E350 rear leaf springs

Petrolburner

Explorer
Gotta say, my Weldtec Designs complete spring pack ride amazing compared to stock. Money very well spent. I talked with Jeff at Deaver and he wanted $1500 for the same setup....

Scott

Yes that would be ideal, probably a much more progressive spring than stock + add-a-leaf. I've spent a couple thousand on my van in the last month and just can't stomach the 7-800 or whatever for the custom spring pack.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Just found an add a leaf locally from O'Reilly for $125. I'll have it tomorrow and get it installed before I leave for the Baja 1000 on Friday.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Just found an add a leaf locally from O'Reilly for $125. I'll have it tomorrow and get it installed before I leave for the Baja 1000 on Friday.

You could have gotten them from 4-Wheel Parts for $105.00 but I would recommend either. When you go to install them you will know why and when they wear out your stock springs you will really understand.

Petrolburner

Explorer
The local auto parts store could get them here the next day and I have the day off tomorrow so I went for it. I had an add a leaf on my Tundra for 5 years without any complaints. Why would it wear out the stock leaf springs?

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
The local auto parts store could get them here the next day and I have the day off tomorrow so I went for it. I had an add a leaf on my Tundra for 5 years without any complaints. Why would it wear out the stock leaf springs?

Completely different profile and sharp edges. If you got the long ones that go directly under the main spring they will wear on the main spring at each end and will even cause the main spring to bend at the ends. It is why we developed our full length Add-a-Leaf that supports both ends of the main spring - we were seeing too many bent main springs on heavy vans.

If you got the short ones they too will not support the main spring and will stiffen up the ride.

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
Completely different profile and sharp edges. If you got the long ones that go directly under the main spring they will wear on the main spring at each end and will even cause the main spring to bend at the ends. It is why we developed our full length Add-a-Leaf that supports both ends of the main spring - we were seeing too many bent main springs on heavy vans.

If you got the short ones they too will not support the main spring and will stiffen up the ride.

Autoparts store dropped the ball and never ordered them. Drove to WeldTec and helped Jeremy install his full length add a leaf on my van Saturday night. Didn't take before and after measurements but it added an inch or two of lift and rode a little better. Sort of tough to tell since I had about 1100 pounds in the back with all our gear, water, fuel, and dirtbikes in the back. I was able to carry a surprising amount of speed down the dirt roads in Baja. Dropping the tire pressure to 25 psi took the edge off of the washboard and rocks.

Deshet

Adventurer
Wondering if there is a real difference between the leaf springs that I would get from local shop and some of the brands mentioned here. It seems that leaf springs are pretty standard across the board, I don't think that these shops are manufacturing the actual springs. It seems that they are assembling the springs into kit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I bought custom leaf springs years ago (high school) for a Dodge Ram charger. The main thing that I had to decide was how many leafs I wanted. The cost with installation wasn't expensive at all.

What I am wondering is how much customization can really go into a leaf spring pack.

Then I am wondering how much difference exists between a parts store pre-assembled spring and a custom one. The average person is comparing worn out leaf springs to custom ones. The ride quality should be much better, but is it worth the investment to go from new stock leafs to custom ones.

Thanks

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Wondering if there is a real difference between the leaf springs that I would get from local shop and some of the brands mentioned here. It seems that leaf springs are pretty standard across the board, I don't think that these shops are manufacturing the actual springs. It seems that they are assembling the springs into kit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I bought custom leaf springs years ago (high school) for a Dodge Ram charger. The main thing that I had to decide was how many leafs I wanted. The cost with installation wasn't expensive at all.

What I am wondering is how much customization can really go into a leaf spring pack.

Then I am wondering how much difference exists between a parts store pre-assembled spring and a custom one. The average person is comparing worn out leaf springs to custom ones. The ride quality should be much better, but is it worth the investment to go from new stock leafs to custom ones.

Thanks

Big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94