Ammo can idea thread

TreyJK

Cool thread!
Jscherb, thanks for posting all the dimensions.

My J10 project needs a center console, so I took a Fat 50 and added some tooled leather to the top...... need to install it now.

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
f53bb281f89f64347272a8492d7c1eb2.jpg

Found this guy yesterday. Hadn't seen one like it before. It appears to be a 20mm can. Should fit nicely under my rear seat in the XJ when folded down.

gildo

IMG_3944.jpg
I have a couple of handy tools /uses for ammo cans, these mounts would be great for securing them in any of my vehicles.
1- 18ah gelcell with an LED work light bolted to the lid also has cig lighter outlet and twin USB ports. - the garden flood has been replaced with a work light and a charge port added since this picture.
2 - 50 cal, ARB compressor with cable, hose, inflator with gauge and a set of Staun deflator.
3 - 50 cal Bluetooth/USB/FM boom box.
4 - 50 cal Speaker boxes for the CJ- 6x9" speakers with plugs for inside or outside the jeep- Sub is a 12" in a jerry can.

I also use them for electronics tools, hand tools, smaller power tools, pneumatic tools so that they are all uniform dimensions.
Next project on the list is building a variable power supply and a soldering station into a 50cal can......

Last edited:

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
The last can I acquired (see above) I am keeping a set of coveralls, large ratchet strap, small ratchet strap, and more little stuff.

I am keeping another .50cal in my daily with a strap, shackle, bungees, and spare sweatshirt. Just a little box to keep the loose crap packaged tightly.

gildo

And this.
Since this pic I've secured the speaker grilles and added bumper rails to the switch face.
USB, TF card, Aux, FM Radio and Blotooth.
Remote control and charger store inside.

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpg
    IMG_7111.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 54

RichJacot

Observer
And this.
Since this pic I've secured the speaker grilles and added bumper rails to the switch face.
USB, TF card, Aux, FM Radio and Blotooth.
Remote control and charger store inside.

Very Nice!

Where did you get the tuner with bluetooth?

gildo

I bought bits from Bangood, of course I can't find the exact parts now but this Bluetooth module has the same functionality.

https://www.banggood.com/7-12V-Hand...M-p-984600.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts

The amp board is also from Banggood, its just a 20w 2 channel board, any size that is 12v and fits in the can will do.
Found the 4" car audio speakers in the shed and some black computer fan grilles from a shop I visited on my last trip to Hong Kong.

To be clear, it's not a totally original idea, just my attempt at a H/D sound box I thought I'd share.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back in March XJSuperman posted about a new ammo can he found that I had never seen before and I've been looking for one ever since. It's an M139 20mm can, they're not very common so they're pretty hard to find. It's a perfect size to sit in the rear footwell of a TJ or an LJ. I just picked one up.

M139-1_zpspmajez0j.jpg

M139-2_zpstqbdbfxn.jpg

Usually I don't have people in the back seat on offroad expeditions so I'll use this for repair parts or recovery gear - I can keep it packed all the time and put it in the Jeep when I leave on a trip.

M139-3_zpsm54cqyj5.jpg

BTW this might not fit under the seat of some TJs/LJs, the height of the seat is different for different years. Since mine is a "low seat year" (2004-2006), I raised the seat 1" with spacers soon after I got it.

Last edited:

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Back in March XJSuperman posted about a new ammo can he found that I had never seen before and I've been looking for one ever since. It's an M139 20mm can, they're not very common so they're pretty hard to find. It's a perfect size to sit in the rear footwell of a TJ or an LJ. I just picked one up.

M139-1_zpspmajez0j.jpg

M139-2_zpstqbdbfxn.jpg

Usually I don't have people in the back seat on offroad expeditions so I'll use this for repair parts or recovery gear - I can keep it packed all the time and put it in the Jeep when I leave on a trip.

M139-3_zpsm54cqyj5.jpg

BTW this might not fit under the seat of some TJs/LJs, the height of the seat is different for different years. Since mine is a "low seat year" (2004-2006), I raised the seat 1" with spacers soon after I got it.
That's exactly what I use mine for. Footwell of my xj. Fits great under the rear seat when it's folded flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles