Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

I'm curious what D-Ring/Shackles your using in the rear. i purchased a pair of red ones with the 7/8" pin and they flop around and lean one way or another. did you purchase a bigger/smaller size or did you use some sort of rubber isolater/spacer to make this fit snugly?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I'm curious what D-Ring/Shackles your using in the rear. i purchased a pair of red ones with the 7/8" pin and they flop around and lean one way or another. did you purchase a bigger/smaller size or did you use some sort of rubber isolater/spacer to make this fit snugly?

I believe I have a set of 3/4" D-shackles in red. I don't have rubber isolators but I have had to tow a disabled Range Rover before with them and they were great.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ordered up the AEV hi-lift mount and love it! I really did not like the hood mount and this is a great solution for that. My only gripe is that they only provided 1 of the 4 5/16th nuts needed for mounting the mount to the tire carrier. Quick trip to the hardware store solved that issue.

Really recommend the mount. Paired it with a big ol master lock pad lock to secure it from getting stolen.

Pro-grip brakes ordered and a Trailgater with bamboo cutting board ordered from Rebel offroad!

dYCTa4e.jpg

y0X7CBq.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Trailgater tailgate table came in today. Really nice build quality. No kidding, install was about 5 minutes. Should have gone with this from the start!

rdvslG0.jpg

eWeNPUK.jpg

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
Should have gone with this from the start!

I would have as well, but the shipping on the Trailgater was as much as or more then the Tailgater itself to AK.

I got the Frontrunner table and never installed it cause I couldnt get the dots to measure up without drilling first, this is my Jeep and not your Great Grandmas house. In the end Im glad I didnt install it, or get the Trailgater, those tables would be way to low to do all the cooking and prep for me even if I was sitting in a chair.

Glad it works for you and it looks great, I just need something higher to cook on if Im going to be standint and moving around..

Anvil Jeeps Unite!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I would have as well, but the shipping on the Trailgater was as much as or more then the Tailgater itself to AK.

I got the Frontrunner table and never installed it cause I couldnt get the dots to measure up without drilling first, this is my Jeep and not your Great Grandmas house. In the end Im glad I didnt install it, or get the Trailgater, those tables would be way to low to do all the cooking and prep for me even if I was sitting in a chair.

Glad it works for you and it looks great, I just need something higher to cook on if Im going to be standint and moving around..

Anvil Jeeps Unite!

Yea my philosophy is that if the shipping costs more than the actual product then its probably not worth getting. Good move on not installing the frontrunner table, I know there are some people with success but I swear they need to offer a template to drill. At least that would make me feel better about drilling into the tailgate.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Brakes!

After 2 weeks of waiting and wondering why I never got sent a tracking email or any notification that they were sent (Thank you Quadratec :) ), the Dynatrac pro-grip brakes are finally in! Super excited to get these things installed, as I plan to make a few trips to West Texas this summer and would love better brakes especially with having to deal with the hordes of semis out on those roads.

Packaging is great, and Jesus the rotors are huge! Had to measure the spacers I've got on right now to make sure that they are 1.5" so that the brakes will clear the stock Rubicon wheels.

Emailed the shop, hoping to have them on by the end of next week!

YNGPgKT.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So Jeep shop is not really responding to my emails too well and the fact they are 45 minutes from my house is making me look elsewhere.

Gave a call to a local general automotive shop to see about installing the brakes, they said no. Which is fine, they have done great work for me before and I understand doing an aftermarket brake upgrade really isn't there thing.

Just messaged a guy that belongs to the Austin Jeep People Facebook group to see if he can help me out on the install. Hoping to hear soon.

akpostal

Adventurer
Yea my philosophy is that if the shipping costs more than the actual product then its probably not worth getting. Good move on not installing the frontrunner table, I know there are some people with success but I swear they need to offer a template to drill. At least that would make me feel better about drilling into the tailgate.

I went with the M-PAC table in the end, easy install and can use it to stage stuff while cooking or drink prep. Im going to make a shelf I can store on my rear rack Action Packer and mount on either back or front of the rack to put my stove or cutting board for cooking.

ETA: The Trailgator would be awesome but cant justify the shipping, Ild still want a high shelf for cooking.

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Ordered up a brand motion backup camera. Should be here in a week. Just having to find a solution to move the 3rd brake light from the AEV 3rd brake light position to the AEV tire carrier mast.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Finally got my Dynatrac progrips installed today and wow what a difference. I drove about 20 miles to get back home and was really easy on the brakes because it was raining but man the pedal feel is incredible. They haven't even been properly been broken in and they stop way better than the stock brakes. It may be a lot of money but they are seriously worth it. Hell the pedal feel is better than in my dad Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

Tomorrow is going to be sunny and clear so that is when I will properly break in the brakes. Also getting my backup camera in tomorrow so hopefully that will get installed before the end of the week.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Updates

So I have gotten a few things done to the Jeep as of recent.

Went out to West Texas for a part time job and got to see what the Jeep is like on a 5 hour long drive. It wasn't all that bad actually. When heading up there I felt some under the seat vibrations and the next day went to get the tires re-balanced at the discount tire. They had it done in an hour and free of charge! Great guys. Coming back the problem was pretty much gone, I think I felt more driveline vibration/ vibrations from the BFGs than anything.

DSLR shot:
Crwt4Lg.jpg

Dynatrac pro-grip brakes went on this past Tuesday and wow they are worth every penny I swear. I had a guy thats a part of my local Jeep group do the install and charged me a great install rate. Completed the 200 mile break in instructed by Dynatrac and the heavy breaking performance is amazing. The pedal feel is amazing and is much more responsive. I would highly recommend this kit for those who really want some great breaking performance. I was worried that the Rubicon wheels and spacers would not work well with the brakes but I have not experienced any issues.

Next was the Brandmotion backup camera. The install was not exactly hard, just long and exhausting. It took me about 4 1/2 hours but that may be different for other people. Everything went great. The only thing I was a bit hesitant on was having to make the "T" splice at the cigarette lighter for the power and trigger wire. I used a butt splice to accomplish the splice as I don't have a soldering iron and just crimped it. Works well. The camera is clear, and really the only thing holding it back is the low resolution from the 430N headunit. The one I have does not have the backup lines which I am 50/50 on wishing I had and not really minding. Oh well, i'm glad I can see when backing up now. Considering a lock pick system so I can have the rear camera on all the time or at least on demand.
HwalJap.jpg

Last bit of business was the Frontrunner interior rack for the JKU. I saw the "Bruce" JKUR build and saw early on that he went with this. Love the look and functionality of it as now I can carry a lot more stuff in the back such as camera gear, other peoples gear, etc, etc. Unlike the Frontrunner dropdown tailgate table (Still mad about that), this was full bolt on and pretty easy to do, did it in about 1 1/2 hours. For some reason the instructions call for that on the base plates, you attach the mounts for the screws on different posts in regards to left and right. This doesn't make any sense and I had to unbolt the drivers base when I realized that they would not align properly. Other small things in the instructions such some of the procedures to line up the slats and other things seemed odd and I ended up doing them my way with more success. I also ordered some strachets and eye bolts from Frontrunner and they are high quality stuff. Added a little Anvil Jeep sticker that I got from Sackwear to top it off.
wATExNV.jpg

I think thats about it for now, hoping to make a road trip out to New Mexico or Colorado in July!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior