Ammo can idea thread

PCO6

Adventurer
First aid kit. Just looking for a red cross sticker for it (before I decide to paint one on).
picture.php

The other side will have an operational "wine in a box" bladder in it. (lol)

I also have one with Coleman lantern it.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
That is a pretty unique idea Doc, but if it were me I'd have straps or something mechanical holding them down while inside. It wouldn't take much of a fender bender I don't think for you and your passenger to get those right in the back of the head, magnets be danged.

Other than that, that's an idea worthy of theft. :)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thank you for the concern. The magnets are super strong and require me to yank with a hell of a lot of force to release them, they have never so much as shifted in all my wheeling and driving over the past few years. also, directly in front of them is a wing nut that holds the cargo cover in place, so while not strapped in or bolted down, there is a mechanical barrier that prevents them from sliding forward. the impact would literally have to up end them and disconnect both magnets in order to get them airborne.

Again, I appreciate the concern but at this juncture I'm not worried about it :sombrero:

Though i suppose it would be really easy to put a little lock hasp on the cargo cover and on the can.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
18ah battery, solar controller/ charger and 6 fuse fuse box. Solar generator set up for my Life Time tent trailer. Led lighting and charging hub etc.
20150520_193643.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another idea I'm working on, this one is for the JK - an jerry can/ammo can carrier that mounts to the tailgate hinges:

HingeMountAmmo1_zpsl2ieyihc.jpg

HingeMountJerry13_zps5cazjypd.jpg

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
This is a great thread with lots of interesting ideas so far! The speaker box is especially impressive. Looking forward to seeing more.
I once worked in a field where we had a surplus of ammo cans in all sizes, so getting creative and re-purposing them was always a fun thing to do when we had a little down time. I remember two projects that went pretty well.
One project was a cooler built from a 20mm can. I took a standard USGI Ensolite sleeping pad and cut it to fit the sides, bottom, and lid. Silicone caulk held it in place and a 3/4" garden hose bib was installed in one end to serve as a drain. In the days before expensive hi-tech coolers, it worked fairly well and blended in with our other gear as to not draw much attention to the treasures held inside.
Another project took a bit more time and effort, but a 20mm can makes a dandy woodstove if you have a welder and a few pieces of hardware lying around. A small door was cut out of one end and hinged. A 4"(if I remember correctly) flue was cut out of the lid. We had plans to attach legs using a threaded pipe flange welded to each corner with a pipe nipple serving as the leg. Never got to it though. One snag we ran into was getting a tight seal on the door and chimney flange since we had no fiberglass seal available. As long as it was burning hot, it would draft fine and smoke was not too much of an issue.
Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of either as this was in the days before digital cameras and cell phones.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Like this....(not mine)
9959825_orig.jpg

Additional thought on using these cans: I have one that I store recovery gear in. Closed it in Utah. Couple of weeks later, I'm at the beach in NC and can't get the thing open because the thing is now vacuum-sealed. Used a fellow travelers crow bar to open it after giving up on trying to pull it open.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Very similar to that one! I like the damper beneath the door and those legs look like a much better solution than the one we thought of.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
This is a great thread with lots of interesting ideas so far! The speaker box is especially impressive. Looking

thanks.

I know its not very overlandy or even camping/wheeling related, but it was just the ticket for me because of my cargo cover. I couldnt put the speakers in the stock location used in the later wags/cherokees (lower on the rear quarter panels) because it would have been underneath my cargo cover.

I really ought to build some drawers for under the cover one of these days.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week, here's an ammo can idea I saw today. Interesting idea, but perhaps not so great execution, the grid the can is attached to is attached to the Jeep with zip ties, and there's a lot of movement. The can is empty, I'm not sure how it would hold up with some heavy gear in it. But nice idea.

Also on top of the rack there are two military surplus medical cases. Nice.

AmmoCan1_zpsbydlffkz.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
I'm at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week, here's an ammo can idea I saw today. Interesting idea, but perhaps not so great execution, the grid the can is attached to is attached to the Jeep with zip ties, and there's a lot of movement. The can is empty, I'm not sure how it would hold up with some heavy gear in it. But nice idea.

Also on top of the rack there are two military surplus medical cases. Nice.

AmmoCan1_zpsbydlffkz.jpg
The cases with the drawers where the lids are tables? I'd love a set of those

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles