Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So took the Jeep to the dealership (or stealerships as I like to call them. Lol) The service guy said they would have to charge me 72 bucks just to get the techs to look at it and "diagnosis" what was the problem. It took about thirty minutes and was pretty happy when he said that they were not going to charge me.

Reason being is that they took it over to body and those guys said that they would have to cut a hole in the tub where the bolt is located and weld a new bolt on, repaint the floor, etc. He didn't give me an estimate but he said that it would be "exorbitantly expensive." I have a guess they would probably charge me thousand upwards to get the bolt fixed.

He did say that I should be OK to drive with it though, since the other 5 bolts are torqued down.

Going to be driving this coming weekend down to Austin from Fort Worth. Will report if anything happens.

Also going to get in touch with my Jeep shop in Austin and see if they have any solutions for me.

jeep670

Adventurer
So took the Jeep to the dealership (or stealerships as I like to call them. Lol) The service guy said they would have to charge me 72 bucks just to get the techs to look at it and "diagnosis" what was the problem. It took about thirty minutes and was pretty happy when he said that they were not going to charge me.

Reason being is that they took it over to body and those guys said that they would have to cut a hole in the tub where the bolt is located and weld a new bolt on, repaint the floor, etc. He didn't give me an estimate but he said that it would be "exorbitantly expensive." I have a guess they would probably charge me thousand upwards to get the bolt fixed.

He did say that I should be OK to drive with it though, since the other 5 bolts are torqued down.

Going to be driving this coming weekend down to Austin from Fort Worth. Will report if anything happens.

Also going to get in touch with my Jeep shop in Austin and see if they have any solutions for me.
But those bolts are not welded. Why would they welt one in?
I suggest get a new bolt from parts and replace the stripped one.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Currently at 60,000 miles right now and wondering if I should start considering replacing suspension bushings. Does anyone know when a good time to replace control arm bushings are?

I replaced mine too late...and i run heavy and drive/tow long distances, also heavy. If I recall, it was around 80-90ishk. I used factory take off arms. HUGE differnce. Enxt step is all the sway bar bushings as they have appeared to have collapsed a bit. Body mounts will be sometime soon too.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I replaced mine too late...and i run heavy and drive/tow long distances, also heavy. If I recall, it was around 80-90ishk. I used factory take off arms. HUGE differnce. Enxt step is all the sway bar bushings as they have appeared to have collapsed a bit. Body mounts will be sometime soon too.

Yea I think my main issue was just that my body bolts were loose. Drives fantastic now. Drove 3 hours on the interstate and at the end had little driver fatigue. I'll probably look at replacing bushings in the next 20K. I don't load my Jeep very often so i'm pretty light.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Just ordered the AEV IPF backup light.

Not thrilled its a halogen bulb, but I really want the wiring harness to have it turn on automatically or manually with the three-way switch.

If I don't like the halogen bulb, I can always swap an LED bulb in the housing or just get new LED lights.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
So I ordered a Trailgater. I want the plastic for ease of cleanup and being able to load in dishwasher. However they are 3 weeks back order for the plastic. What is the upkeep for the bamboo??

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I ordered a Trailgater. I want the plastic for ease of cleanup and being able to load in dishwasher. However they are 3 weeks back order for the plastic. What is the upkeep for the bamboo??

Nice! You'll love the Trailgater.

To be honest, I've never used the cutting board to actually cut food on it. Ive had it on for almost a year and it looks brand new. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep clean.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Nice! You'll love the Trailgater.

To be honest, I've never used the cutting board to actually cut food on it. Ive had it on for almost a year and it looks brand new. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep clean.
Did your plastic pieces pull out yet? Several of mine did after a few months...I ended up putting in nutserts as there was too much slop.

Edit : love the table though. I've had it for several years now.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Did your plastic pieces pull out yet? Several of mine did after a few months...I ended up putting in nutserts as there was too much slop.

Edit : love the table though. I've had it for several years now.

One did but I figured out why. I have wiring for my backup camera running behind the table. I guess I didn't seat the cables flush enough and it kept pushing up on the table.

Got a new insert and reset the cables about 6 months ago. Haven't had an issue.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Wrapped up a quick trip down to Austin this past weekend.

I don't think the stripped body bolt was any issue. Drove great the whole trip.

Currently looking at getting Steersmarts linkage in the front. I can feel some vibration through the wheel which gives me the hint that maybe the tierod and draglink are starting to give. Going to reach out to Tribe 4x4 here in Fort Worth to see if they can do the work. Also will ask them if they could fix my stripped body bolt issue.

With the historic rainfall in central Texas, I got a little puddle in the Jeep. It's small, and honestly, I am not going to worry about it. Its a Jeep and it is usually under covered parking.
hbw5Xde.jpg

Sitting pretty.
Zvsnzqg.jpg

I-35 North.
RhmQakb.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Wrapped up a quick trip down to Austin this past weekend.

I don't think the stripped body bolt was any issue. Drove great the whole trip.

Currently looking at getting Steersmarts linkage in the front. I can feel some vibration through the wheel which gives me the hint that maybe the tierod and draglink are starting to give. Going to reach out to Tribe 4x4 here in Fort Worth to see if they can do the work. Also will ask them if they could fix my stripped body bolt issue.

With the historic rainfall in central Texas, I got a little puddle in the Jeep. It's small, and honestly, I am not going to worry about it. Its a Jeep and it is usually under covered parking.
hbw5Xde.jpg

Sitting pretty.
Zvsnzqg.jpg

I-35 North.
RhmQakb.jpg

I think I may have a small leak too. Can’t really tell because it might be from my shoes. We’ve had similar rains in Dallas. Not worried about it either.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I think I may have a small leak too. Can’t really tell because it might be from my shoes. We’ve had similar rains in Dallas. Not worried about it either.

Yea with the mostly sunny days in Texas i'm not worried about it. If I lived in the Northwest that might be a different story!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got my IPF rear light in today.

Going to install it tomorrow. Way to wet in DFW area to work on electrical. Tomorrow should finally be clear skies.

I like the look of the light, classic. Will have to see if it performs well. Wiring harness looks like such a joy.

00oWtLn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne