Frame Steel Tube Inner Rust

bucketfan

Hey guys,

I've just finished my first trailer build, had a great week out and noticed something a bit concerning.. The main tube is 2" steel tubing. It's all been coated in generic "rust paint" and the external faces seem to be doing OK. I think I have to do a couple touch ups, but nothing major.

However, when I was driving away from a rainy week of camping, I noticed some rust colored water coming out of the inside of the tubes.. So, not sure if the water is coming in because of a couple small holes, condensation, the driving rain on the highway (I love BC Haha).. but there is clearly some rust *inside* the 2" steel tube..

Now, looks like a step might have been missed or perhaps some better prevention before taking it out, , can you kindly give me some guidance ? Love the trailer way more than I thought possible, and am now worried it may not last. I've heard lots of different product names but you guys seem to know the most... from this not ideal point of having rust inside my trailer frame tube, what is my best chance to stop and stabilize the problem?

Thanks!!

bucketfan

Very interesting, I guess by adding some drain holes every couple feet, coupled with the applicator hose I could kill 2 birds... 1 to apply that and then to add drainage. And maybe try to get some rust Converter up in there for a day or two first hand ?

Now, to wait for a warm day... so in about 3 months in the great white north here. THanks!

mobob

Spray Amsoil MPHD liberally in the tubes once a year and you will minimize the issues long term. The Bassboat crowd has been doing this for years and it works well.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hot dip Galvanizing would be the best solution, it's a little more complicated as the frame has already been made and has started rusting. You also have to build in expansion holes and fill holes in the chassis to allow the expanding gases to escape and the molten zinc to drain.

Beyond that, as mentioned, drain holes and MPHD are good. You may also want to look into a sacrificial anode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94