2005 Silverado "Work Truck" build

ZMagic97

Explorer
3 inch lift. Ya got to love it... Have you thought about checking out a BDS suspension kit for your truck? Their stuff rocks...:)

I actually backed out of the 3" lift right now. The idea is once again shelved. Reason being: it has been stupid windy here lately for weeks and having the truck blown around all day isn't fun. I know having it sit higher won't help, so I think I'm going to see what new shocks will do. Though the photos of before and after the shackles don't do it justice, the truck does sit a good deal higher and I feel the short wheel base, tires, and my basic needs don't require more at this time.

The truck is ready to hit 160,000 miles here pretty soon and the factory shocks are worn, but not blown by any means. I do have a few small mods in mind coming up, but nothing groundbreaking in the appearance department.

as Travelin_man mentioned the truck is simple and clean (which is what I like). In the past, I feel like I overdid some things on other vehicles and made it look awesome, but took away from the simplicity I enjoy. So most things now will be neat little things you don't really see but make a nice difference.

On a side note, I have to say once again that this truck treats me VERY well. I occasionally have an issue where when climbing moderate, long slopes (as I do going to and from work) the truck seems to lack power, drops into 2nd at ~4k RPMs, flashes the SES, it extinguishes, and moves on error free. Adding Seafoam or a similar fuel cleaner to the tanks every ~8 months seems to solve the issue. That aside, it's error free and has never once made me feel like I may be stranded somewhere.

I plan on driving this and my GMC for a LONG time. Both trucks were cash purchases, and when I told to co-workers and see how "average" a $1,000/month truck payment is I nearly have a stroke. I like the cozy feel of these GMT800s and they have treated me so well.

If nothing else, I plan to rebuild the 4.3 in the future if need be and keep on driving it. I have also considered making it 4WD (a lot of work for sure) or even swapping in a BBC and making it a sleeper of sorts with the same ride height. Again, I do just love the simplicity of this truck though.

I'm enjoying this build too, I have a somewhat similar truck... 2002 std cab 6.5' box, although mine has a 4.8 v8, 5spd and 4wd... Bought new and I've got every mile, receipt, dent and scratch accounted for :).. I'm actually a little jealous of your ride height--easier to get in, load etc and I'd like to think a little better mileage and handling too? Speaking of, what kind of mileage are you getting?

It's been fun watching you retrofit some of the nicer model goodies. Mine is an LS but I have been wanting to add that temp/compass mirror.

When it came time for shocks, I went with the edelbrocks. They're a pretty neat design.... Monotube but with an inertia valve in the piston; the theory is that they should handle like a stiffer valved shock but ride a little smoother over bumps (wheel forces like bumps should open the inertia valve, but body forces like cornering won't open the valve). In reality I think they're a little rougher riding than the OEM shocks but it does handle a bit better than stock. I'm really curious how they compare to the bilsteins.

I would really look at used V8 takeout. The gen III Chevy motors are great. I've been quite happy with mine, though I'd love to put in a LQ9 (6.0L HO) ;). Being that yours is 2wd, if you think you could live with the tall gearing I'd personally think about a T56 6 speed (out of a camaro or similar). I've been happy with my NV3500 but it is a bit notchy and isn't known for strength. I'm probably in the minority but the manual really makes this truck fun.

So much so that I am seriously considering going through the work to convert a Tahoe over to a manual. Two kids and two car seats works fine but there's no place for my wife to ride! Love the truck just need something the exact same size with four seats. It fits with about 8" to spare in my garage.

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
What I like about this truck is using GM factory parts from other GM vehicle. One of the guys on the ranger forum I'm on used all ford ranger and explorer parts on his truck. Here he has an explorer center counsel, explorer cluster, explorer HVAC controls, Explorer Overhead counsel and explorer seats. I love the look of using factory parts just like this build.

larit's Ragner 3.jpg

C W

I really like your thread. As you can see in my signature line I'm a fan of the GMT800 series myself.

If you don't mind, what spray adhesive did you use on the headliner? Mine is starting to come loose in front of the drivers side visor. Looks like I'll be needing some headliner repair pretty soon myself.

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
The lack of power is a 4.3 in a fullsize! :coffeedrink:

I have the a same setup and it's unbearable trying to pass at highway speeds with a full tank. After 9 years of owning my 2006, I've recently started running premium fuel. The power increase is noticeable and I no longer get the instant "pulled timing" feeling when accelerating and rattle from running 87.

Eventually a V8 swap will happen, but for now I cannot justify replacing a functioning drivetrain.

For shocks, I am using Bilstein's HD units, which were very hard riding for a few thousand miles in my shortbed. I recently installed a Hellwig rear swaybar kit, (pn 7800) which really helped the body roll/steering feel and rear stability over rough patches of highway.

Thanks for the info. I used to run 91 in it: I may go back to doing so here soon. I may look into the swaybar, but I don't feel any body roll issues at this time. Maybe I will now that you mentioned it...

I'm enjoying this build too, I have a somewhat similar truck... 2002 std cab 6.5' box, although mine has a 4.8 v8, 5spd and 4wd... Bought new and I've got every mile, receipt, dent and scratch accounted for :).. I'm actually a little jealous of your ride height--easier to get in, load etc and I'd like to think a little better mileage and handling too? Speaking of, what kind of mileage are you getting?

It's been fun watching you retrofit some of the nicer model goodies. Mine is an LS but I have been wanting to add that temp/compass mirror.

When it came time for shocks, I went with the edelbrocks. They're a pretty neat design.... Monotube but with an inertia valve in the piston; the theory is that they should handle like a stiffer valved shock but ride a little smoother over bumps (wheel forces like bumps should open the inertia valve, but body forces like cornering won't open the valve). In reality I think they're a little rougher riding than the OEM shocks but it does handle a bit better than stock. I'm really curious how they compare to the bilsteins.

I would really look at used V8 takeout. The gen III Chevy motors are great. I've been quite happy with mine, though I'd love to put in a LQ9 (6.0L HO) ;). Being that yours is 2wd, if you think you could live with the tall gearing I'd personally think about a T56 6 speed (out of a camaro or similar). I've been happy with my NV3500 but it is a bit notchy and isn't known for strength. I'm probably in the minority but the manual really makes this truck fun.

So much so that I am seriously considering going through the work to convert a Tahoe over to a manual. Two kids and two car seats works fine but there's no place for my wife to ride! Love the truck just need something the exact same size with four seats. It fits with about 8" to spare in my garage.

As much fun as it is, a V6 to V8 swap is a LOT of work on these trucks. Also, mine has been really good to me, so I'm afraid to change too much on it.

I'm glad you've been happy with your truck for all this time! As for the kids, I totally understand that. It's why we have the 4 door GMC.

What I like about this truck is using GM factory parts from other GM vehicle. One of the guys on the ranger forum I'm on used all ford ranger and explorer parts on his truck. Here he has an explorer center counsel, explorer cluster, explorer HVAC controls, Explorer Overhead counsel and explorer seats. I love the look of using factory parts just like this build.

View attachment 346927

Thanks! I feel like keeping the factory parts keeps the truck looking clean and simple. I appreciate the kind words.

I really like your thread. As you can see in my signature line I'm a fan of the GMT800 series myself.

If you don't mind, what spray adhesive did you use on the headliner? Mine is starting to come loose in front of the drivers side visor. Looks like I'll be needing some headliner repair pretty soon myself.

I used the Permatex 27828 Spray. Works very well in my opinion.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You could probably get some sway bars from a junk yard. I know the s10 pickup guys swap in the bars from blazers for less body roll. I assume the full size pickup guys could do the same, swap in a suburban sway bar.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94