Marutuk's Gen III Build

Marutuk

KK6WFB
It turned out I had a vacuum leak in some fashion so after re-fasting the tubes it ended up fine. Once the P0171 code reappeared afterwards, but clearing the codes and then a long trip to Utah (snow fun, helped tow someone out of the snow) no new issues.

So next up will be some cosmetic / quality-of-life things but first our Gen 2.5 needs some love.

nckwltn

Explorer
The p0171 came and went for me throughout the last 8 or 9 months, but was more regular the last couple of months. I've got a feeling that more gen 3s are going to start to show a leak in the butterfly valve opening in the intake. Glad it's holding for now though!

Was in Utah over Christmas myself, 10 inches over the holiday weekend.... but had a rented minivan for the trip.... no snow driving, as I didn't want to the be one needing rescue!

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Lately my rear brakes seem to creak a bit much so soon it'll be time to investigate this and see if they need some love. :)

ajm291

Driving around tonight got p0431.... looks to be a bad cat on the drivers side.... which makes sense because that was the side with the cracked exhaust manifold.

Just had this same issue in my '06. Cracked drivers side manifold, clogged drivers side cat and P0431 code. I went deep into repair taking the engine bay down to just the block. Heads reworked at machine shop, exhaust manifold replacements from advanced headers in Australia, new cat y pipe, 4 new O2 sensors, new timing belt, tune up, new accessory pulleys, etc. running like a top now. Repairs done around 124,000 miles. I'm the second owner since 60,000 miles.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Been a while since I updated this thread but not much happening lately as I have been on vacation and other trips.

Currently pending installation of my new Adventure Driven Design's skidplates and front/rear cameras. :)

@Offroadmuch - I fear we weren't able to join as we were out in Europe at that time.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Been a while since I updated this thread but not much happening lately as I have been on vacation and other trips.

Currently pending installation of my new Adventure Driven Design's skidplates and front/rear cameras. :)

@Offroadmuch - I fear we weren't able to join as we were out in Europe at that time.

I just started my on-vehicle camera quest and am planning to get a 4 channel SD card based DVR so I can have front, rear, and undercarriage cameras. How do you plan to integrate both cameras in your system? Most head units and monitors are generally single input.

MNMONTERO

What do you think of the KO2s? I'm deciding between them and the Duratracs, which I had on my Gen 2.5 and loved. I live in Minnesota and want a "Winter Rated" all-terrain, so any real world experience you have with them would be great. THANKS!

Marutuk

KK6WFB
I do really enjoy the KO2s, they are more quiet and perform pretty well both on and off road.

As for my camera's, I had them installed, I'll give an update on that soon. But the short of it is that I got two cameras off Amazon and a small monitor that has two inputs, of which the primary one overrides the secondary if it receives input. I wired the rear camera to the backup lights so it turns on when reversing, and the front one to a switch so I can toggle it on/off when needed. They are working quite well.

Still have to find some time to clean up the cabling and such, but that I will do when I look more closely at the wiring in my car in general.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I do really enjoy the KO2s, they are more quiet and perform pretty well both on and off road.

As for my camera's, I had them installed, I'll give an update on that soon. But the short of it is that I got two cameras off Amazon and a small monitor that has two inputs, of which the primary one overrides the secondary if it receives input. I wired the rear camera to the backup lights so it turns on when reversing, and the front one to a switch so I can toggle it on/off when needed. They are working quite well.

Still have to find some time to clean up the cabling and such, but that I will do when I look more closely at the wiring in my car in general.
Pictures inside and out would be cool. Sounds like you have a great set up.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Here are some pics of the setup.

The front camera is mounted on the bumper at the winch area - I wasn't going to install that anytime soon so it works well. It is aligned so that the moment something disappears off the camera it hits my wheels.
montero_03_front_cam.jpg

The rear one is a bit more precarious - there was no good mount at the moment, so I attached it to the stupid plastic bumper. It is a bit shaky off road but not too bad.
montero_03_rear_cam.jpg

The monitor itself is mounted on the left side of my dash, so it isn't too much in the way. I velcro'd it in place. It uses a small flip switch to turn the monitor itself on/off.

Here it shows both the front view:
montero_03_monitor_front.jpg

Showing the rear view:
montero_03_monitor_rear.jpg

As the monitor would always show the front view (unless reversing) I put in a switch to toggle the front cam on/off. That way I don't have to look at it unless I want to but still keep the monitor on to use for rear view.

The switch isn't in the best spot, but I had no good choice at this time:
montero_03_switch_front_cam.jpg

Last edited:

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Not much going on lately, replaced a cracked battery clam-down as I prefer my battery not to bounce around inside the engine bay. But besides that, it is up for a maintenance round soon as it is hitting the 200k mark.

More work was done on the '98 monty however.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
A few tech issues popped up. The transmission ended up acting up (no longer switching to P, D or anything), but that fixed itself as the car was pushed on a flatbed to take to the mechanic. Further checking is being done however.

Additionally, provided the transmission is fine, there is a valve cover leak on both sides that needs fixing, and brakes need updating. Other than that, minor things that need adjustment like fuel gauge and a tune-up that's due.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Unfortunately the transmission is pretty much done for. As this is not an easy fix, and I have no time/money to fix this up, I am going offer this car up for sale. I am certain someone else can either fix it up and have a great '03, or use it for it's parts.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
One last update from me on this thread - I ended up selling my Montero to a fellow Montero enthusiast. I am certain we'll see more of it from him :)

Thanks everybody who has helped me with feedback and help with this car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles