E350 rear leaf springs

ert01

Adventurer
So my 2002 E350 needs a bit of a lift in the rear. Looking to gain 1" or so over where it sits now.

I'm not sure if the springs I have are sagged and if a stock replacement set would suffice, or if I need something beefier...

I currently have 4 leafs per pack, and they are almost perfectly flat.

Just a quick browse at Rock Auto shows 4 and 5 leaf packs... anyone know if a stock 4 leaf pack would pick me up an inch or so or should I go with a 5 leaf pack?

Van is pretty empty. It's not a loaded sportsmobile, just an insulated cargo van with a rear bench/bed.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How does your weight compare to stock? Ride height?

I'd buy the 5 leaf pack and pull a leaf if it is too stiff or rides to high... besides, its only empty till you use it, then that'll all change. besides, if it's too high you can add some Moog Variable rate front coils to level it out.:D

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
Call Jeff at Deaver springs in Santa Ana. I'll probably be doing the same soonish when I can afford it, they seem to be the go-to source for the SMB crowd.

Also, Weldtec has springs on their website now; they're around $900 for a set I think... they may even be Deavers for all I know.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
You have a couple different options, One would be to put one of our new add a leafs in to give you about 1.5" of height in the rear $325pr These half wrap the front and rear eye.

Or go with a custom pack that is 6-7 leafs built for the weight of your van, similar to what we are offering for our kits. Your going to get the height you want with increased performance+ smoother ride over stock.

http://www.weldtec-designs.com/product/e-series-van-rear-leaf-spring-kit/

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive been around Econoline vans for a while but yet to hear that term. Care to elaborate?
Thx

Im talking about OEM overloads that came on F-series.

Not sure if they were ever an option for the E-series.

Either way, they are a great upgrade for a heavy-weight

They are a single or multiple leaf that engages with pads when loaded and suspension settles a couple inches.

See photo...

1204cct-03-o-%2Bford-f350-rear-suspension-upgrade%2Bhub.jpg

ert01

Adventurer
No overloads on my packs right now.

I'd like to get a full custom pack built or shipped from any of our sponsors here or even Deaver, but my one holdback is our currently terrible exchange rate. I'm in Alberta and were at 0.73 right now compared to the US dollar... Add the price of shipping and customs and I'm looking at close to $1K for some silly leaf springs.

It might have been worth it a year ago when our dollar was on par but it's just a tough pill to swallow right now for a slightly sagging butt end. Still rides fine, just looks goofy. And that's a lot of money to pay simply for looks.

If I can find a replacement pack at a local retailer (Napa, Partsource, junkyard) then I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred to get it back up to where it should be.

Desert Dan

Explorer
You could add a leaf and or get a second leaf with full wrap on the front and half wrap on the rear eye.
The full wrap adds some safety if the main leaf breaks.

Check with a spring shop.

A new set of springs will probably ride better than old springs with an add a leaf.

IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0337.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'd try to get some decent take out springs (or cheap replacements from Rock) and then add a leaf for some beef.

Other option is to get custom springs made, easy to do that but you have the lousy exchange rate. Yes, will probably cost you 1k or more by the time you install them.

DougsE350

Observer
Id check to see if there is a local spring shop that could make a new pack for you.

Or if there is a junk yard near you look for a used set out of another van, I replaced the ones on my Quigley with a good used set and gained 1.5" rear lift.

Petrolburner

Explorer
So i just checked Rock Auto and new leaf springs are cheap! Even the shipping isn't bad. The different springs have different weight capacities though, how do I figure out what I need? Load the van up and weigh it at a weigh station?

HUSKY SPRING 431041 One of our most popular parts
Rear; 4/1 = 5 Leaf, 2-3/8" Pack Thickness, 2775lb Per Spring Rating $147.99

UCF 431085 9 Leaf, 3-5/8" Pack Thickness, 3460lb Per Spring Rating $226.79

UCF 431085HD Heavy Duty; 10 Leaf, 4" Pack Thickness, 4000lb Per Spring Rating Info One of our most popular parts
Rear; 10 Leaf, 4" Pack Thickness, 4000lb Per Spring Rating; HD Aftermarket Design (Only 2 Remaining) $266.89

REDOVAL

Adventurer
Gotta say, my Weldtec Designs complete spring pack ride amazing compared to stock. Money very well spent. I talked with Jeff at Deaver and he wanted $1500 for the same setup....

Scott

ert01

Adventurer
I weighed my van today:

Empty weights:
Front - 1790kg (3950lb)
Rear - 1700kg (3750lb)

Loaded weights:
Front - 1910kg (4200lb)
Rear - 1970kg (4350lb)

So if I divide those rear weights by 2, I get: 1875lb per spring when unloaded and 2175lb per spring when loaded.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz