Looking for some help in choosing a vehicle. SX4, Sidekick, Vitara, or CRV?

autumn

Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase my first all wheel drive vehicle and I've narrowed it down to the SX4, Sidekick 4 door, 1999-2003 Vitara, or a first gen CRV. My intentions are to have a reliable vehicle that is good to take snowboarding, camping, fishing and to haul mountain bikes. I would like something that is good for daily driver use and is decently comfortable. I'm currently driving a very modified 2001 Jetta with Koni coilovers and upgraded sway bars. It's a very sporty ride and you feel every bump in the road. I figure these vehicle choices would be at least as comfortable or more so? My budget is no more than $5000.

I'm really drawn to the 4 door sidekick. I like that it has an actual frame under it and has good off road capability and size wise it seems just about right for me. I like the Vitara for the same reasons but prefer the boxy look of the Sidekick. I also like the the looks of the CRV and it's size.

The SX4 seems like a good all around choice though? Not too big and with a rack and a hitch I should be able to haul what I want and it seems like it would be the peppiest of the four? I would assume it is the most comfortable as well?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Anne

digitaldelay

Explorer
I think you are on the right track with a first gen Grand Vitara or an SX4. The latter will be at the upper end of your budget but will also be newer. Coming from your Jetta, are you willing to give up any semblance of sporty handling? If not, stick with the SX4 or up the budget and spring for a Kizashi :)

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dake21

Adventurer
Did you test drive them all? That's worth a lot more than internet advice. Don't forget the XL7.

1st gen grand vitara is not awd, neither is the sidekick but the second gen is (2006+)however it's over your budget.

If fuel economy is a concern the SX4 should be the best but the others should make in the lower 20s in MPG. There's a SX4 build on the forum and it looks quite capable.
As for the peppiest I know the V6 1st Gen GV is pretty good, the Sidekick is a tractor and the crv a taller civic. I don't know about the SX4.
The CRV has a lot of room and the sidekick is good as well but the first gen grand vitara is a little bit more cramped inside. If you want any kind of cargo room consider a XL7 which is basically a stretched out GV.
Suzuki last a long time if you make regular oil changes.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
There are all very different vehicles. I'd also suggest driving them all first. I have owned a 2009 and 2010 SX4. Neat little cars. We regularly got 23-25 mpg with them. The 2010+ has the newer engine and transmissions. It had a center diff lock, which is nice.

Of course, the Sidekick and Vitara will have low range, which is great if you use it. Plus, easy to lift these and get bigger tires under. Certainly the best choice if you do more than moderate dirt roads. I have a '95 Sidekick with 166,500 on the odometer. I love it. However, with 95 hp, it isn't exactly a powerhouse. However, we did 3,000 miles in ours this summer. Just don't expect to do 75 mph if you're lifted. The '99+ models are better due to the incresed power from the 2.0-liter four banger or 2.5 V6, although I hear of hydraulic tensioner issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mdmead

Adventurer
I have an SX4 and enjoy it very much. Mine is an '09 with a 5 speed manual and I picked it up in 2014 with less than 20K miles on it. Mileage hovers around 26-28 mpg, better in town than on the highway at 75. Doesn't have the greatest suspension travel and with low clearance and no low range, isn't exactly an off-roader. That being said, due to its small size and the AWD, it will surprise you where it can go. Probably the biggest issue is one of interior space... not hard to figure out when you look at how short it is. Of course you can put racks on the top and hang bikes off off the back. Heck, I tow a 4x8 utility trailer with my KLR 650 in it at times! I had a very specific need when I bought mine; I wanted small, light, economical, AWD and flat-towable; this and a manual trans Subaru were the only choices. If you can live with mileage closer to 20 mpg, I'd move the Sidekick and Vitara to the top of the list just to gain better off-road capability.

(Note, you can lift the SX4 2" and add larger tires. Looks much cooler and is more off-roadable, but you'll take a hit in mileage. There is also some discussion on the quality of the lift with a handful reporting broken front struts after the fact. [A few are working on modified lifts to eliminate the weak spot, but the jury is still out on their success.])

94toy22re

Observer
Why not a mid 2000's Ford Explorer, it's in your price range way more power and comfort then a sidekick and with low range it's just as capable in stock form!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I'm glad someone mentioned the RAV4. If I were currently looking to buy, I'd get a 2nd-generation RAV4. It's the last generation of the more capable full-time 4wd system and manual transmission availability and the first generation with vvti engines with timing chains, for more power, better fuel economy and lower maintenance needs. The 2003-2005 has the more powerful 2.4L engine. I think it would provide an easier and more pleasant ownership experience than anything in your list.

autumn

Thank you all for the replies. I've found a pretty nice looking 2007 SX4 a few hours away that I am going to check out. The Sidekick's are scarce near me. :(

May I also encourage you to look at the 2003-2010 Kia Sorento. These have been under the radar for years and they are very well built vehicles. The biggest downside to the Sorento is aftermarket support or the lack there of it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I would put the Matrix awd in the same bracket as the SX4 also. Chain timing belt, very simple durable machine. Not sexy but a good value probably a step up in crash standards over some of the other suggestions. My brother has the 2wd Matrix, 280,000 miles on it, even towed a uhaul trailer on a few moves, its been bullet proof. He jokes his son will probably be driving it, his son is 1 month old.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I would put the Matrix awd in the same bracket as the SX4 also. Chain timing belt, very simple durable machine. Not sexy but a good value probably a step up in crash standards over some of the other suggestions. My brother has the 2wd Matrix, 280,000 miles on it, even towed a uhaul trailer on a few moves, its been bullet proof. He jokes his son will probably be driving it, his son is 1 month old.
The matrix is a great little vehicle but the manuals had a very weak clutch in both the long-term durability and short term (ie. slow technical terrain where you're slipping the clutch a lot will no doubt end in lots of smoke). Maybe an auto would be a better choice if you're planning to haul lots of stuff. I'm not even sure if the 5 speed stick was available with AWD.

I love my SX4, and with the rock bottom prices right since Suzuki left, you can't go wrong with one. You'll be hard pressed to find a low miles one with AWD for under $5k though. Think along the lines of 8-10k for a decent one depending where you live. It's a good car if you want some off road ability but still want excellent road manners. It really is a great handling little car for how good it is off the pavement.

The older GV's were great. There's probably a couple parts on it that I stamped myself even :) Stick to the 2.5L V6 if you actually want to pass someone on the highway. If you want to up your budget a bit a get a vehicle that's a lot more off road friendly I'd look into the newest gen GV from 2006-2013. Stick to either the 2.7L V6 or the 2.4L I4, the 3.2L is a GM sourced engine and is known to be unreliable. Just keep the timing chains serviced on the 2.7 and 2.4 and they'll run forever. We just picked a '08 2.7L V6 in Ontario for $9k with low miles and fantastic shape, so I'm sure you can find one for even cheaper in the states. Might be worth a look as well.

Dake21

Adventurer
Ok, so with a SX4 you will have a competent vehicle that will have similar handling and sportiness (well compared to a SUV at least) than your jetta.
If you want better offroad capability and a small 4x4 either the GV or sidekick will do. They both do 20,21 or 22 MPG. The 1st gen GV will be faster and more nimble but it's also smaller than the sidekick unless you opt for a XL7.

fike

Adventurer
A 1st or early second gen Forester would have a lot of aftermarket support with an excellent reliability record and good AWD performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier