Astro AC/heat pump finally found.

arlon

Adventurer
Well after several weekends of hot sweaty nights this summer I decided to find a solution to the West Texas heat so I could sleep better. I'm no hard core guy and 90% of my nights are spent in a park with power and the parks usually make me use an RV slot rather I want to or not. A van is an RV as far as they are concerned. Paying for the power so I may as well use it.

I finally found a nice portable AC/heat pump that fits perfectly between the seats with room to breath. It's a little bulky but it is actually a perfect height for an arm rest and makes a nice little table top. It occupies the space where my trash can used to reside. No biggie, it's using underutilized space anyway. Had to order from home depot online as they did not carry it in the stores here. This is the SPT 9000 btu AC/Heat pump. Cost was about $300..

It has a 9000BTU rating and cools the van down fast, timer and remote are handy. Install took me about 15 minutes from box to being able to function at a park. I ran it on a 1000 watt surge protector so it should run on a small 1000 watt generator. I think this is the perfect solution if it will just handle the bumps and bounces on the road.

Vent and drain hoses were a snap to make work but it does take up the space of the passenger seat (hose collapses when traveling if needed). I did a short term install and will probably tweak a little after this weeks road trip.

I'll be using it for most of next week so I'll let you know how it goes after some real use.

large.jpg

large.jpg

The vent was super easy to run out the door. Added some scrap foam to seal the window and a little fly of plastic to keep any rain out.
large.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've seen these put in small trailers with the hose going out the floor through a hole right next to the unit. Still easy to remove when not needed - just plug the hole.

I'll be curious to hear how it lasts.

Navi

Adventurer
A fellow West Texas'n, I'm over in Odessa.
I bought a 13k btu portable ac this summer to supplement my aging central unit. It ran all summer and worked great.
I turned on the heat pump the other day and it seems to work.

arlon

Adventurer
Just back from a week of camping and the portable heat pump is my new best friend. I stayed at state parks so I had power. There were some benefits I hadn't considered! Noisy kids next door were drowned out by the humm of the ac. One night it got pretty cool and had a serious thunderstorm that had condensation streaming down the windows INSIDE the van. Since the heat pump uses the AC compressor I just ran it for a few minutes and it dried out the inside of the van in minutes.

The 9000 btu unit is simply more than a little Astro van needs but it does cool or heat it in minutes. You don't have to wait an hour to cool down. The fan runs all the time and has a humm to it. You can barely hear the compressor when it kicks in. I had no problem at all sleeping with the fan noise.

Night of the thunder storm it sure was nice to be sleeping in a climate controlled van.. Tent folks were all huddled in a bathroom for the night..

large.jpg

arlon

Adventurer
Added another summer of using the little portable AC unit and it's still working fine. Pretty good bang for the buck. Also used the heater portion a bit last winter and spring.

mburklu

Observer
Did you ever do anything different for the hoses, or just out the window like pictured before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94