Moog CC880S coils

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Finally put in the 3.5 Degree bushing on the DS. It has never driven so nice... 5-70 mph drives & brakes straight without holding the wheel. Now if only I can cruise control to work, I can go have a nap on those long straight aways. Or at least grab a cold drink from the fridge. ;)

To do the swap:
1) remove the wheel
2) raise the hub till the hub face was 90 deg to the ground
3) remove the bushing retainer bolt
4) pop the 2 deg bushing out with a chisel
5) install the 3.5 deg bushing so the offset is to the rear
6) adjust so the hub face is 90 deg to the ground again
7) reinstall retaining bolt
8) recheck camber with carpenter’s square
9) reinstall wheel and torque lug nuts to 120-140’ ft/lbs
10) enjoy having castor, camber, and toe all back within spec :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
After installing 880s coils... or any other lift coils... your alignment will be out. When getting quotes you will need caster/camber bushings. So you’re comparing apples to apples, make this clear to the shop. Or tell them the work you’ve done, get a written quote, and be prepared for a fight to get them to honour their quote.

RXtacy

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread again. I just installed the CC880s springs and am having an issue. When I jack the van up and the suspension is in full droop the coil springs come off of the lower perches? I did not remove the lower perches when installing as both the old and new springs fit over the perches. Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to capture the bottom of the spring in suspension droop situations?

Raul

Adventurer
The shock absorber should limit the down stroke of the suspension. If you are having this problem with the shock absorber installed you should be checking you have the right shocks.

RXtacy

WVI

Adventurer
I recently added KYB Gas Adjust shocks to my van.
Huge improvement on ride and handling.
I picked them up on RA and recived a $40 rebate to boot.
They made more of a difference on the van than the Bilsteins made that I installed on my former Ram 3500.

RXtacy

I used these Shocks on my old E150 with cc880. They were spected for E350.

I recently added KYB Gas Adjust shocks to my van.
Huge improvement on ride and handling.
I picked them up on RA and recived a $40 rebate to boot.
They made more of a difference on the van than the Bilsteins made that I installed on my former Ram 3500.

Thanks for the input guys. Raul, just for my own peace of mind, with the taller coils those shocks shouldn't have any issue with being overextended correct?

WVI do you have a part number?

Raul

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. Raul, just for my own peace of mind, with the taller coils those shocks shouldn't have any issue with being overextended correct?

I think these shock absorbers should work with both springs (880 and 880s). On my current van (4x4 so different type of shocks) I am swapping 880 to 880s back and forth and the same shock absorber is working fine.

BTW, what model, year, engine...van do you have.

mothgils

I think these shock absorbers should work with both springs (880 and 880s). On my current van (4x4 so different type of shocks) I am swapping 880 to 880s back and forth and the same shock absorber is working fine.

Don't mean to jump in on this but I have been thinking of doing the coil swap and those KYB shocks look decent.
I have a 2003 EB 7.3L

RXtacy

Ok thanks, I think I'll give those a shot. I have a 2004 E-350 V10 Chateau.

brushogger

Explorer
Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread again. I just installed the CC880s springs and am having an issue. When I jack the van up and the suspension is in full droop the coil springs come off of the lower perches? I did not remove the lower perches when installing as both the old and new springs fit over the perches. Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to capture the bottom of the spring in suspension droop situations?

You really don’t want the shock to be the “limiter” of your suspension travel. Under hard running they will fail. Make/purchase some limiting straps to install and save the high$ shocks.

Fork-N-Road

I'm running Moog CC880S springs and Fox Shocks 980-24-677 with my 4x4 MG Coil Over kit.

I just had John at Agile Offroad re-valve the Fox shocks last Monday and I'm very impressed with the ride improvement (on the highway and in the dirt). I thought that the shocks were working pretty well out of the box, but it's a much nicer ride after John did his magic. For anyone running Fox shocks, I can't recommend Agile Offroad enough!

MTBWagon

Dredging up this classic thread. I am in need of new ball joints on my '04 E-150 4.6, so I am seriously considering having a pair of the Moog 880 on hand to have the shop install at the same time. Is there a particular bushing part number you have to tell them so they can set the camber/castor correctly? I have a good shop - maybe the alignment guy can figure it out if I tell them they'll run into the issue?

Also, with the higher front height, what, exactly, is the course of action you guys are taking with the rear? A spacer? An additional leaf? Both? Anybody leave the rear as is or does it look saggy in comparison?

And, I'm guessing new shocks like the Bilstens above are going to be needed all around?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior