I bought the wrong bike

A

agavelvr

Now that I know better, no bike is right. I currently have an 1150 ADV and a KTM 500 EXC, and neither one seems perfect at any given time. I keep trying to justify a 690. I think I was happier, and richer, when I was dumb.

Forget the 690, here's what you need :)

Or one of these...

wild1

Adventurer
TW200 alternative

I just got back from a couple of month's down in the southwest knocking around. I took my new to me 250 Yamaha WRX 250 in place of the TW200 that has accompanied us for the last eight years. It was much more comfortable with real suspension and enough power to easily keep up with traffic. Much as I loved the old TW I think that this is probably a better bike for what we do. It weighs pretty much the same has 2.5 times the power,a six speed transmission and fuel injection. It gives two people room to stretch out a bit more and the riding position is more comfortable for me. The x is the super moto version and this one has dual sport tires, a 3.8 gallon tank and the same rack system that I used on the TW200. It will knock down 65 miles per gallon if you don't rev it to the 10,000 rpm redline. I think that as a bumper hauled bike it is worth considering over the more common choices.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 77

demonslaer

Observer
Don't sell!!! You can get into a capable, travel worthy dual sport fairly inexpensively. Pick up a used dual sport for your off pavement camping and exploring. Just don't get rid of the CB550, what you have there is a nearly perfect Café project.
If we're honest with ourselves, our ratio between paved miles and dirt miles tips way to the pavement side. Bikes are a segment where specialization is king. No bike can do everything...well. Some flirt with competency in multiple areas but in the end, they are compromises. Bikes really are a tool...pick the best tool for the job. That CB is the right tool for looking cool around town.

what he said.. I had the same bike did some mods. smaller blinkers added 2 more lights up front. 4 into1 header ,trail tires, gear racks, raisd front fender, handlebars.ect it was one duel sport rock slinging ******** I was 17 5'10 135 kid man that thing was a blast took it more places than any duel sport i ever owend. KEEP THAT BIKE AND ENJOY IT !!!!!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I just got back from a couple of month's down in the southwest knocking around. I took my new to me 250 Yamaha WRX 250 in place of the TW200 that has accompanied us for the last eight years. It was much more comfortable with real suspension and enough power to easily keep up with traffic. Much as I loved the old TW I think that this is probably a better bike for what we do. It weighs pretty much the same has 2.5 times the power,a six speed transmission and fuel injection. It gives two people room to stretch out a bit more and the riding position is more comfortable for me. The x is the super moto version and this one has dual sport tires, a 3.8 gallon tank and the same rack system that I used on the TW200. It will knock down 65 miles per gallon if you don't rev it to the 10,000 rpm redline. I think that as a bumper hauled bike it is worth considering over the more common choices.

I've got a TW200 and it is a great bike. My first bike matter of fact. That 250 looks great with the bigger tires.

D

Deleted member 96197

I've wanted to build exactly what you have in to close to what you want for a while now. Before dual sports and adventure bikes, there were companies turning cb's in to scramblers, I've seen a couple recently that just speak to a part of my soul that modern bikes just can't access. Something like this:

http://bikebrewers.com/honda-cb550-scrambler-by-herencia-custom-garage/
Or there was one done by ziggy cycles a little while back, but I couldn't find a quick link from my work computer

mscuiletti

Observer
Thanks for all of the replies. I got back into the garage after selling my car, and got back to work on the CB. I will hopefully be able to find an enduro or start another project when the CB is "finished". I fabricated the rear hoop and seat mount, just working on a seat pan before taking it back apart to finish the welds and send for powdercoat.

I am tempted to go with a sidecar if I were to get into adventure biking, as I would love to bring my pup with. Unfortunately I just financed a new taco, so it may have to wait until i get that paid down (unless anyone has a project for me :))

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Back in the early 80s, before there was anything called an adventure bike, we just rode what we had. My 82 Yamaha 650 Maxim took me all over the country, down dirt roads, gravel, trails, camping in the woods, BLM land, etc. Nobody told me I needed knobbies for this, so I just made do with the ****ty street tires we had back then. Looking back, it had no suspension, not much clearance, and not much range. Again, not knowing any better, it did just fine. Amazing how freeing complete ignorance was.

Now that I know better, no bike is right. I currently have an 1150 ADV and a KTM 500 EXC, and neither one seems perfect at any given time. I keep trying to justify a 690. I think I was happier, and richer, when I was dumb.

This is one of the most profound things I've read on this forum to date.. :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep. the RR kit is awesome. But you get 90 percent of that stock with the V300, plus the 5800 dollar price tag for entry is IDEAL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles