My homemade recovery traction pads

pyrate

Rollin' along
If you can't find a mat like the one at Tractor Supply, check for tractor trailer mudflaps. They aren't real long but they have the same overall benefit. I've trimmed the width down otherwise they tend to be too wide but can work.

One recommendation is to either cut a hole as a handle or put some sort of strap on it. If you get in real sloppy conditions and use one of those sometimes the recover of the mat is very difficult with out it. They get real slick and have a lot of suction for you to overcome.

And if all else fails: [video]http://sfglobe.com/2015/10/21/man-straps-used-wood-to-truck-tire-to-get-out-of-the-mud/?src=fbfan_46800&t=fbad&k=ip2a3g1t1[/video] :smiley_drive:

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
another option would be to use fiberglass grating.

you can order those at specific sizes thru a grating vendor/distributor.

I saw someone post this purchase over at tacomaworld. it was able to take the weight of the truck in a bridging scenario without breaking

rayra

Expedition Leader
OK!!!
....You can also tie a rope to the mats and the vehicle (without the Re-bar used) so when you get moving you can drag the mats with you. When you get to a solid location to stop, you do not need to go back and drag the mats back to your vehicle.

Now THAT is a fine idea.

To the OP, how do you store the matts, stud face to stud face, or rolled together and tied up? Would a sack be easier or more of a pain?

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
That's because Australia has nothing but sand and animals that are trying to kill you. Everything's venomous and likely poisonous, too. Koala's hiding in trees waiting to drop onto the unsuspecting and rip their jugulars out so they can feast on your blood. Fiats aren't even allowed in Australia because the spiders haul them off.

Don't post stuff like that! I spit my cocktail all over my keyboard.

Cobra1951

Have you gotten a chance to use them yet? The thing I always hear is people worried about ripping up their tire if the tread is too aggressive.

4wdCamper

So here is my contribution for those who are unwilling to drop the money on MaxTrax, or like me, just want to be a little bit different.

View attachment 312059

View attachment 312060

View attachment 312061

View attachment 312062

View attachment 312063

You saved some money on the mat but those metal screws are going to shred your tires, and I bet they're at least $200 a pop.
There's a reason Maxtrax and lookalike designs have plastic spkes that wear out. They wear out so your tires don't.

altaboy

Observer
Attached vid shows a comparison of some technologies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ8U2C-2jU4

The take away: Home made traction mats made from deconstructed plastic milk crates worked almost-kinda-sorta as well as the vendor products.

Basically, buy a couple of plastic milk crates (note: criminal offense to "borrow" these from the back of your local grocery), cut each side away, tie 'em together with beefy zip ties, and go at it.

Since I am a CSOB.....works for me!

roving1

Ever wonder why MaxTrax always gets mentioned in traction mat threads? Because they are not only the best product but the guys representing and selling them are some of the best guys to talk to at places like the overland expo. Everybody aims for the top and the top in the traction mat buisness is clearly established by MaxTrax.
Homemade ones are fine and yours are the best I've seen. Nice job! You can stack rocks or logs in a pinch. Use a floor mat or even run over your hi-lift. Not as good as MaxTrax but building a road is part of recovery.

Ever wonder why no one can question or offer any alternative to maxtrax without someone mindlessly chiming in that they are the one true solution and nothing or no lesser amount of money spent could possiblely ever be worth doing or pursuing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles