2005 Silverado "Work Truck" build

ZMagic97

Explorer
Well, a little has been going on with the work horse.

First up, She finally hit the 150,000 mile mark this last week. I was really happy to see that.

Next up, just before the 150,000 mile mark, this little gem started popping up, along with the "Passenger Airbag" light on the rear view mirror not coming on. And, the red "airbag" light too...

Come to find out after about 4 different days of looking, a black wire had come undone under the seat: I didn't see it at first since the black carpeting made it difficult to see. I ended up fixing it quickly today with a wire splice.

And all fixed! That issue was driving me nuts for almost 2 weeks.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
What kind of lift do you plan on doing? My friend has a 04 2wd with 2" coil spacers with 265/75r16 with zero rub offroad, and the spacers didn't effect rude quality unlike my truck...

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Fine looking rig you have there Mr Magic. I like what you have done in the rear canopy area. I am sure it makes it easy to set up and catch a snooze when you need to. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to the rig, and even better some shots of you out enjoying the wilderness. Cheers, Chilli...:)

ZMagic97

Explorer
Fine looking rig you have there Mr Magic. I like what you have done in the rear canopy area. I am sure it makes it easy to set up and catch a snooze when you need to. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to the rig, and even better some shots of you out enjoying the wilderness. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Thank you!

ZMagic97

Explorer
As a quick update, I have a couple Azden PSC-7000 2M radios laying around, so I put one in the Chevy. I'm not yet licensed (I just listen for now, hopefully going for a test next month) but figured having a hardwired unit in the truck would help me get motivated. Now I just need to learn how to use it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
After it was all cleaned up, I also took a photo of the headliner by the windshield.

It has been coming away from the board and began coming down like a curtain. It has been doing this in a minor way for about a year, but the other morning when I was leaving work the whole front was pulled away. I finally needed to do something about it.

So, yesterday night while I was off I decided to take out the headliner. It was a little tricky but not too bad.

Easier to see here where it has been an issue:

Seems like the interior is much taller without it in:

Oh, I got a steering wheel cover too...

Old headliner out as it was:

New material, draped over to ensure there is enough:

In the garage for tear-down:

Cloth removed, foam left over:

Removed the foam with a flapper wheel by hand, and got the thinner, left over areas with a foam sand paper block:

The leftover mess:

And how the interior shall sit for a week until my next day off:

Also a sneak peek at some goodies I got in the mail this afternoon thanks to Colorado_Outback!

ZMagic97

Explorer
Brown Santa (UPS) came today!

So, my truck was looking like so this morning:

And my glove box was becoming pretty cluttered...

So I decided to take out the not so function jump seat:

Though it was in stellar shape, it does not fold down like the other models. I really wanted some more storage space...

So I got a new jump seat!

I love that it can fold down. Also perfect heigh to lay your arm on and just hold the wheel steady for long drives:

Lot's of storage space up top:

And below!:

Actually, my DSLR fits underneath comfortably.

And the glove box is clean again!

The seat is from a 2007(NBS)-2014 LTZ option vehicle. It is a DIRECT bolt in. No drilling, no odd fit. Direct. The seat is a little wider so you kind of have to "push" the seats inwards to make getting the bolts into the floor an easy task.

With the under seat storage option, it's a stiff cushion. However, I will only need it for one of the kids on a rare occasion for only a few miles in town.

Overall this was a great upgrade and well worth the time and money. I got the seat shipped from eBay for $325 and the swap only took 30 mins of work. I spent maybe another 20 minutes cleaning and organizing.

Though the color isn't a total match, I think it will grow on me. The photos make the difference look a lot more noticeable than it really is, especially with the lid down (which is how it'll be 90%+ of the time). Perhaps the black color would have been better, but I can't complain.

Last edited:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Dang! I'm a little jealous! Triple cup holder and double the storage in the newer center consoles is nice!

You going to hook up the charging outlet in the bottom?

ZMagic97

Explorer
Dang! I'm a little jealous! Triple cup holder and double the storage in the newer center consoles is nice!

You going to hook up the charging outlet in the bottom?

Haha thanks. I also have the rear two cup holders, which is nice for my 25oz Corkcicle canteen since it sits a bit tall. Surprisingly there is a lot of room between the console and rear of the cab.

The double storage is certainly a big win for me. Now I won't have to put everything both large and small in the camper shell when I go to the store.

As for the power I may. If I do, (good chance I shall) I will do it in a few months when I have a lot more down time. I have a wedding in mid June and am on nights right up until then pretty much.

ZMagic97

Explorer
A flip down console was one of the first interior modifications on my 06 WT. I'm interested to see the temp mirror and console install. Take plenty of pictures!

:coffeedrink:

Sure thing! Colorado_Outback just finished doing the swap as well. He has the photos in the "Lil' Rusty" build thread of his.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Haha thanks. I also have the rear two cup holders, which is nice for my 25oz Corkcicle canteen since it sits a bit tall. Surprisingly there is a lot of room between the console and rear of the cab.

The double storage is certainly a big win for me. Now I won't have to put everything both large and small in the camper shell when I go to the store.

As for the power I may. If I do, (good chance I shall) I will do it in a few months when I have a lot more down time. I have a wedding in mid June and am on nights right up until then pretty much.

Nice, mine doesn't have any cup holders on the back but it's awesome how easy it is to get at stuff behind the seat now that the center flips down.

One thing I did notice about your truck is it only has 2 12v outlets on the dash by the ash tray where mine has 3. You might be able to piggyback the outlet under the center seat onto that circuit with minimal work.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Nice, mine doesn't have any cup holders on the back but it's awesome how easy it is to get at stuff behind the seat now that the center flips down.

One thing I did notice about your truck is it only has 2 12v outlets on the dash by the ash tray where mine has 3. You might be able to piggyback the outlet under the center seat onto that circuit with minimal work.

Ah I didn't notice that difference in the 12V outlets. I should have no problem tapping off another 12V for the console and probably will do so.

I keep telling myself I'll never need/use the outlet under the jump seat, however I'm sure the idea that it's "unfinished" will bother me until I wire it up. :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior