in need of a new camp axe or hatchet

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I need a new hatchet/camp axe. My little cheapo home depot unit I got back several years ago is about to come unhung and I'd rather get a quality one than waste time and effort on this one.

I read a bunch of reviews and did some research but would be interested if any of you could chime in.

Was considering the following:

1. Eastwing Sportsmans Axe - $40ish

USA made, all 1 forged piece...wont come unhung.

2. Husqvarna Hatchet - $40ish

Real Sweedish steel. Hickory Handle. Apparently marginal quality control (some handles have the grain running the wrong way, some are a little loose) Supposedly a lousy sheath.

3. Huskvarna Carpenters Axe - $60ish

Sweedish steel again. A little bit bigger (19.5" handle vs. 13") better suited to slightly larger tasks. Same quality control concerns, same crappy sheath.

4. Snow & Nealley Kindling Axe - $60ish

Legendary Maine based axe manufacturer. Issue is heads are now made in china. Otherwise they still get great reviews.

5. Hardcore Hammers Hardcore Hatchet or MiniHawk - $45ish
American made, good steel and good hardening. Hickory handle. Not much info on them out there. Some reports of the heads becoming unhung.

I cannot afford a Gransfors Burks or Wetterlings and prolly not even a Hultafors because i cant find any that dont have like $30 shipping rates.

Thoughts? Other brands I should look at?

KK6POV

Adventurer
I am really happy with my Fiskars chopping axe, I actually use it nearly every camping trip. I don't bring kindling I make my own :) its quite durable even after being in the sun on my roof rack, however I try to remember to take it down when not going out for a bit. I would TOTALLY buy another if this one were to fail for some reason. Although its not as glamorous as a handmade axe it is very durable.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I'd like to note I do own a fiskars splitting axe. Thing came sharp as hell and actually did a decent amount of damage by making a razor thin cut through my fingernail one day when new.

I cant get over the hollow handle. I feel like the thing would shatter if hit wrong, and I dont like to bring the big splitting axe out for field work on camping or wheeling trips, etc. I'd prefer something solid forged or wood rather than the hollow composite.

mezmochill

Is outside
Ignore the sheath and go with Swedish steel and a properly grained hickory handle. Your going to need to pick through some axes to find a properly grained handle.

summerprophet

Adventurer
If you use an axe everyday for work:
Ox head with hickory handle is the absolute best choice. But it takes regular maintenance, and care, actually a new one takes HOURS to get it just right.

For a recreational camp axe you have two choices (or styles):
estwing style or similar
The narrow profile, and all steel handle make for a great limbing axe. This would be great for cleaning ground, cutting branches, and clearing trail.

Wedge style (gerber or similar)
A wedge style would be more work for limbing and edge cuts (they tend to glance off easier while limbing and blazing), but are excellent for splitting rounds, and cutting kindling.

Now fiscars makes a nice hybrid between the two styles. I REALLY like it a lot. I have the hatchet for kayaking, the camp axe for the 4x4, and the long axe for the woodshed, so it goes without saying, I am sold on the design. Don't be hesitant on the hollow handle, I have about 30 hours into my camp axe, and the handle has been perfect.

(Not exaggerating on 30 hours..... I have cut staircases into fallen logs, made beach chairs, split wood, built bridges, and cleared trail.)

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
If you use an axe everyday for work:
Ox head with hickory handle is the absolute best choice. But it takes regular maintenance, and care, actually a new one takes HOURS to get it just right.

For a recreational camp axe you have two choices (or styles):
estwing style or similar
The narrow profile, and all steel handle make for a great limbing axe. This would be great for cleaning ground, cutting branches, and clearing trail.

Wedge style (gerber or similar)
A wedge style would be more work for limbing and edge cuts (they tend to glance off easier while limbing and blazing), but are excellent for splitting rounds, and cutting kindling.

Now fiscars makes a nice hybrid between the two styles. I REALLY like it a lot. I have the hatchet for kayaking, the camp axe for the 4x4, and the long axe for the woodshed, so it goes without saying, I am sold on the design.

No concern on the durability of the handle?

US CAV SCOUT

Do yourself a favor, get an old axe head on ebay for 20 buck and go to the hardware store and get a handle with wedges and make it a DIY project.
Under 40 bucks and you will learn something.
Watch Wranglerstar vids on youtube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles