Kimberly S3 Purchase

Tazman

Adventurer
Just a note of introduction, I have been lurking this site for quite sometime. I have learned a lot about much, and your discussions have helped me narrow my needs. We are new to the group but very experienced in the experience. I have camped around the west for decades. My current setup is a Cabelas Alaknac (sp) tent, cots, propane heat, Honda 1000 generator, tables, lights,in the back of a 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC truck, towing a capable CJ7, all the comfort of home. But.....I have to admit, the older I get, the less I want to rough it. I have found myself spending time less in the outdoors, year after year. For the past year and a half, we have shopped for options, and I mean all options. We discovered what we wanted and what we didn't.

Wanted. No FKN RV park
Offroad capable. Not crazy rock climbing or anything
Something cutting edge
Built to outlive me
FULL bath (per wife's direction) She would never come, if I didn't provide a decent bathroom including separate shower. PERIOD end of discussion, if you know what I mean.
Queen bed that didn't need to be converted back to a dining area.
A plan B rig if needed
Didn't want to spend 50-60 k for a new pickup
Under 23' so I could take it to most National Parks and places that I usually go (it's 21')
A price that didn't include my left testicle but did the left leg (long story)

After this long journey, we signed the order form and wired the money for a Kimberley S3 from Bruce in Australia. Sight unseen and built to order. We expect delivery in February. Initially building a trip around Overland Expo in Flagstaff to see rigs, it looks like we will be taking the Kimberly there. Bruce, the owner of Kimberley, wants me to proudly display it for others to see. This period of discovery has been long and intense, and it is great to come to conclusions.

http://www.kimberleykruiser.com/s3-single-axle-offroad-caravan-pricing

The only thing that even made this financially possible was the weak currency. Shipments to the US are at a substantial discount, besides the fact that NO US MANUFACTURER makes anything like this. The UBS conversion rate was .725 AUS and their forecast shows mid .60 in the next year. If you want to see it, stop by in Flagstaff.

David Sawyer / Tazman
Napa CA

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Congratulations. ..another remarkable Kimberly story....when will Bruce open the first US plant?

Can't wait to see the live action shots!

Romer

Adventurer
Those are sweet. If I hadn't set a rule about fitting in my garage, I would have looked harder at that instead of buying the Caravan. Kimberley makes really cool products.

winequickie

Hi David,
We are considering an E550, S3 or possibly the T3 and would love to see a Kimberley Kruiser here in the US. While it would be an amazing trip to Ballina, and confident that unseen, the Kimberley has the quality build we are looking for. Like you, we have shopped for options and are willing to fly anywhere in the US to visit with a Kimberley owner. Seeing that you are in Napa, and we in Southern California (Valencia), would it be possible to see your S3. Thank you in advanced for your time and considerations.

Chris and Helene Quick / WineQuickie
Valencia CA

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Chris, Check you PM. David has had login problems with this site, and quit using it.

DUTCH
Kimberley Karavan Owner

Tazman

Adventurer
Thanks for watching my 6 Dutch. Busy life and I rarely hit the Expedition Portal. Work and fun get in the way. Did three weeks in the Outback of Southern Utah this spring. Hooked up with a Kimberley from Boise Idaho. Great trip.

Attachments

• IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 72

slindn

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, but I've also been looking at Kimberley Kruisers for travel around the southwest US. I got in touch with Bruce recently and he told me that they have just signed an agreement with a guy to operate Kimberely Kampers USA out of a brand new facility in the Los Angeles area. Pretty exciting that they are giving it a shot, but I'm still a bit skeptical that they'll nail the build quality.

Tazman, if you are willing, I've got a bunch of questions about your experience with the S3.

Cheers,
Seth

Rumline

Observer
**** I hope not. But you're probably right. I've been eyeing one of these pretty hard but they're already budget-busters. If the price goes up 20% or if they make the USD price the same number as the AUD price then I'm likely out.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
KK has deducted 20% for North American buyers importing direct from AU KK because of the lack of a stateside KK dealer. That is the dealer margin. It seems like an inordinate gamble/business model based upon what surely would be low relative unit sales (given the price point; nothing to do with value) and paltry margin.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
**** I hope not. But you're probably right. I've been eyeing one of these pretty hard but they're already budget-busters. If the price goes up 20% or if they make the USD price the same number as the AUD price then I'm likely out.

Keep an eye out. I've been giving thought to selling my 2013 Kimberley Karavan, and the right offer could take it. All the factory glitches have been fixed and several upgrades have been done. It's better than when it left the factory and at a lower price.

Rumline

Observer
KK has deducted 20% for North American buyers importing direct from AU KK because of the lack of a stateside KK dealer. That is the dealer margin. It seems like an inordinate gamble/business model based upon what surely would be low relative unit sales (given the price point; nothing to do with value) and paltry margin.
The way Bruce explained it to me when I enquired back in August was 10% off is for the Australian taxes and 10% for the export discount. I imagine the 10% export discount is likely toast. But if they establish a North American presence maybe KK buyers would now have an avenue for manufacturer support. Might be worth 10% extra.

The big enabler, at least for me, was the AUD/USD exchange rate. By playing that wisely the prices approach affordability, at least for me. It all depends on how they set their USD pricing. 10% here or there won't matter if they cost the same in USD as they do in AUD. Not sure how many American buyers would go for a $100,000 21 foot travel trailer, offroad capable or not.

Best case scenario, they set pricing at an effective 0.75 exchange rate, get rid of the export discount, but reduce the shipping fee due to hopefully higher sales volume.

Rumline

Observer
Keep an eye out. I've been giving thought to selling my 2013 Kimberley Karavan, and the right offer could take it. All the factory glitches have been fixed and several upgrades have been done. It's better than when it left the factory and at a lower price.
Hey Dutch, that would be an awesome snag for anybody interested in a Karavan. I initially ruled out buying one because I don't want to deal with the lift system failing. But since yours is already fixed.....

My wife really wants a dry bath though so I might be stuck waiting for a Kruiser anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles