Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Here's another pic of the same truck, looking in from the living area... Two single mattress with access in the middle, making the space of a double when lying across the truck if chosen... It means we both have our 'own space' but neither has to clamber over the other to get out... Not sure who owns this vehicle, but it has a nice layout!

image.jpg
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Default Progress....

So after a lot of measuring, head scratching and costing, I made a purchase today... There has been a mine spec truck/bus body for sale for over a year now locally to me... I have visited it, photographed it, measured it and pondered it 3 times over the past year, as it is beautifully built, and comes with a full engine driven AC system and 18 leather seats! The original reason I decided against it was because it was too long, and not wide enough for my truck. Since then, we have redesigned our layout, and added 500mm (19.75") to our original plan, making the body length 6m (236"). This eliminated one 'cut' on the body in question as it is exactly 6m (236") long. The next prob is the fact that it is only 2.15m (84.5") wide, whereas our truck is the standard 2.5 m (98.5") wide. I thought widening it would be a daft plan, but on my last visit I had a closer look with that in mind. The roof has a central sheet running up the length of the body which is rivited. This could be duplicated but wider. The floor has to come out and be lowered as there's not quite enough standing room inside, and I have to make a new floor with 3 point mounting to suit my chassis so this would be coming out anyway. With this in mind, today I made the current owner a low blow offer expecting to laughed out of the water. He added $1000 AU on and said 'what do you think'? I replied 'give me a week to think about it' at which point he deducted $500 and a deal was done! I now own the body pictured, and have the job of getting it home... oh, and breaking the news to Wifetec! AV body 2.jpgAV body 1.jpg

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.

Congratulations. It looks like it will work well for you and you have a solid plan.
    And great job on the haggling. Everything is always better, when cheaper.
    I am glad you can get back to the more important stuff, like your truck

Nice find. And as you would know with anything mine spec they are generally built to a standard, not a price! That air conditioner would have cost more than the asking price alone.

Indeed it would! I'll post some pics of the antics getting it home!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    So after a lot of measuring, head scratching and costing, I made a purchase today... There has been a mine spec truck/bus body for sale for over a year now locally to me... I have visited it, photographed it, measured it and pondered it 3 times over the past year, as it is beautifully built, and comes with a full engine driven AC system and 18 leather seats! The original reason I decided against it was because it was too long, and not wide enough for my truck. Since then, we have redesigned our layout, and added 500mm (19.75") to our original plan, making the body length 6m (236"). This eliminated one 'cut' on the body in question as it is exactly 6m (236") long. The next prob is the fact that it is only 2.15m (84.5") wide, whereas our truck is the standard 2.5 m (98.5") wide. I thought widening it would be a daft plan, but on my last visit I had a closer look with that in mind. The roof has a central sheet running up the length of the body which is rivited. This could be duplicated but wider. The floor has to come out and be lowered as there's not quite enough standing room inside, and I have to make a new floor with 3 point mounting to suit my chassis so this would be coming out anyway. With this in mind, today I made the current owner a low blow offer expecting to laughed out of the water. He added $1000 AU on and said 'what do you think'? I replied 'give me a week to think about it' at which point he deducted $500 and a deal was done! I now own the body pictured, and have the job of getting it home... oh, and breaking the news to Wifetec! AV body 2.jpgAV body 1.jpg
    Up till the point of seeing this i was about to ask why didn't you consider the idea of just building on the existing tray and keeping the crane intact to make tire change over easier. But now i am looking forward to seeing this truck evolve with this body.
    2015 Jeep Patriot Sport 4wd
    1999 Chevy Astro LT Awd
    1984 Chevy C10 "Farm Truck"
    1991 GMC C1500 Sierra
    2005 Kia Sportage
    2002 Honda Odyssey "The Ody" (Retired from expo duty)
    1985 Honda VF750F Interceptor "Mad Max"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
    Up till the point of seeing this i was about to ask why didn't you consider the idea of just building on the existing tray and keeping the crane intact to make tire change over easier....
    Hi Darkrider. A few have asked why I'm not keeping the crane and tray. I have 3 reasons. The first is purely weight... 2 tonnes of crane and approx 1 tonne of over engineered tray that is bolted hard to the flexible chassis (not suitable for building a rigid body on). When removed and sold, hopefully these will cover the cost of the body. The second reason is space.... The crane takes up approx 1.5m/5' of chassis space, all of which I need for a decent living space. The third reason is registration/on road cost. There is quite a difference between a 'goods carrying truck' and a 'motorhome', and if it is set up as a permanent motor home, then the tendency to still use it as a truck won't be there. I have access to trucks and tractors at work, and also now my house is built and the retaining rocks done, I no longer have the use for the crane. Having the truck set up as a Motorhome readily stocked with food and clothes makes it all the more tempting to jump in on a Friday avo and take off for a few days.

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.

Default Collection!

Body Collecting 2.jpgBody Collecting 1.jpg

So, after some slightly hairy crane work involving 2 cranes (one in control of each side) we managed to lift the body from its spot and onto the back of my truck. After a steady journey home and some more slightly ambitious unloading, the body is now sat safely at home awaiting it's place in the shed I'm building! We removed all the seats over the weekend, and there's now plenty of room in there!!!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345