Looking for some help in choosing a vehicle. SX4, Sidekick, Vitara, or CRV?

Rot Box

Explorer
I don't have any experience with the other cars but I can chime in on the CR-V. My wife and I have put over 80k miles on our first gen (98) CR-V. It has been VERY reliable during that time and has asked for very little aside from routine maintenance. I get high twenties for fuel mileage (32mpg is my best) but I drive it like an egg truck. The AWD isn't designed for aggressive off-roading but it works very well on snow and ice covered roads.

If you do get a first gen CR-V take the time to check the valve lash soon after purchase. If you keep them adjusted within spec the engine will last forever--if not valves can burn and result in expensive repairs. They're fairly easy to check/adjust if you're mechanically inclined.

EDIT: If I had to complain about it: I'd say road noise is a little high, the stock speakers are poor, seats aren't the most comfortable and while it does cruise down the freeway and over the mountain passes just fine i would like a little more power output.

We just rolled over 200k miles. As much as we have loved this car I think we'll give a 05-09 Subaru Outback a try when the time comes.

Seats flatten out for super awesome stealth sleep mode :coffeedrink: There's even a built in (and removable) camping table! haha

photo-12_zps9be9f0ad.jpg

photo-7_zpsc3a6d862.jpg

Last edited:

lilkia

Little late to reply but as mentioned above look at the first gen Sportages. Awesome little 4wd. Real ladder frame vehicle. True 4wd with high and low range transfercase. Lockers available. It comes with auto hubs which are pretty good but you can also get warn manual hubs for better reliability. 3 link rear suspension. Easy to lift. 2" strut spacers for the front are available or easy to make yourself if you can weld and swap in jeep cherokee coils in the rear. Gives an honest 4" lift which easily fits 31" tires 33" with some fender trimming. Easy to work on and its a non I terfence motor for those timing belt oopsies.

Ravver

First gen RAV4 are capable vehicles. Personally i prefer the safety of permanent 4 wheels drive; plus you have incredible reliability (i've read all on rav 4.1, very few complaints..), decent ground clearance and mpg. Light and not so big (5 doors), you can drive her in narrow white road also. Central diff lock is an important plus, with some luck you can find one with rear Torsen diff (or take one from old Celica). To discover the world for me it's enough :smiley_drive:

ADVSubaru

Observer
CR-V's can easily overheat the AWD system, causing it to be FWD until the fluid in the rear system cools. While I haven't had any problems with our 2005 CRV for daily duty/snow stomping, I'd be cautious about the platform overall, although many have had good success - especially with the first generation.

I would throw a Subaru Forester into the mix as well as they have room and are a solid platform with good aftermarket support.

Here's an interesting video regarding CRV's AWD system: http://teknikensvarld.se/honda-cr-v-4wd-system-is-not-working-again-163708/

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I will leave this here as well. Scott testing the new back then 2007 pat. The 2013 ups with the 6 sp is the better drive, it has very close to the low range of the FDII CVT plus better high range gearing for highway travel. Also, the only thing you loose is hill decent. the suspension is the same, and you can pick up the FDII skid plates as well....you get the BLD and everything of the FDII platform. I use mine regularly and it works great for an overland vehicle.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/

autumn

Hello everyone. I haven't visited this site in a while but I ended up buying a 2007 SX4. I took it on it's first road trip last October. :)
14711520_692042150962463_7988319999799775524_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior