Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Finally got back to Austin a few days ago and I took the Jeep to get an alignment yesterday. It helped, but the thrust angle is still in the red so I will be going back tomorrow to see if we can double check everything. There is also still a slight drift to the right and the steering wheel is off slightly.

I STILL haven't heard anything from insurance or the other person involved. A little frustrating but I will try to get some information tomorrow. I still have not contacted any shops to fix the crossmember or bumper. Sigh, it will need to be repaired eventually but I really hate even thinking about how much that is going to cost. :(

Replacement AEV crush cans have been ordered. Damn! 80ish bucks for 2 and shipping!

BETTER NEWS: I finally installed my 2010 soft top and man I LOVE IT. I never realized how much the hardtop weighs down the JKU.

I have taken a look at the steering components and it looks to me that everything is fine. I will include a picture with one part of the steering setup that I am iffy about but I don't know if that would be the cause of the steering wheel still being off and the drift to the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 59

thethePete

Explorer
Your alignment is still not even close to right if it drifts and your thrust angle is off. Something is severely bent, and if they couldn't find it you need to find a better shop. Thrust angle tells me your axle got pushed back on one side, or your trac bar could be bent. Can you post your alignment sheet? It should have before and after numbers, I'll be able to tell you a lot more if I can see that. If nothing looks off on the alignment sheet (I doubt it), it will need to go to a collision shop so they can check your frame.

The arrow is pointing to your drag link and pitman arm. That's the one piece that connects your steering wheel to your tires. If there is play there it will give you a wobble and or a wander while driving, but not a pull. Pull is caused by uneven castor, axle setback or in extreme cases; camber. Toe does not cause a pull it causes uneven and poor tire wear and can cause the wheel to be off centre. I'm beginning to strongly suspect your frame is bent near where the steering box connects, or one of your axle links is bent. Again, a thorough inspection by a good technician should illuminate that pretty quickly. Posting your alignment sheet will help to figure out what's bent.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Your alignment is still not even close to right if it drifts and your thrust angle is off. Something is severely bent, and if they couldn't find it you need to find a better shop. Thrust angle tells me your axle got pushed back on one side, or your trac bar could be bent. Can you post your alignment sheet? It should have before and after numbers, I'll be able to tell you a lot more if I can see that. If nothing looks off on the alignment sheet (I doubt it), it will need to go to a collision shop so they can check your frame.

The arrow is pointing to your drag link and pitman arm. That's the one piece that connects your steering wheel to your tires. If there is play there it will give you a wobble and or a wander while driving, but not a pull. Pull is caused by uneven castor, axle setback or in extreme cases; camber. Toe does not cause a pull it causes uneven and poor tire wear and can cause the wheel to be off centre. I'm beginning to strongly suspect your frame is bent near where the steering box connects, or one of your axle links is bent. Again, a thorough inspection by a good technician should illuminate that pretty quickly. Posting your alignment sheet will help to figure out what's bent.

Back at the shop right now to straighten out the alignment. I have attached the original spec sheet from 2 days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 51

thethePete

Explorer
Your rear axle is crooked. That's your screwed up thrust angle, and you've got either a bent knuckle, or bent axle c. I'd need to see the rest of the alignment specs to know for sure, but your SAI and included angle will tell that tale. Your camber is your pull though.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

thethePete

Explorer
I could bet it's a bent control arm or some sort of bent steering component.
I've said that several times. And a competent shop should've found that before even attempting an alignment. Not to mention with it that far out, it should've never left the shop. Man, are good mechanics and shops really that hard to find in the US?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep Pete, in and out the door....No questions asked....no care for the outcome. And its not just US, its Canada too. I had my mazda 5 in the shop numerous times for a squealing AC belt. The mechanic ordered a new belt and installed....THE WRONG ONE! IDIOT. He replaced the alternator side, when I clearly had the car into the shop probably 6 times before about the belt squealing when the AC pump cut in. Dummies everywhere.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I have taken the Jeep to a shop to get an estimate on the front crossmember.... aaaaand I've decided to told off repairing it till a later date. The reason why is because its around 700 dollars worth of work and I don't want to spend that money right now on something that is not crucial. And no Insurance would not be paying for it as it is lower than my deductible. It bugs me to see the bumper pushed in a little bit on the passenger side but I can live with it. I will be replacing the front crush cans soon.

In other news, I got my soft top from a 2007-2008ish JKU installed and I love having it. Really makes me want to sell it and upgrade to a sunrider premium top but it was a gift and Im not complaining.
YvbbPtc.jpg

I also invested in a custom Spiderweb Shade and I love it. Top quality and helps quiet the ride a bit when the top is down. It is a custom 48 star American Flag. My great grandfather served in the Navy in WW2 so I thought a 48 star flag would be a nice way to honor his service as well as my Grandfather in Vietnam and uncle in the 1990s. Noticeable difference in temp in the cabin even when the Texas sun is beating down on it. Install was pretty straightforward. I have noted that when putting the top up though that the spider balls on the latch hooks need to be undone to make putting the top back on easier.
XVXR832.jpg

wUGhGqb.jpg

Currently looking into getting some maintenance work done like oil, etc. Will hopefully be installing some BFG Ko2's sometime within the next few weeks. :)

Also going to order the FrontRunner dropdown tailgate table because.... its like 100 bucks.... and why not its Jeep parts.... haha

Also (Again), I am looking into getting some Bartact seat covers, anyone have them?
kyLByvu.jpg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I would get it driving right again before adding new tires. you will wear them quickly with your rig driving like a crab and pulling all over the place. Just a thought.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I would get it driving right again before adding new tires. you will wear them quickly with your rig driving like a crab and pulling all over the place. Just a thought.

Kind of what I was thinking. Would be a shame to ruin a brand new set of tires, and it doesn't take long to make them wear irregular.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
sigh

The front cross member damage DOES NOT AFFECT the way the Jeep drives on the road! I should have updated the thread about this. :coffee:

The alignment straighten out the drive and it drives fine now. I am 99% certain that there is nothing else to fix (Besides the front crossmember) that is a vital part of the Jeep. I have had the steering components looked at and they are A OK.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

sigh

The front cross member damage DOES NOT AFFECT the way the Jeep drives on the road! I should have updated the thread about this. :coffee:

The alignment straighten out the drive and it drives fine now. I am 99% certain that there is nothing else to fix (Besides the front crossmember) that is a vital part of the Jeep. I have had the steering comments looked at and they are A OK.

Ok, the last update was the jeep was pulling bad, and there was "something" tweaked somewhere in the front end. No, the cross member tweaked is no big deal. I would get r fixed tho, as if you are running larger tires, then the bumper can contact the tires upon flexing.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ok, the last update was the jeep was pulling bad, and there was "something" tweaked somewhere in the front end. No, the cross member tweaked is no big deal. I would get r fixed tho, as if you are running larger tires, then the bumper can contact the tires upon flexing.

Yea my fault for not updating the thread. The alignment straignented out the drive and it drives great now. I will be getting that front crossmember fixed but at a latter date, especially because its going to be out of pocket. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz