--- leaving the Point

video from the edge of the Canyon

[video]https://youtu.be/7om6V6ZB5KI[/video]

To be continued...

Last edited:

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Very nice Joel.

I saw your Havasupi video several days ago, can't remember where you posted it, but very enjoyable. So much so, I showed it to a coworker, commenting on what a fun trip it must have been. Excellent pictures, what camera/lens combo do you like to use?

My boys are my travel companions also, 8 and 11 years respectively. Sure is nice to spend time with them when they're young, good work.

We had an 06 Xterra OR, never should have sold it. Great rig. Keep the pics coming, love them.

image.jpg

joelwho

Adventurer
Very nice Joel.

I saw your Havasupi video several days ago, can't remember where you posted it, but very enjoyable. So much so, I showed it to a coworker, commenting on what a fun trip it must have been. Excellent pictures, what camera/lens combo do you like to use?

My boys are my travel companions also, 8 and 11 years respectively. Sure is nice to spend time with them when they're young, good work.

We had an 06 Xterra OR, never should have sold it. Great rig. Keep the pics coming, love them.

View attachment 313831

thank you. yes I posted it in the Adventure and Event Reports section. i'm glad you enjoyed it.

I use Nikon gear. I have a basic D5000 body and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 prime lens. i'm working towards the trifecta of 14mm-24mm f/2.8, 24mm-70mm f/2.8 and the 70mm-200mm f/2.8. I would also like to upgrade to the D800 body.

my boys are the best trail buddies. I love watching them experience new adventures

the xterra is a great platform. it may not be a Rubicon or a Land Cruiser, but it's very capable and you can't beat the price

joelwho

Adventurer
Cinder Hills OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) area

Lunch under the ponderosa pines (it was chilly. the boys decided the sun was warner than the shade

short video of Scout wheeling at Cinder Hills OHV

[video]https://youtu.be/91CqSNx5v9E[/video]

To be continued...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nikon D5000 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 prime lens. I want to move to an FX body and telephoto lenses. Soon would be nice :)

I thought that looked like a Nikon. :) I'd highly recommend either the D610 (That's what I have) or a D750. Both are fantastic cameras and great to use. Coupled with that 50mm would be insanely sharp. Plus the low light capability of the FX cameras just can't be beat. I can get usable shots all the way up to 6400 ISO.

justbecause

perpetually lost
607_zpsmgi2lcrb.jpg

What are the details on your GPS system?

joelwho

Adventurer
I thought that looked like a Nikon. :) I'd highly recommend either the D610 (That's what I have) or a D750. Both are fantastic cameras and great to use. Coupled with that 50mm would be insanely sharp. Plus the low light capability of the FX cameras just can't be beat. I can get usable shots all the way up to 6400 ISO.

the 610 looks like a really great camera... and at a great price. but I really want a system that offers Auto FP high speed sync for daylight portraits. I know that comes at a premium price, though, like in the 800 series. the D7200 has the capability, but it's DX. i'm sure i'll have to compromise at some point when i'm actually ready to buy. thanks for the input, for sure. i'll take it into consideration.

joelwho

Adventurer
607_zpsmgi2lcrb.jpg

What are the details on your GPS system?

it's the Backcountry Navigator app (I run it on my Nexus 6). I upgraded to the Pro edition. it's very in-depth and takes awhile to become proficient (which i'm still working towards), but I really like it. it allows you to download dozens of map templates (US Forest Service, CalTopo US, USTopo, USGSTopo...), then you can plot tracks and save waypoints, and then switch between the different map types. I highly recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles