2005 Silverado "Work Truck" build

ZMagic97

Explorer
Well, since I was off on Tuesday night I put the new material on the headliner board.

I got some done at night, but ran out of the spray adhesive and finished in the morning.

All in all it came out pretty well. The corners have some small wrinkles here and there, but I believe most of it will be covered by the plastics on the pillars. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm awaiting a few parts to come in to add the overhead console before I can do the install. Also, I have a wiring harness to power the overhead console lights and compass/temperature display mirror, so I need to figure out where the old one runs and how to swap them out as well as where to add the temp sensor in the harness.

On another note, I'm looking into lifting the truck. I am stuck between getting stock shackles (prior owner installed drop shackles) with new shocks and a leveling kit, or a 3" Rough Country lift. Seems like pricing for each is about the same. I currently have 265/70R17 tires so I believe with a 3" lift it'll still look good.

3" is the max I will go, and the tires are still fairly new so I won't change then out. I don't need anything fancy or high performance, I just want a more aggressive look and some decent clearance for forest roads.

Input is appreciated!

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
as well as where to add the temp sensor in the harness.

If you want to run separate wires like I did just match the wire colors from the sensor up on the harness. Remove the blue pin keeper from the connector and then use a poker to remove those two pins from the connector then you can solder/buttsplice your new harness in. Dont forget to replace the pin keeper if you go that route.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Nice truck! I like seeing simple, clean trucks built with a purpose. And I like that it's a 2wd as well

Thanks! I had a Rubicon a little over a year ago when I was a single guy, and though I really enjoyed it I felt as though it was a bit much. With that in mind, I try and keep both of my trucks useful but without going overboard.

ZMagic97

Explorer
If you want to run separate wires like I did just match the wire colors from the sensor up on the harness. Remove the blue pin keeper from the connector and then use a poker to remove those two pins from the connector then you can solder/buttsplice your new harness in. Dont forget to replace the pin keeper if you go that route.

I think that's the route I'll go. I saw a similar thing on an Envoy forum that someone wrote up. I also need to match up the harnesses to see the best way to swap in the new one and route it. Unfortunately this seems like another Tuesday night off project.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Well, another Tuesday has passed, therefore I have more progress to post.

I got all the parts/hardware required for getting everything together so last night I was able to get everything installed.

First was the cab wiring harness swap. Old one is on the left, new one on the right.

Swapping the mirrors. Old on left, new on right:

Spot where the overhead console screws in:

Hooking up wiring in cab. Measuring for overhead console cut:

New harness plugged in by the parking brake pedal. Plugs are the red one on the bottom and top right white one:

Getting the headliner in:

Testing ambient air temp sensor and verifying wiring using alligator clip jumper:

Ambient temp sensor behind the grille:

Wiring from the sensor running along the inner, driver side fender:

Temp sensor spliced into the harness:

New mirror fully functional:

New headliner fully installed:

Old headlights:

New headlights in:

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
3 inch lift. Ya got to love it... Have you thought about checking out a BDS suspension kit for your truck? Their stuff rocks...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior