Tenkara and Tenkara Rod Co.

oregon213

Observer
I used to fly fish with a "normal" rod and reel for a number of years, and ended up stopping about five years ago. No real reason, just got caught up in other things.

I did the kickstarted for Tenkara Rod Company a year (or two?) ago, and got one of their sawtooth kits. I've fished it quite a bit since then, and landed a number of trout.

I guess I'm curious if anyone else has one, because I've got a few questions.

I've broke sections of my rod three times. The first was on me... Broke it it my driveway. The other two though, they've been "operational" in nature.

I was out on the John Day and hooked a little smallmouth bass. He was barely 4" long. Still managed to snap my rod at the third section from the tip. About a month later I had the rod up with me for the high cascade deer hunt and hooked a small trout in a mountain lake. Rod broke in the section below that this time.

So, anyone else experience similar stuff? I've packed the rod a lot, but always in its tube.

As for the good news, Tenkara Rod Co. has been awesome. Each time they've shipped me a new section at no cost. The last time they rush shipped the section. Great customer service is awesome, but each time the Rod has snapped I've had to hustle to collect the tip and land the fish.

I've, obviously, considered that my technique is the issue here. So much so that I went to a Patagonia Tenkara workshop a few weeks ago and I got good feedback. They recommended that I buy a Patagonia, go figure :)

Any thoughts? And... While I'll appreciate the comments about how I should use a "real" rod, I probably won't find them super constructive :)

GaryMc

Explorer
I have a few tenkara setups and like them. I like mine for small streams and clients new to fly fishing. In tight quarters it's a joy to fish without worrrying about my clients backcasting into the trees....
I fish them also. Winter midging, small streams, technical pocket water, ect., they are a great tool. Don't let the purists dissuade you.

Also, the Patagonia rods are made by TFO...

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I own TenkaraRod Co. and Tenkara USA rods.. I think the quality "looks' is a tad nicer with Tenkara USA. However, I have loved dealing with Tenkara Rod Co. I have had zero breakage with either rod setup. Did you fly fish prior to Tenkara ? What I have seen with cross-over fisherman ( Bass guys are the worst) is the crazy YANK hook set. Fly Rods in general don't like this action. Tenkara takes some getting used to as your only way to set is to raise the tip and let the rod action do the work. They are great to toss in a pack keeping gear to a minimum.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
You know...if you get a rod with a reel you can let the fish take line :)

I see the appeal of the Tenkara, but will likely never get one myself.

oregon213

Observer
I had a feeling I'd get that feedback. I've fly fished before, but took a few ears off before picking up the Tenkara.

I'd a four day trip over to the Steens right when I got the rod and was definitely yanking to set the hook. I landed a bunch of cutthroats over there and feel like maybe I did some damage on that trip.

I've got better about letting the rod do the work now, and hopefully I'm done with breaks.

It's awesome to be able to just strap I onto a pack and go.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I have a Sawtooth but can't seem to keep it out of the trees....going to try running level line instead and see how that goes.

dlh62c

Explorer
I also fish Tenkara, but have yet to catch a single trout. I have caught hundreds of bluegill and even a few bass.

As per the Tenkara technique, play the fish weakly if it fights strongly, play the fish strongly if it fights weakly. You work the fish close enough to grab the line, then pull them in. This takes the stress off the rod tip.

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer
I was doing some window shopping the other day for a tenkara rod.I noticed that a couple of the rods came with replacement tips.I am guessing they are delicate by design?

I decided they were not for me.Three hundred dollar willow sticks.

dlh62c

Explorer
I was doing some window shopping the other day for a tenkara rod.I noticed that a couple of the rods came with replacement tips.I am guessing they are delicate by design?

I decided they were not for me.Three hundred dollar willow sticks.

There's no need to pay $300 for a tenkara rod, TenkaraUSA is running a Black Friday Sale on their rods starting on Nov 19th.

When playing and landing the fish, its all in the technique. The tippet is the weak link and should break prior to the rod tip.

Spacial awareness is also important. You need to know whats around and behind you when you cast. Should you tangle your fly in a branch or bush, you collapse the rod, grab the line with your hand and pull on the line.

Don't think Tenkara is just for trout, I've spent mini hours fishing for bluegill and bass; http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2429

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGshAotMzng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZrEBnumeE

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer
I was looking for something for back country small creek fishing in the Olympic Nationial park.I am afraid the terrain/ vegetation is just a little to dense/extreme for a rod that delicate.

I love the concept though.

dlh62c

Explorer
It's all technique.

When the vegetation gets heavy you can telescope the rod down and grasp higher up on the rod. You can shorten your line too and use what's called a bow and arrow cast. You grip the line between your thumb and forefinger, point the rod in the direction you wish to shoot the fly and release the line.

Tenkara doesn't have to be limited to trout.

Last edited:

silvElise

Adventurer
I have been using tenkaras for a few years now... I found them when looking for something compact when I was visiting family in the Sierras (also backpack up there often). I am a huge fan whole kit is less then a lb and half and perfect for getting trout in all the small streams in that area :)

salty chicharon

Tenkara for travel

I always have a tenkara rod and a small box of flies with me, it's nice to be able to fish a stream in a minute or so, light weight, easy to use, what's not to like. the one thing I find is even a light breeze can make it difficult to make accurate casts.

rc51kid

Adventurer
I have only been fishing for a few seasons. Went form zero to trying to fish. season 3 now and I am doing really well with Tenkara. Sure I have my slow days. But that is learning. the first year is was happy to catch one or two. My fist catch was "amazing" but some tiny little fish. The second year I caught a few "real" fish. And I mean really only a few over 8". The 3rd year I was fishing for real. Sure I had days I ot skunked. But I also had days I caught a dozen mountain White fish. Or 10 12"+ Cut throats on the Yellowstone. It sounds like a slow larning curve but not really that bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles