Marutuk's Gen III Build

Bmp1

Depending how long the studs are you could use oversized nuts or stack washers to take up the space

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Depending how long the studs are you could use oversized nuts or stack washers to take up the space

The problem is that the wheel needs to be moved both back and up. I fabbed my own, but if you're not set up for that a local welding shop or high school/tech college welding class might be a place to start.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
The problem is that the wheel needs to be moved both back and up. I fabbed my own, but if you're not set up for that a local welding shop or high school/tech college welding class might be a place to start.
I have no setup for doing any repairs on my car currently (apartment complex, they don't really take kindly to people messing with cars in the parking lot) :)

But as I have to get my catalytic converter replaced anyways, I'll ask my mechanic to have a look at it, I am sure he can weld something together.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
So a few things have been done recently. I got my catalytic converter replaced (front pipes), did the cabin air filter install, got an extender for my spare tire fabbed by my mechanic and a light bar installed on my bumper (replacing my spots).

Some pics:
lightbar1.jpg

lightbar2.jpg

spare.jpg

Next up will be some small projects like installing a front and rear camera, a more permanent mount for my HAM radio on the rear door (most likely) and some other quality of life improvements.

Last edited:

Marutuk

KK6WFB
It turned out that to pass emissions I do need a fully intact intake manifold. For some reason it was missing some parts there but managed to work with someone to get them. With some luck I'll get these parts in the coming week and can get my car fixed up. :)

DeltaFry

Observer
The white bottle is my windshield wiper fluid reservoir as I had to move it due to the snorkel :)

That area is empty on stock gen 3s - some people use it for dual battery setups, compressors, etc.

Hello Marutuk - Are there any examples here if using that area for the dual battery set-up? I'm like where do I put that extra battery and is there a compatible battery tray which can be loaded there?

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Hello Marutuk - Are there any examples here if using that area for the dual battery set-up? I'm like where do I put that extra battery and is there a compatible battery tray which can be loaded there?
I'm working on plans for mine. That's my next mod. Once I get the design finished in SketchUp I'll upload it so everyone can have the measurements needed (and tweak my design to their desires).

Marutuk

KK6WFB
There are several builds around that have done it. But Gen 3's do have that extra space near the antenna in the engine bay. Some people also put it in the compartment where the 3rd row seats go (provided you take that out)

DeltaFry

Observer
Aux/ backup battery in Montero Gen 3

There are several builds around that have done it. But Gen 3's do have that extra space near the antenna in the engine bay. Some people also put it in the compartment where the 3rd row seats go (provided you take that out)

Thanks....
Any live examples would really help

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Marutuk do you get any rubbing with your 285/75R16's (those are basically a 33"?) And I see you have 2" lift... Do you have factory gears? Power ok? Thank you!

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Marutuk do you get any rubbing with your 285/75R16's (those are basically a 33"?) And I see you have 2" lift... Do you have factory gears? Power ok? Thank you!
No issues with it so far. My car hasn't been re-geared either (but it is on my to-do eventually). My 255/85s were basically 33", the 285s are 32.8" or so. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles