpgimage 8.jpgimage 11.JPGimage 15.JPG

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
A couple shots of the interior while it is still being built
image 14.JPGimage 13.JPG

doing an electrical test
image 10.JPG

It is out right now for a road test, then they finish the seats and install the mattress and then it ships to the port for the slow boat ride to the US

I really enjoy what they build. Their larger Kruisers are really sweet, but I wanted something that would go offroad and still fit in my garage. This is like a mini RV with all of its features

Here is a quick video on a 2012 model, mine is a 2016
Here are the specifications of what I ordered
  • Laser cut, interlocked, hot-dipped galvanised chassis & Independent trailing arm suspension
  • Coil Spring Suspension
  • Mono-tube FOX Racing Shox shock absorbers + Disc Brakes (2000kg rating) with Electronic control and One-Touch Park Brake + TREG off-road coupling + Semi-Pneumatic Jockey Wheel
  • 16x8 5S +50 ALLOY Toyota 150 (100 series RIMs) and BFG 265/75R16 AT
  • 300L Multibox front storage box, Space for 2 x 20L Jerry Cans + Space for Generator
  • Drawbar Extension
  • Dual Water System (70L front + 120L rear)
  • 60L Grey Water Tank
  • Diesel Hot Water
  • Dual Layer Foam Mattress
  • Extended Awning 2.2m
  • Magnetic Black Out Curtain Set
  • DVD CD Radio MP3 2 Speakers
  • Superlight Solar 220W+20A MPPT
  • Upper and Lower Seat Bed Bunk Bed Conversion
  • 200Ah - 2x100Ah AGM Batteries
  • Inside Shower
  • Outside Hot and Cold Shower at rear
  • Electric Flush Toilet
  • Bed Step with Space Heater
  • 40A Intelligent Batttery Charger + Inverter 600W Pure Sine Wave
  • INSIDE: Solid Surface (CorianTM Equivalent) Benchtop, Stainless Sink, Hot and Cold Water
  • INSIDE: Fridge with remote cooled compressor, elevated speed, freezer, 133L Upright
  • INSIDE: Diesel Cooktop: easy to keep clean, doubles as prep area when not used
  • OUTSIDE: Galley Kitchen with large sink & 2-Burner Stove with Griller
  • OUTSIDE: Large Single WOK Burner with large wind deflector ring

I should get a few more pictures prior to shipment. I can't wait:)

I spent hours going through Brads build multiple times and his adventures

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
What else can be said, other then Congratulations on the purchase of possibly the greatest camper known to man...

They are a thing of beauty, that's for sure!

Romer

Adventurer
Thanks Pat. I enjoyed watching you build yours. You have skills I never will have.

It's on its way to Brisbane and will sail on Nov 2nd with an expected arrival in Long Beach on Dec 6th after a stop in New Zealand

It is sailing with the larger Kruiser trailer from the Kimberley line for a guy who lives up in Boulder. He also said he has another one on order from someone in Breckenridge. I wonder if any of them are here on expo

weberjeff

Nice looking setup. I would be interested in getting a look at one of these. I'm over in Erie, so if you do get a chance to show it off let us know. I've never seen one of these up close before. If only Earth Roamer would make a trailer.

Romer

Adventurer
Congrats Ken...I'm in Denver also and would love to see this once it gets here. They are an amazing camper.

Nice looking setup. I would be interested in getting a look at one of these. I'm over in Erie, so if you do get a chance to show it off let us know. I've never seen one of these up close before. If only Earth Roamer would make a trailer.

Thanks Guys. I will look into doing that. Sometimes our offroad meetings with Rising Sun do an outside meeting and once we all brought our trailers to show off.

Thank you for this thread. I decided to pull the trigger so to speak on the Karavan that Dutch had offered up but then checked his thread and saw that he withdrew it. Now it looks as we too will be ordering new and I'm keen to learn of your impressions about certain options or features that you have chosen to add or omit and how you feel about those decisions. Like you I'm a bit hesitant to throw heaps of cash at a limited use item and would be looking to invest in the most beneficial upgrades that I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting to retrofit at a later date.

Again, thank you for the thread and for sharing your experiences.

Romer

Adventurer
Thank you for this thread. I decided to pull the trigger so to speak on the Karavan that Dutch had offered up but then checked his thread and saw that he withdrew it. Now it looks as we too will be ordering new and I'm keen to learn of your impressions about certain options or features that you have chosen to add or omit and how you feel about those decisions. Like you I'm a bit hesitant to throw heaps of cash at a limited use item and would be looking to invest in the most beneficial upgrades that I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting to retrofit at a later date.

Again, thank you for the thread and for sharing your experiences.

Happy to help

If I had a lot more cash I would have gone with the Limited due to the airbag suspension and Li batteries. I can upgrade the batteries myself for about the same cost and maybe cheaper if I wait a few years. The air bag suspension with the addition of the compressor and paddle switches (Extra cost on the Limited) would have made leveling a breeze. But, the suspension on the classic is the same as on my Kimberley Kamper, but with better shocks. I never had an issue with it either driving or even a problem setting up. The extra expense was not worth it to me and an airbag failing on the trail would be harder than a shock failing.

So I decided on the classic. Spending all that money without heat in the unit to me would be stupid. It's a luxury ride you shouldn't be shivering so I added heat

The magnetic curtains were a no brainier as they are custom to fit the windows

The classic comes with the shower enclosure and the toilet, but the shower is not plumbed inside. There still is the shower on the outside. I decided it would be nice to have the option of the inside shower even though you have to straddle the toilet to use it.

I originally did not get the grey water tank, but I looked at the cost of fitting one aftermarket and that some places require one, so I bite the bullet on that as well

I also upgraded the bench seats for the Bunk bed option. The seats themselves are then a bit bigger and I can sleep two more people with little fuss. Sometimes my daughters will go on trips with me and that just gives me more flexibility. It stays a bench seat if I don't need it and an easy quick conversion to double the sleeping capacity at not very much in cost

Feel free to PM me with your e-mail and I would be happy to communicate further

Thank you for this thread. Would you mind sharing your approximate shipping cost to the West Coast? Also, is Kimberly able to equip all electrical systems to work on US voltage with proper plugs, etc.? For the price, I'd not want to have to make any mods just to get things working. These look fantastic, and I think I can almost see my way clear to pulling the trigger in a year or so -- although if the AUD takes a dive that date could move.

I hope you will continue this thread post delivery with information and reviews/experiences. I'm sure many of us are interested and want as much info as possible before being brave enough to pull the trigger.

ripperj

Explorer
Romer; Kimberley offered me a deal. The Classic model was on sale for a few more days. They also had a spot on a ship due to their shipping one of their larger Kruisers to the US and offered me a discount. I couldn’t see ever being able to get this quality of vehicle for this $$ brand new again. After talking to Brad and Dutch and reviewing every Youtube video and review I could find said:
Like others have said congrats, that thing is awesome. Very very nice interior, like hauling a high end apt into the woods.

A daydream of that in my yard is exciting, a daydream of that minus the tongue and axle on a new Ram 5500 crew cab gets me NSFW :)

Your wife and mine sound similar, I'm sure we are not alone, maybe we should start a luxury Spa for the women to get deposited in, so we can go get lost, stuck in the mud, poison ivy and bitten by skeeters, oh- and drunk.

Sent from my Passport

Romer

Adventurer
Thank you for this thread. Would you mind sharing your approximate shipping cost to the West Coast? Also, is Kimberly able to equip all electrical systems to work on US voltage with proper plugs, etc.? For the price, I'd not want to have to make any mods just to get things working. These look fantastic, and I think I can almost see my way clear to pulling the trigger in a year or so -- although if the AUD takes a dive that date could move.

I hope you will continue this thread post delivery with information and reviews/experiences. I'm sure many of us are interested and want as much info as possible before being brave enough to pull the trigger.

Shipping was free. I understand sometimes they charge $3500 AUD, but I filled out another order. Everything is wired for US voltage. They installed the US 110V electrical outlets for when on shore power. No mods are required for the US. The only Mod I will be making is adding a 110V microwave. The one they have is for Australia. They did get me a Setero setup (included) that works on US DVD formats

plug.JPG

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
It was loaded on a ship in Brisbane yesterday. It sails to Sydney, then New Zealand and on to the states

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier