The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon versus the Land Rover Defender

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
As a Rover owner I'm supposed to say the Jeep doesn't stand a chance. But I can't say that.

In terms of absolute technical ability, I think the Rubicon would have to be declared the winner. Dual lockers, disconnecting swaybars, etc. But in terms of an overland style vehicle the Defender comes to the fore. Diesel engine, far more payload, more cargo volume, etc.

I'm curious how they compare price-wise in markets where both are currently available. Of course with the Defender going away this year the whole question will change as the new Defender rolls out.....hopefully in the NA market too.

The Defender have better approach and departure angle and have better ground clearance than a Rubicon. The ground clearance under the diffs are similar between the Defender and the Rubicon a accorrding to the specs and they have similar hight of tires at 32".

The Defender have more cargo volume, much due that it is higher and slightly longer and what I think it has less space in the front seat and in the backseat compared to the Rubicon unlimited.

According to the pictures here, the Wrangler unlimited have more space in the front seats and rear seats compared to the Defender, that gives less cargo space.

JeepWranglerUnlimited_1.jpg

LandRoverDefender110_1.jpg

In many markets the Defender is offen just slightly more expensive than the Wrangler, but it is difficult to compare because You have so many different trims and model, and that also differ from country to country.

One thing that make the Defender offen more expensive is that it is mostly handmade as I understand it.

Here in Sweden the Defender cost much more than a Wrangler

This Land Rover Defender 110 SW cost 488.000 swedish kr, thats about 53 000 dollars. It has seven seats, tow bar, leather seats, glass roof, blue tooth. 122 HK diesel engine, manuell box. From here http://bytbil.com/bilar/land-rover/defender/jv6tvgvg/A2ABUDIAAY0pekgAYAA_!

This Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2,8 CRD Rubicon cost 399.000 swedish kronor, thats about 43 800 dollars. This is with a extra packet the ucconect 735n system, navigator, blue tooth, dvd, dark windows. From here http://bytbil.com/bilar/jeep/wrangler-unlimited/zvdsxavg/A2ABUDIAAYvzd0oAMAA_!

If You go with the Pentastar engine instead of the diesel it would be about 4400 dollar less. The base Rubicon unlimited pentastar we have here cost 351.900kr, thats about 38 700 dollars, but our base Rubicon have more stuff than a base american Rubicon.

I dont think many Defenders are sold here in Sweden, they are only 2 for sale in Sweden
See here http://bytbil.com/bilar/sokresultat/A2ABUDIAAY0pekgAYAA_!?Brand=Land+Rover&Model=Defender

About 40 Wrangler unlimited are for sale in Sweden

http://bytbil.com/bilar/sokresultat/A2ABUDIAAYvzd0oAMAA_!

About 6 2 door Wranglers here http://bytbil.com/bilar/sokresultat/A2ABUDIAAYvy84AAwAA_!?Brand=Jeep&Model=Wrangler

Interior comparisson

158510456.jpg

My Rubicon to the left, a old landrover 109 to the right

158680922.jpg

LAND ROVER 88, model year 1970 to the left

158574619.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Those pictures are fudged a bit. Like, they measure the total length of the defender from bumper to bumper, but measure the jeep from bumper to the spare tire. Whoever did those, have an agenda one way or the other, not sure which though. and there are no ground clearance approach or departure measurements either.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Those pictures are fudged a bit. Like, they measure the total length of the defender from bumper to bumper, but measure the jeep from bumper to the spare tire. Whoever did those, have an agenda one way or the other, not sure which though. and there are no ground clearance approach or departure measurements either.

You are correct and I have written to them awhile ago to correct many faults, so it is difficult to trust them so take everything with an pinch of salt? :)

They are from Russia, and all not american Wranglers have the euro bumper that gives less god angles compared to american Wranglers, I mean export wranglers outside America. Also export Rubicon wranglers comes offen with smaller road tires 245/75/17 compared to american 255/75/17 offroad tires and the export Rubicions have black shocks, probably the same that Sahara has, so we dont get the red rubicon shocks that are in US.

Here are more pictures from http://www.off-road-drive.ru/ratings/63

JeepWranglerUnlimited_3.jpg

This is not correct, not 905mm, its about 1850mm when the rear seat folded

JeepWranglerUnlimited_4.jpg

Defender here http://www.off-road-drive.ru/ratings/61

LandRoverDefender110_3.jpg

LandRoverDefender110_4.jpg

All vehicles here http://www.off-road-drive.ru/ratings/Offroad

You can translate it with google

You see here that Defender comes at first place and the Wrangler comes at 15 and 18 place

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
As the Defender have 90cm width at the floor in the rear, its probably to small for two people sleeping there. The Wrangler have about 110 cm width so You can sleep more easely two people there.

My madrass (one of them) Intex 54"x75"8,75" airbed in my Rubicon unlimited. Thats 191cm long, width 1.37cm madrass and 22cm heigh.

155162087.jpg

Zeep

Adventurer
I think the departure angles are affected by the fact that, the Jeeps bumpers, are designed with NA safety standards. Since the Defender is not available in NA. It's bumpers reflect that!
I'm also curious how they compare in total weight as shipped. The frame of the Defender looks to be much more robust. Jeep doesn't offer the diesel here in NA. Is the frame the same as
the V6 model?

kojackJKU

If the rubi over your way does not come with red shocks, It may not have the higher springs either. Hmmm. interesting. Maybe the springs are only 53 - 55 in the rear, and 14-16 up front.

I know mine came with 18/59 and it was quite a bit higher than most sports and saharas here. Then with the teraflex 2" lift, that made a HUGE difference.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I think the departure angles are affected by the fact that, the Jeeps bumpers, are designed with NA safety standards. Since the Defender is not available in NA. It's bumpers reflect that!
I'm also curious how they compare in total weight as shipped. The frame of the Defender looks to be much more robust. Jeep doesn't offer the diesel here in NA. Is the frame the same as
the V6 model?

With NA, You mean North America I think.

Yes I think so to, that american rules would not allow the bumper a Defender has

The European rules are more stringent than North american, so the rear and front bumper had to change for the export vehicles. So export wranglers have even worse angles than the american wranglers.

The North American bumper have towhooks, not so good for pedastrians, the foglights have to be more at the side in Europe. The openening between the fender and the bumper can throw rocks forward

American front bumper

IMG_6077.jpg

Export Wrangler and this is my former Sahara. No tow hooks, foglights at the sides, no opening between fender and bumper. Much longer and that gives less good approch angle

142988339.nLGcFBYi.jpg

American rear bumper. I am happy that we dont get that crappy silver ugly stuff on the export wranglers :elkgrin: It lacks rear brake lights

2011-jeep-wrangler-rear-driver-three-quarters-view.jpg

My former Sahara rear bumper have brakes lights on them. Have the plate holder below the bumper that affects the departure angle to the worse. I think the European rules say that the plate should be seen from booth right and left direction. On the american wrangler you can not see the plate if you are to the right of the vehicle because the rear spare wheel will stop this, it will hide the number on the plate.

Also I think the american rubicon tires makes to much sound for the European rules, that why we have more street tires on our Rubicons.

143046305.jpg

The frame is more robust on the Defender than a Wrangler. The Defender wheel bolts are very heavy duty compared to a Wrangler

$_57.JPG

The frame is the same on the diesel and the pentastar here. The diesel have less payload here and that is probably because the diesel engine is much heavier than the petrol engine, pentastar.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice flat belly on the Defender too.
Jeep could take a good lesson here.

Great comparison info Omar! :beer:

One thing the Wrangler has over the Defender is the ability to drop the top, and really enjoy the great outdoors. In that regard, the Wrangler doesn't have a real competitor.
It's also the single biggest reason I chose the Jeep.
That feeling of openness is a great connection to the environment, when exploring.

kojackJKU

I chose the Jeep over the defender because you can't buy them here, there is zero dealer network near me, and its about 1/2 the cost of any other landy. Plus....its a JEEP. that's enough to buy one! ha ha

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Defender ownership in North America is fetish-driven.
So very true! A series LR or Defender are great for being themselves....a utility vehicle. It's when people try to turn them into something else is when they fall down. They aren't rock crawlers, they aren't daily drivers for U.S. or modern highways and most of all, they aren't of modern design. Usually the reality of living with one is far different than the dream of owning one. Understand what it is and isn't and you'll be satisfied.
I'd love a new rubicon but can't understand why they are constantly compared to a D110. They really don't have the same mission in life.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I'd love a new rubicon but can't understand why they are constantly compared to a D110. They really don't have the same mission in life.

Here they show that Landrovers and Jeeps can have the same mission, having fun in the nature :smiley_drive:

I can only speak for my self, I dont rock crawl, just wanted a capable 4x4 thats look like it belongs in the nature like a Safari vehicle. I really like the retro macho look, not the fancy chrome 4x4 city vehicles without rear spare wheel. I wanted a cool vehicle for camping and that have a lot of accesories and that have great 4x4. My main intrest is nature photography http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom and camping out in the nature.

For me there are only 2 vehicles in the world (except maybe Gelandewagen?? to expensive) that have the look I want. For me booth Defender or a Wrangler would fit me needs and it was very close between them witch one I should choose. And today I sometimes think I should bought the Defender instead, its so cool. They have booth cool retro look and are similar in price.

Before my 2 door Wrangler and my current 4 door Wrangler Rubicon I had a Suzuki Jimny for 12 years. I wanted a newer vehicle and they did not import Suzuki Jimny anymore, so I needed a new 4x4 for my nature photography and camping trips and as my daily driver .

My old Suzuki Jimny

133773154.jpg

130771441.jpg

Test driving my buddys TJ Jeep Wrangler before I bought a Jeep

131226857.jpg

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer

Here they show that Landrovers and Jeeps can have the same mission, having fun in the nature :smiley_drive:

I can only speak for my self, I dont rock crawl, just wanted a capable 4x4 thats look like it belongs in the nature like a Safari vehicle. I really like the retro macho look, not the fancy chrome 4x4 city vehicles without rear spare wheel. I wanted a cool vehicle for camping and that have a lot of accesories and that have great 4x4. My main intrest is nature photography http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom and camping out in the nature.

For me there are only 2 vehicles in the world (except maybe Gelandewagen?? to expensive) that have the look I want. For me booth Defender or a Wrangler would fit me needs and it was very close between them witch one I should choose. And today I sometimes think I should bought the Defender instead, its so cool. They have booth cool retro look and are similar in price.

Before my 2 door Wrangler and my current 4 door Wrangler Rubicon I had a Suzuki Jimny for 12 years. I wanted a newer vehicle and they did not import Suzuki Jimny anymore, so I needed a new 4x4 for my nature photography and camping trips and as my daily driver .

My old Suzuki Jimny

133773154.jpg

133975408.jpg

130771441.jpg

Test driving my buddys TJ Jeep Wrangler before I bought a Jeep

131226857.jpg

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
In UK the offen compare the Defender against the Suzuki Jimny. They dont have so many Jeep Wranglers there, but the sales are rising.

They Jimny is built like a Defender and wranglers, have a frame, low gearbox, stiff axles etc. Its like a baby wrangler or defender for half the price.

Last edited:

whitenoise

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online