Solar power with the bike?

Sleam

Explorer
Quick question, do you think there is a way I can charge my phone when on the road with the DR650? Solar? Or connect to the battery itself? Any suggestions welcome! thanks,
s

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The DR650 does not have a ton of extra power generation, but it is plenty to charge a phone and GPS. There are a bunch of different ways to connect a USB outlet. Best to connect one directly to the battery. Here is where I have detailed some of my power solution.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I always thought solar power could be a cool addition to a motorcycle that doesn't have a kick start.

I'd like to be able to charge camera batteries and such while the bike is stopped...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The challenge is relative to the size of the panel and the constant need to direct it at the sun at the most optimal angle. It's not enough to just plop a panel "in the sun." It has to ideally be aimed right at the sun to get more than meager power generation. Most panels will lose up to 20% of their effectiveness for every 10º off of "direct sun."

On the flip side, you can buy an Anker power pack for $40 and charge your phone 8-9 times. Battery technology has far outpaced solar technology.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
A little project I did to keep phone and computer charged

http://rvbprecision.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-mobile-office.html

IMG_0740-vi.jpg

Cabrito

I come in Peace
On the KLR I have a dual USB port (replaced my cig adapter with it) that I charge phone, camera, Sena, or whatever needs it. Sometimes I even charge my gopro remote overnight or while at food stops while the bike is just sitting there. I'm not sure what type of battery the DR uses, but I have a nice sealed battery on my KLR that works great.

stilljeremiah

The DR650 does not have a ton of extra power generation, but it is plenty to charge a phone and GPS. There are a bunch of different ways to connect a USB outlet. Best to connect one directly to the battery. Here is where I have detailed some of my power solution.
I had a DR650 and no issues charging my phone with a USB adapter. I even ran heated gear. I use a USB adapter hooked to my battery tender plug. I use it between multiple bikes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

::Squish::

Observer
Charge from a power source like a bike if you can,
Solar is an expensive back up and better suited if you aren't near an engine.
Plus the dollar to watt generated is just not a great return.

Jim(tm)

I had a DR650 and no issues charging my phone with a USB adapter. I even ran heated gear. I use a USB adapter hooked to my battery tender plug. I use it between multiple bikes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Me too. I have my plug zip-tied to the handlebars of my KLR. I also have a battery bank I charge on it that will charge my phone about 4 times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles