Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Alright so I am considering upgrading my suspension system. The AEV 2.5" has been a fine suspension for the last several years however I think it is starting to not fit my needs as much. Most notably I saw when I had my gas caddy filled on the GDE I had a really bad sag in the rear. Recently I have been experiencing harsh ride quality.

I was originally considering the AEV 3.5" lift however I have some gripes with it. I am having to pay for kit I already have (procal, stock jack base, drop brackets) and I think it is a bit overpriced for what I am getting. I have recently been researching Metalcloak suspension. Since I already have a heavy duty front trackbar, tie rod, and draglink, the True Dual-Rate 3.5" lift from them is looking really appealing. It has the things that I would want/need without having to sell me things I already have. Does anyone have Rocksport 3.5" lift or any of their lifts? How is the ride on and off-road? Load handling?

Sand1235

My brothers 12 JKUR has their full 3.5" lift with Fox shocks. And that's the best riding Jeep I've been in. It's on 35" KO2 tires.

Alright so I am considering upgrading my suspension system. The AEV 2.5" has been a fine suspension for the last several years however I think it is starting to not fit my needs as much. Most notably I saw when I had my gas caddy filled on the GDE I had a really bad sag in the rear. Recently I have been experiencing harsh ride quality.

I was originally considering the AEV 3.5" lift however I have some gripes with it. I am having to pay for kit I already have (procal, stock jack base, drop brackets) and I think it is a bit overpriced for what I am getting. I have recently been researching Metalcloak suspension. Since I already have a heavy duty front trackbar, tie rod, and draglink, the True Dual-Rate 3.5" lift from them is looking really appealing. It has the things that I would want/need without having to sell me things I already have. Does anyone have Rocksport 3.5" lift or any of their lifts? How is the ride on and off-road? Load handling?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ordered up some KC flood lights with their JK Windshield mounts from Northridge 4x4 and finally got them in today and installed them. Install was pretty straightforward, having the sPOD has seriously saved me a ton of time with the wiring. All I had to do was cut the KC harness off where the red and black leads started to merge with the harness ground and plugged those leads into the sPOD. Quality of the lights and brackets are awesome, they put out a lot of light.

Haven't seen what they can do in total darkness yet but will figure that out soon. Also ordered up a set of black Bartact seat covers from Northridge as well. Want to protect my leather with the more miles the Jeep keeps getting.

65WOS5b.jpg

UcS2u5x.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Installed the Bartact seat covers the other day. Kinda of a pain in the rear but got everything in place. Love the seat covers, they are super durable and surprisingly add a bit of side bolstering. Still need some time to break them in but so far love them.

inExklO.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Installed the Bartact seat covers the other day. Kinda of a pain in the rear but got everything in place. Love the seat covers, they are super durable and surprisingly add a bit of side bolstering. Still need some time to break them in but so far love them.

inExklO.jpg

Best seat covers on the market.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
After my great trip with NMBR in May 2018 to Overland Expo, I am registered to go on the new River To the Sky expedition in July. Its a 4 day trip from Northern New Mexico to Colorado and I am expecting the scenery to be incredible.

It's February but I am starting to think of things to do differently from the GDE back in 2018. One thing I am going to do for sure is to remove the side sub-woofer and replace it with the non sub-woofer panel. It should free up quite a bit of room in the rear.

Also I am going to get in contact with Tribe 4x4 in the coming months to get a few possible things done. I am planning on getting a matching Dana Spicer 44 diff cover for the rear axle. Also wanting to get a new rear trackbar bracket from AEV for the 2.5" lift to correct the roll center. The dealership I went to years ago removed it for some unknown reason and I want to replace it. I may also be thinking about a roof rack and an AEV heat reduction hood now that they are back in stock but I am undecided on spending that cash. Finally I need to get a new bolt for the steering stabilizer bracket that fell off back in December. The steering has been solid now with the Steer Smarts linkage so I have been procrastinating about getting it reinstalled.

Updates will come in the future.

Presto88

Adventurer
I've been thinking about a heat reduction hood too. I think that when I'm ready to pull the trigger, I might just go ahead and see if I can't add vents to my current hood first. It's nerve-racking to think about cutting into my hood, but if it goes poorly then I'll just go ahead and get the AEV hood. If it goes well then I will have saved myself quite a bit of cash.......which will, of course, be spent on the Jeep.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I ran it with ARB shocks on my last Jeep, a 4 door JK with 35's and heavy Expedition One bumpers front and rear, and it was fantastic. Best suspension I have owned and great customer service. I will be adding one to new JK shortly.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So for the RTS trip I am considering getting a roof rack so that I can mount stuff up top and maybe an awning. I really like the Rhino Rack Backbone system because it allows me to take the hardtop off no issue unlike say the Gobi rack or the AEV rack. Also it is very aerodynamic and looks good.

I have the Frontrunner interior shelf and my question is has anyone installed the backbone system with the frontrunner interior shelf? I am worried that there would be some interference because they mount in the same area (where the hardtop connects to the tub).

I am going to ask around the shops I am thinking of getting the work done at but again I am not 100% committed to the idea. I don't really like that I have to drill into my hardtop but then again its fiber glass so patching it up shouldn't be too much of an issue.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
So for the RTS trip I am considering getting a roof rack so that I can mount stuff up top and maybe an awning. I really like the Rhino Rack Backbone system because it allows me to take the hardtop off no issue unlike say the Gobi rack or the AEV rack. Also it is very aerodynamic and looks good.

I have the Frontrunner interior shelf and my question is has anyone installed the backbone system with the frontrunner interior shelf? I am worried that there would be some interference because they mount in the same area (where the hardtop connects to the tub).

I am going to ask around the shops I am thinking of getting the work done at but again I am not 100% committed to the idea. I don't really like that I have to drill into my hardtop but then again its fiber glass so patching it up shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any updates on the roof rack??

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Went to get an oil change today and while I was there asked about getting the engine coolant topped off since it has started to run hot when going up inclines around 3,000RPM. They came back to me and said that my engine oil cooler housing is leaking oil. Great.

New housing ordered.

denverjeep

Thanks for this wonderful writeup. Just starting the process of planning a build, nothing nuts. 2.5", 315s other fun stuff. Good luck with the suspension issues and the rest of the build. From the sound of things, the build is never completed it's just always waiting for new parts. :)

Interesting is hearing what you think of the Frontrunner storage system. I travel with a smaller dog and wondering what the space is between the cargo area and top of tray. Thanks!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Thanks for this wonderful writeup. Just starting the process of planning a build, nothing nuts. 2.5", 315s other fun stuff. Good luck with the suspension issues and the rest of the build. From the sound of things, the build is never completed it's just always waiting for new parts. :)

Interesting is hearing what you think of the Frontrunner storage system. I travel with a smaller dog and wondering what the space is between the cargo area and top of tray. Thanks!

Thank!

So with the Frontrunner shelf it has several adjustments and mine currently is set to the 2nd highest. If you want more space between the cargo floor and it, I believe Vector makes one that mounts to the roll bar and it higher up than the highest setting on the Frontrunner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles