Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

unkamonkey

Explorer
Being a grumpy old fart here. DO NOT HAVE CARPET IN A JEEP. I've had Jeeps for something like 47 years and every Jeep that had carpet on the floor had rust issues. My MB, the CJ3B, my neighbors CJ7. As soon as I bought the Commando, I cut the carpet out. Oh, look, just some surface rust that I used some rust converter on. You can do what you want but I just told you what I experienced over the years.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Being a grumpy old fart here. DO NOT HAVE CARPET IN A JEEP. I've had Jeeps for something like 47 years and every Jeep that had carpet on the floor had rust issues. My MB, the CJ3B, my neighbors CJ7. As soon as I bought the Commando, I cut the carpet out. Oh, look, just some surface rust that I used some rust converter on. You can do what you want but I just told you what I experienced over the years.

Trust me I want to bed line the interior as much as the next guy but my issue is I'm not sure if it will kill my warranty early. I would like to keep that as long as possible. After 36,000 miles/ 3 years I'm doing what ever.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
OK. I just thought of a really good overland trip I would want to do sometime during Christmas/ early 2016 would be the Trinity bomb site in New Mexico.

Living in central Texas and having grandparents who live in West Texas, I could drive one day to West Texas and the next would be to the Trinity Bomb site and back.

I think the Trinity bomb site would be a cool first expedition for the Jeep and see where the first Nuclear bomb was detonated.

Has anyone been?

rubicon91

Explorer
Trust me I want to bed line the interior as much as the next guy but my issue is I'm not sure if it will kill my warranty early. I would like to keep that as long as possible. After 36,000 miles/ 3 years I'm doing what ever.

What part of the warranty are you killing by pulling out the carpet? Your warranty issues when arise are fine as long as any mods did not cause them. I think you pulling the carpet out would not effect anything with the warranty that I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unkamonkey

Explorer
The neigbor with the CJ7 and another boy with a YJ both did the bedliner stuff. Both are peeling now. One rolled and used brushes and the other sprayed it in. I think a lack of proper prep work in both cases. (I tried to tell them) The person with the CJ7 had the bed in his F350 done by a professional shop. His son has it now and he piles in all sorts of stuff in the bed at the farm. There might be a scrape or two but otherwise, it is in great shape.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
This was yesterday but thats because I was on the road all day yesterday.

My Dad and I went up to Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls and went 4 wheeling. My dad was driving our 2002 TJ sport with the 4.0L and a manual. I was in the 2014 JKU in Anvil and was pretty comfy. The reason why we brought two vehicles is that because I haven't started a true build on my JKU, if I needed a tow or if one of us broke down, we could still get out of the situation. Also the main reason is because the TJ has a Warn 8K winch. It was great fun, lots of mud which thank god we didn't get stuck. Here are some of the pictures I got.

Q7pHpfR.jpg

Gjk8pU4.jpg

iQf9vN4.jpg

hq5Os4f.jpg

pqurVLV.jpg

W54qMYp.jpg

bYUzh5B.jpg

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
Hey, welcome from another central Texican. Until recently my parents lived in Marble Falls but would you believe I've never been to Hidden Falls? My daughter is about to turn 16 and is convinced the JKU will be hers. She's probably right so I'll be in the T4R pretty soon.
IMAG0138_zpsmhhhckwp.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Hey, welcome from another central Texican. Until recently my parents lived in Marble Falls but would you believe I've never been to Hidden Falls? My daughter is about to turn 16 and is convinced the JKU will be hers. She's probably right so I'll be in the T4R pretty soon.
IMAG0138_zpsmhhhckwp.jpg

I get that reference! #RepublicofTexas Good to see another central Texican on the forums! Hidden falls is awesome! The trails are beautiful and challenging on some of the higher end trails. I scarped my frame about 4 times because I don't have a lift on my Jeep. I used to have a 4th gen 4Runner but I sold it because it was 2WD. Love both of the rigs man!

Tombstone17

Observer
Hey Capt. check out rightchannelradios.com, for that set up for your CB. I went with them and the cool tech mike hanger that goes under your grab bar and is angled to the driver. The radio box goes behind the glove box and is fed through the lower part of your dash. That way it can be removed and locked up if you leave your Jeep parked... There are how to video and pics on The JK Forum...

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Christmas came early for me. Got some great stuff from my family and went to go get it installed. The Grab-bars are possible the most frustrating thing I have EVER installed on any vehicle ever. The front two grab bars were the tough part. The backdoor ones were easy as cake, I have no idea why the front was so damn hard to install!

I finally got them installed and they work great. I also got a neoprene center console cover, Mopar fuel door, and a fire extinguisher mount for the roll bar. Pretty good christmas this year!

I finally have the funds to get some real work done to my Jeep. I am planing on getting the AEV 2.5" lift with the front and rear AEV bumpers. I am going to wait on wheels and tires because I am still undecided, not enough $$$ and I want to wear out the tires I already have on there.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year y'all!
doWntFV.jpg

Ju994B3.jpg

8ym1tgC.jpg

Y4xIylR.jpg

Last edited:

jnr0104

KF5WTB
Have the same grab bars in my 2014 Rubicon 4dr, agree on the front install, Also beware when you get out of back seat, have had several of family hit heads on the rear bars.
Wife and I just got back from trip to Orlando in the Jeep, wasn't bad at all. Kinda nice being on the highway for a change, spend 90% of my time here on the ranch in the Coastal Bend area of Texas.
This is the 17th Jeep I have owned .Got First CJ5 new in 1975, have had Jeeps ever since. Mine is loaded with radio gear, ham, and our ranch business radio. Last 4 Jeeps , I have left stock, I'm 62 now and climbing in and out of a lifted Jeep is not that much fun any more, the Rubicons are plenty well built for what I do here at the ranch without rebuilding them anyway. I also still own a 2008 4dr that we keep at a house we have in Rockport ,Tx. Hard to beat a Wrangler in my opinion.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Have the same grab bars in my 2014 Rubicon 4dr, agree on the front install, Also beware when you get out of back seat, have had several of family hit heads on the rear bars.
Wife and I just got back from trip to Orlando in the Jeep, wasn't bad at all. Kinda nice being on the highway for a change, spend 90% of my time here on the ranch in the Coastal Bend area of Texas.
This is the 17th Jeep I have owned .Got First CJ5 new in 1975, have had Jeeps ever since. Mine is loaded with radio gear, ham, and our ranch business radio. Last 4 Jeeps , I have left stock, I'm 62 now and climbing in and out of a lifted Jeep is not that much fun any more, the Rubicons are plenty well built for what I do here at the ranch without rebuilding them anyway. I also still own a 2008 4dr that we keep at a house we have in Rockport ,Tx. Hard to beat a Wrangler in my opinion.

The back seat is a pain to get into and out of anyway. I was getting in the rear to install them and nocked my head hard on the hardtop!

Wow! Quite the collection! I was originally looking at a TRD Pro 4Runner but I am glad I went with the Wrangler. The solid front axle is very helpful when the terrain is hard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles