Moog CC880S coils

Raul

Adventurer
As I am reconsidering my spring options I was reviewing this thread and I realized I've enter some wrong info. I've edited my previous entries on this thread as i was convinced I had the CC880S on my old E150. I was wrong. I had the CC880.

I've done some quick and dirty calculations and I believe that I'll be better off with the CCC880 on the E350 4x4.

Measured height of the spring on my van is about 14.75". Initial free height of CC880S is 16.6". That is 1.85" of compression. With a spring rate of 652 lbs/inch I have about 1,206 lbs per spring.
The same 1,206 lbs on a CC880 (589 lbs/inch spring rate) will give a 2.05" of compression. 16" - 2.05" = 13.95" which is what I measured on my old E150.

Changing from CC880S to CC880 should give me a less rough ride and drop about 1" which I'll like as I think my van still stand a bit too tall at front. My only concern is the body roll as, even if it drops 1", the van is still quite tall.

What is everybody running on 4X4 Coil conversions with 5.4l?

Michal740

I also installed CC880 to make the ride less harsh. I use to have CC880s and in the 5.4 it did feel too stiff. I also installed Fox 2.0 IFP front shocks,but will send them to Fox to have them revalved. They seem little too live at the moment.

Raul

Adventurer
I also installed CC880 to make the ride less harsh. I use to have CC880s and in the 5.4 it did feel too stiff. I also installed Fox 2.0 IFP front shocks,but will send them to Fox to have them revalved. They seem little too live at the moment.

How do you like the CC880 in general? Not too much body roll? Did they lower your front end?

Michal740

How do you like the CC880 in general? Not too much body roll? Did they lower your front end?
they definitely improved ride quality. The body roll is there for sure,but it is expected I think from vehicle like this. My build is fairly light and I dont have a roof rack,so it is not something I have to worry too much. Once my shocks are revalved
I expect the body roll to improve. I remember driving with CC880s on White Rim road to Airport campground and we were beat. This time it should be major improvement. And yes,my front did drop exactly 1 inch with new springs,but I have seat spacer
that can lift it back up one inch,but havent installed it yet.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I've always wondered why Moog has the CC880 and CC880s for 92-97 vans and then the CC81368 and CC81366 for 98+ vans.

I picked up an '01 E150 with the 4.6 engine, which weighs about 500 lbs. From Raul and Michal's posts it seems the CC880 would be the way to go. $92 a set on Amazon but it says the 880 is only for "select '92-'95 vehicles".

Can I use the 880 on an '01 E150?

Or do I need the 81368 kevman mentions?

Or something else entirely since Moog says the 81368 only fits the '07-'14 E150?

BTW, RockAuto has better prices than Amazon on all of these springs.

Raul

Adventurer
I picked up an '01 E150 with the 4.6 engine, which weighs about 500 lbs. From Raul and Michal's posts it seems the CC880 would be the way to go. $92 a set on Amazon but it says the 880 is only for "select '92-'95 vehicles".

Can I use the 880 on an '01 E150?

Or do I need the 81368 kevman mentions?

Or something else entirely since Moog says the 81368 only fits the '07-'14 E150?

BTW, RockAuto has better prices than Amazon on all of these springs.

I think you can use any spring that works for these vans on any year from 92 to 14. I think that they work even on pre-92 also.

I had the cc880 on my 2000 E150, 5.4

I'll like to see the specs on the 81368. I check normally here but doesn't show. I have an 18 pages catalog and doesn't show those either.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I've decided to give a shot to the CC880 springs. I found them for $70 delivered at Advance Auto parts using the code PERKSPOT.

Woot woot! That's a deal! Thanks for the info, link and code Raul. I'm going to try them.

I had been looking at the Maxx-Lift 2" leveling kit but the CC880 seem like they'll not only give me lift but also better handling when the van puts on a little conversion weight. Plus they're less expensive. Trifecta.

I see Gtdad had to add a leaf and 1" block in back to get the rear height right. But he has the 880s. What, if anything, did you guys with the 5.4/880 combo do in the rear?

I was looking at Maxx-Lift's 2" rear block kit. But I suppose adding a leaf would probably help with body roll, handling and load, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
I tried the cc880s springs on my 98 e350 v10 2wd. It lifted the front 2" but they were just too stiff. I ended up trying out some front spacers with the stock springs and it sits the same height. I used some f250 2" blocks on the rear but they required cutting off the ears on them. You might dial in the front and then lift the rear to match.
Roughstuff specialty sells u-bolts for about $50 set of 4
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/U-BOLTS.html

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Still happy with the 880s Moog coils.

Still need to swap out the alignment bushing on the Drivers side because the Stealership charged me a small fortune to put a bushing in that wasn't enough... then they wanted to charge me even more to redo the alignment that they didn't get right the correct the first time. If you're ever in these parts, avoid the Stealership that is named after a hardwood tree. They quoted me one price for an alignment, and then when I arrived to pick it up they wanted to charge me a couple hundred extra bucks... and then want me to come back and pay another $400 to finish the alignment after they put in a bushing that wasn't enough... unless you want to pay $700-800 for an alignment go elsewhere. As you may have noticed, I'm still pissed... nothing like paying a small fortune to have an alignment done, to only have to spend more to get it fixed.

Raul

Adventurer
Still happy with the 880s Moog coils.

I think that for a diesel, and specially an ambo, the 880S are a good fit. For a light conversion with the 5.4 gas like mine, the plain 880 should work better. I am getting them on Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to install them over the week end. I'll report the first impressions.

Still need to swap out the alignment bushing on the Drivers side because the Stealership charged me a small fortune to put a bushing in that wasn't enough... then they wanted to charge me even more to redo the alignment that they didn't get right the correct the first time. If you're ever in these parts, avoid the Stealership that is named after a hardwood tree. They quoted me one price for an alignment, and then when I arrived to pick it up they wanted to charge me a couple hundred extra bucks... and then want me to come back and pay another $400 to finish the alignment after they put in a bushing that wasn't enough... unless you want to pay $700-800 for an alignment go elsewhere. As you may have noticed, I'm still pissed... nothing like paying a small fortune to have an alignment done, to only have to spend more to get it fixed.

Alignment of the TTB is always painful. I got the lifetime alignment from Firestone for my old van and I ended fine tuning the alignment myself with strings and the angle meter app for the iPhone.

Raul

Adventurer
I've installed the CC880 replacing the CC880s. First impressions are very positive.

IMG_2626e.jpg
As expected the height dropped about 1" but the ride is a lot better. More pictures and details on my build thread.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Well I'm still on my 880s coils with 5.4.
I managed to fit 265/75/16 in .
I don't mind the stiffer ride as I'm used to driving 25000lb mobile kitchen in the film industry.
The rear leaf I added with a custom inch block seems to work really well and as well.
My alignment is still perfect as well.

mothgils

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but what is the stock number for the CC880s?

I have an 03 EB E350 7.3 and would like to gain a little more clearance up front to run a 265/75R16. Eventually, I plan to convert it to 4x4 but for now this should be suitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles