in need of a new camp axe or hatchet

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Get a Ferber or fiskars. I've had my xl axe for 10 years now and have used it for splitting kindling when we had a fireplace, clearing brush for hunting and number out other camping chores. I've missed a few times and hit the handle and it is no worse for wear. I'm a believer.

If you want a hickory handle, get a wetterlings.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Do yourself a favor, get an old axe head on ebay for 20 buck and go to the hardware store and get a handle with wedges and make it a DIY project.
Under 40 bucks and you will learn something.
Watch Wranglerstar vids on youtube

I did this. I went a little overboard though and polished the axe up to a mirror finish.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
My Fiskars pro chopping axe has lasted for the past 10 years, and it has NOT had an easy life, I've kicked it's ***! I can't complain one bit, it's been awesome....

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
My vote also goes to the Fiskars. I keep one in my rigs emergency box and haven't had a complaint. I admit, I was wary about the way the handle wraps around the head instead of going through it like a traditional design, but I haven't broken it yet.

With that being said, rehandling a traditional hatchet isn't hard at all. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a new handle with a metal wedge and some wood glue to fill in any minor gaps.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have the Estwing long handle campers axe (26") (http://www.estwing.com/ao_campers_axe_long_handle.php)
I like the all steel shaft and slim design for keeping in the truck.
I use it for driving tent stakes, cutting and splitting camp firewood, clearing trail and chopping through ice when needed.
It isn't perfect but it fits in the truck and is perfect for my uses in a trail rig.

Oh ya. It didn't cost a fortune and is USA made.

Darrell

Italia64

Observer
And for something completely different......When I bought a hatchet about 25 years ago, I figured it would be a one-time purchase so spent the extra money (and it was well beyond my budget at the time) and got this from Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works in Arkansas. Excellent quality, worth the price.

Last edited:

squareaffair

it depends on what you use the hatchet for, is it chopping or splitting, I got myself a estwing fireside friend which is a splitting hatchet with a 4lb head. I have found having the heavy mallet end to be extremely handy. I have a folding saw that takes care of most of the cutting.

I bought a Gerber hatchet when trying to downside my gear weight after carrying the Eastwing axe for years. I like the size and weight of the Gerber but the blade edge has rolled pretty bad on some mild chopping tasks. I had read somewhere that they overheated the edge when heat treating so it requires removing a little material to get to the harder metal. I dunno if that is true but I have not got there yet.

I agree with some of the others above. Spend the money now on a quality camp axe that will last you for years.

R Stowe

Observer
I've had two of the Husqvarna carpenter's axes, and I've only had two because a buddy really liked the first one so I gave it to him. One had slightly better grain than the other, but all in all a great axe for the money. If memory serves they were actually made by Gransfors Bruks or Wetterlings for Husqvarna. That being said I have a Gransfor Bruks I use for carving and out of the box that thing has been phenomal. Scary sharp comes to mind. That being said out of your intial choices I wouldn't hesitate to endorse the Husqvarna.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have an Estwing and a Fiskars. Much as I like the Estwing, it is a poor splitting axe. Since I don't want to carry two axes, and I probably use the axe more for splitting than chopping (I use a Sven Saw for cutting wood) , the Fiskars splitting axe is what I carry now. It is good at splitting and can do a decent job of chopping if needed.

jerdog53

Explorer
Picked up a Wetterlings Bushman ax the Les Stroud model a year ago after much research into the subject and many hours spent on you tube.

DSC04517_zpse5krpwv8.jpg

I wanted something small enough it could be carried in or on a pack, big enough it could be used to fell trees if need be but not too big it could not be used for personal defense. I can care less who designed it really but it had all the attributes I was looking for size and weight and price. Have used it a few times this last summer and fondle it a lot.... I find it aesthetically pleasing, and very much like the way it feels in my hands like any tool should! The wood grain is rather straight not perfect but good, the fit and finish is proper, it is sharp as hell, no I didn't cut myself with it. The sheath fits well and will not accidentally come off.

DSC04515_zpspo8ohyfi.jpg

There are those that will say "you spent that one one of those :Wow1:" My big box stores had nothing with soul so I went on line and started doing research and found some that were interesting like the BasecampX units and the Best Made axes but felt there really wasn't anything special about their axes and for the price. Speaking of price the stuff Gransfors Bruks makes is lovely, very fine craftsmanship but I think you are paying for the name with them. I have a felling ax already along with a couple hatches and a double headed bit that were my grandfathers and are rarely use but I think this Wetterlings ax will be used exclusively in the field.

my 2 cents...

Longrange308

Adventurer
I have to put another tick next to Fiskars.. I have used them for years and have never experienced anything negative. In fact, I loaned one to a friend who promptly lost it, so I replaced it with.. the exact same model I had before..

There are nicer, more expensive axes out there, some lighter, some heavier, but for the money its hard to beat a Fiskars..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz