Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Just wanted to chime in on your anxiety for the GDE. I've done that trip with Jake and NMBR, and he is a top notch dude and it is an epic trip. You will not be disappointed...everything about it is first rate. Let me know if you have any specific questions on what to expect. Enjoy!

Awesome! I've been in contact with him pretty regularly to get everything squared away and have everything double checked. I am currently a full time student and that week before the trip ill be moving out and taking finals.

I guess the only question I have for you is is the GDE really heavy on driving? As in when you get done with breakfast in the morning is it pretty much pedal to the metal till the end of the day?

hutch40

Yeah there are a lot of miles to cover each day so the pace is pretty brisk. On my run, a couple of days were longer then there were a few days where we'd get into camp quite a bit earlier and have a good amount of in-camp time. A lot of it depends on the group as well. With that said though, there were never any days where I was completely beat or anything like that...there's such great scenery and so much to see it feels like it goes by in the blink of an eye an you want to turn around and do it again.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Yeah there are a lot of miles to cover each day so the pace is pretty brisk. On my run, a couple of days were longer then there were a few days where we'd get into camp quite a bit earlier and have a good amount of in-camp time. A lot of it depends on the group as well. With that said though, there were never any days where I was completely beat or anything like that...there's such great scenery and so much to see it feels like it goes by in the blink of an eye an you want to turn around and do it again.

Good to know. I can do long days I just hoped that it wasn't going to be something like we would get to camp at 10PM kinda deal.

Compared to Texas, New Mexico looks like it has killer views, can't wait to head out!

hutch40

Good to know. I can do long days I just hoped that it wasn't going to be something like we would get to camp at 10PM kinda deal.

Compared to Texas, New Mexico looks like it has killer views, can't wait to head out!
No nothing like that unless there is some breakdown in the group or something like that. But if i remember correctly it was around 3-5 PM arrival each day. Enjoy!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got back into Austin today after 200 miles of I-35.

So tires had a bit too much air but otherwise than that the Jeep drove fine. I does seem to ride a little rough for some reason, could be the tires.

Just need to make a micro adjustment on the turnbuckle to turn the steering wheel to the left a smidge and that should dial it in.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So my tires may be out of balance... again. That is really the only thing that is explaining the vibration I'm feeling when driving. This is really frustrating because I had them rebalanced just a month ago.

It is really driving me crazy, I know for a fact that the Jeep has driven smoother before with the same tires and lift. I don't think the new Steer Smarts Trackbar has anything to do with it, all the bolts were torqued to spec and there is no interference (that I'm aware of) with any component.

Maybe my tie-rod is starting to go out but I don't think so. I took a look on the Steer Smarts website at their tie-rod and drag link and I think that combo is a pretty good deal. I may heavily consider swapping to heavy-duty steering components after the Ghost Divide Expedition.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I was worried about this but it seems that I may have a clearance issue with the Steer Smarts Track Bar and my Ultimate Dana 44 diff cover. When the axle articulates from the passenger wheel up, the trackbar is contacting the outer fins of the diff cover. I may get a metal filer and file down the fins to have them clear. I can see a small bit of red paint on the fins. It's not major but can be an issue in the future.

Got an appointment to get the tires looked at on Friday. I need to see if A: they are out of round and B: if rotating the tires at all along with a road-force balance will cure my ride issue.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So tires were low today, around 24PSI. I pumped them up to around 27ish PSI and believe it or not I think the ride issue has been solved. I posted on my Austin Jeep facebook group what they run for pressure with 35s and they said 30PSI. I will try 30 out tomorrow but just having them at 28 made a pretty big difference.

theksmith

Explorer
30 PSI is a typical starting point for larger aftermarket A/T or M/T tires. there's a ton of variables including vehicle weight, sidewall stiffness/thickness (i.e. plys & load rating), sidewall profile/height, etc.

i'm running 35-R17 M/T's at 31 PSI on my JKUR, i would expect your A/T's might need a tad more.

Google "tire chalc test" for a simple way to establish a good street pressure that will produce even tread wear.

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Engine oil and transmission fluid have been flushed out and replaced. Ready to go mechanically for the Ghost Divide Expedition!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I just wrapped up the New Mexico Backroads Ghost Divide Expedition and I can say without a doubt it was fantastic. Still going through and editing a ton of photos so I am currently working on a full writeup of the trip like I did for my Big Bend/ Marfa trip in December.

Overland Expo West was intense and amazing. I have never been to an event like it before and the amount of rigs, equiptment, and people was emense. I got a ton of new ideas for the Jeep. The Goose Gear plate system is on the list, along with some of KC's Gravity Pro 6 Driving lights. Also got a ton of Schwag which is always a good thing haha.

Jeep performed great. No one on the trip suffered any major issues aside from a high transmision temp. warning from a guy in our group running the 3.8L V6 in his wrangler and the old 4 speed auto. It only sprang up once. Although I did have a minor issue regarding the Steer Smarts trackbar and the Ultimate Dana 44 diff cover. The two don't seem to jive and the trackbar has been grinding down the fins of the cover. Going to either grind down the fins or get new diff covers front and rear.

Anyway, a full write up and photos from the trip are coming soon.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ordered a set of KC Hilities Gravity Pro 6 Driving lights (Say that 10 times fast). Should be really good light output that is street legal.

hutch40

So I just wrapped up the New Mexico Backroads Ghost Divide Expedition and I can say without a doubt it was fantastic. Still going through and editing a ton of photos so I am currently working on a full writeup of the trip like I did for my Big Bend/ Marfa trip in December.

Overland Expo West was intense and amazing. I have never been to an event like it before and the amount of rigs, equiptment, and people was emense. I got a ton of new ideas for the Jeep. The Goose Gear plate system is on the list, along with some of KC's Gravity Pro 6 Driving lights. Also got a ton of Schwag which is always a good thing haha.

Jeep performed great. No one on the trip suffered any major issues aside from a high transmision temp. warning from a guy in our group running the 3.8L V6 in his wrangler and the old 4 speed auto. It only sprang up once. Although I did have a minor issue regarding the Steer Smarts trackbar and the Ultimate Dana 44 diff cover. The two don't seem to jive and the trackbar has been grinding down the fins of the cover. Going to either grind down the fins or get new diff covers front and rear.

Anyway, a full write up and photos from the trip are coming soon.
Glad you enjoyed it! Jake runs a great trip.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Glad you enjoyed it! Jake runs a great trip.

No kidding! My dad and I had a fantastic time out in the Gila and the whole trip was just awesome.

I am considering doing another one of his trips in the monsoon season to see how far I can challenge myself and my equipment with the weather being poor.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So good news! Disconectted the subwoofer in the back and I can report that the stero is still kicking!

I had to adjust a few settings in the headunit and equilizer to get it sounding good again but honestly the speakers in the front give me plenty of bass for the music I listen to.

I can tell a slight lack of bass when I listen to Hip Hop or any of my Eminem songs on Spotify but either way everything sounds good.

Well that gives me the green light for the goose gear plate system in a month or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles