Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

xbombtek

Observer
I'll be in NM in July! Haha
Where are you planning? Time for some exploring or have a full schedule already?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Alright so I've been lazy in terms of swapping all the photos on this thread from Photobucket (******* you) due to them switching their 3rd party hosting policy to another site that can display the images for free.

Already set up an Imgur account but don't really know where to start. Is there any way to just swap the links from Photobucket to Imgur? Do I have to re-upload all my photos to Imgur and replace the links?

I've got some new pics and updates for the Jeep but want to fix all the damn broken links from Photobucket to breath some fresh life into this tread.

And also I'm shooting for a possible 4.56 re-gear and AEV snorkel around the end of the year. :sombrero:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Well I developed a system to replace the photos from Photobucket to Imgur. It is going to take me a while but I've got most of the recent photos replaced so no more missing photos!

Moved to Fort Worth for school and snagged this while exploring downtown:
KKMyqqS.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Nice to see some other Jeep guys taking photos with things other than a phone! Keep up the build!

Thanks man! Yea seriously before I really got into building the Jeep I would always look at other peoples builds and the guys who took photos with DSLRs or a nice camera even really made the posts better.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I am on the search for a used AEV fuel caddy for the Jeep. Not really wanting to shell out 350 bucks plus tax and shipping on a new one. Wanting it as an insurance of not running out of fuel.

Anyone in the DFW area or Austin Texas area that has one they want to sell, PM me!

akpostal

Adventurer
I know its not what you are looking for, but the Retrofit Offroad front fender mounts work great with Rotopax cans and doesnt add weight the the *** end off the Jeep, just an option. You wont get 10 gallons with a pair of 3.5g Rotopax, but thats half a tank on a JK. With the Retrofit Jerry can mounts you can run 2 5g cans and keep the weight off the *** end.

The Rotopax and mounts can be gotten for off Amazon Prime with free shipping. The 5g jerry can option might be cheaper, I havent looked.

This is over your budget but for me Ild rather keep the weight evened up overall.

Plus I already have a bunch of stuff on the *** and 5g of water, and with a full cooler on the rack I can feel it back there. I carry the spare tire/s inside.

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I know its not what you are looking for, but the Retrofit Offroad front fender mounts work great with Rotopax cans and doesnt add weight the the *** end off the Jeep, just an option. You wont get 10 gallons with a pair of 3.5g Rotopax, but thats half a tank on a JK. With the Retrofit Jerry can mounts you can run 2 5g cans and keep the weight off the *** end.

The Rotopax and mounts can be gotten for off Amazon Prime with free shipping. The 5g jerry can option might be cheaper, I havent looked.

This is over your budget but for me Ild rather keep the weight evened up overall.

Plus I already have a bunch of stuff on the *** and 5g of water, and with a full cooler on the rack I can feel it back there. I carry the spare tire/s inside.

Don't get me wrong I really life rotopax, I think they are a great solution to the traditional jerry can and I may get some in the future but the AEV fuel caddy is my first solution for fuel storage.

Currently in talks with a guy for a brand new one for $270. We'll see if it happens. :costumed-smiley-007

Captain Texas

Adventurer
First time wheeling in 2017

Got my AEV fuel caddy installed the other day. While I was there decided to re-assemle the turnbuckle assembly and make sure everything was in spec. I was having a bad squeak and after that it is pretty much gone. Small squeak is coming from the spindle assembly but I'm not going to even try to attempt to fix that, it's just not worth it. I love the caddy but it does make the rear-view mirror nothing more than a decoration and a place to hang parking passes. Thank god for the rear-view camera!
O4sRhj1.jpg

Yesterday was a good day, first time out on the trails since last year. And this was the first time as well to try out the my new BFG KO2 All-terrain tires off road. The Jeep did great. We had some limitations that I don't have sway bar disconnects, lockers, and really tall gears. I knew that 3.73 gears were sluggish but never knew how they bog the Jeep down on hill climbs even in 4Lo. Re-gear is definitely in the future as well as some beefing up of the Dana 30. Also I am wanting to pick up some JKS quick disconnects sometime soon.

Just took things easy and made sure not to break anything. Thankfully nothing is broken or bent, and that is a success in my book. I really should try to wheel more often, it's a great experience and a great way to experience nature.

Photos from the trip at Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls, Texas.

gXBA7kS.jpg

WxamOJS.jpg

cXFPe3Y.jpg

LRxVQOw.jpg

Msmpdt1.jpg

uw1K4Zi.jpg

e9MoX5I.jpg

GCxMmMh.jpg

7s64pUk.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads