The working - camping OBS F-350

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks Chorky! I remember reading about these. I actually was wondering about an e-locker. I'd say they are fine as long as you don't lock them in while you got a tire spinning. Our 18 wheelers all have air activated locking diffs. They'll snap an axel every time if you engage while spinning. Not cool. $500 bucks a pop!

twodollars

Seabass, I've used a detroit in a few trucks, two were 3/4 ton gms with full floating 14 bolts. Running 37 inch tires and 500 lb of torque, never an issue. Used e lockers in h1s, and while they worked well, I still like the automatic traction of the detroit. I can not talk to the arb, I imagine it is about identical to the e locker. Also ran the torsen diff in the h1s, but brake modulation is mandatory if you lift a tire or have an axle with one wheel high traction and one wheel low traction. Again, for me I'll take the traction and the few quirks that come with the detroit.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've run detroits in the dirt and on the street. Simple, strong, I love them. Once you get used to the loud bang when they unlock, you will forget it's there.

Seabass

Idiot
Fellas, thanks for the input! I was beginning to lose heart. I went to a big truck shop today that specializes in driveline parts. They also happen to sell all the parts that go in my rear axel. So I had one of the guys work me up a quote. Ouch! It's a chunk of change, But..... it's every single bearing and seal for my axel as well as a new ring and pinion. Only thing they didn't price out were the brake cylinders, shoes, and hardware kit. And the locker they included in the price, yep- It was a Detroit. I'm going to hold off in the front diff and Tru-trac until I get all the suspension worked out on the diesel truck. SHEWWW-WHEEE!!!! The springs are bought and payed for on it, but I still need a track bar drop bracket, extended brake lines, maybe a drop pitman arm, new shocks, and new shackles. Dang......I'm gonna need to sell some cows!

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
eace85f16fa68113644cab62767e0354.jpg

Remember everyone, it is EXTREMELY important to take it easy on your truck when the rear axle is about to blow up. If you push the truck too hard -it will fail. Hold my beer....

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You still have the front axle. Just be prepared for some funky handling characteristics in front drive only.

Seabass

Idiot
You still have the front axle. Just be prepared for some funky handling characteristics in front drive only.

Yeah....and that really is living dangerously! Hopefully I'll get time to start on it in the next week or two. I'm keeping it close to home. I'm very fortunate to have the diesel truck waiting on me should I need it.

Seabass

Idiot
So it looks like "stuff and thangs" are happening!!!!
7906dd39ab2ebd8e8ff06fa10cb4ff3a.jpg
73daab46524a99f6c96d285b2c2c0df6.jpg

Super excited right now! I went on and ordered everything and picked up the parts today. I have a great friend at the farm for a few days and he's going to help me set the gears up. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never had to set one up from scratch. But this axel is going to be completely full of all new parts. I definitely don't want to mess anything up.
Now I want to show off just how we roll at our farm, and just how willing we are to try about anything. Well, we're also determined to squeeze every bit of value out of something before it gets scrapped out. Here's a few pics of the "community" farm truck. We get just enough winter salt that a truck will rot. But, we don't get so much salt that a truck can't be easily kept almost rust free. But a lot of people here wash the body of a vehicle and never clean the undercarriage. That's the case with our old F-150. It's original owner must have never sprayed off the frame. It was far worse than we realized when we bought it. The frame was paper thin starting about two feet behind the cab. So we've chopped it off and are building an 8" channel iron frame. We will scab, weld, bolt, and plate onto the remaining good frame. It'll be as strong as new....probably stronger. We will use the exact same process that we would use to lengthen, or shorten the frame on a big rig. It'll have almost no re-sale value. But that's ok since the truck will die with us. Enjoy the carnage!
88b19f6b5a17c24523312ba8d7b84382.jpg
5a474ee4f64a131a4b123b4014430518.jpg

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
Well, I got the rear axle assembled and swapped last Saturday. It took several hours, but it went really well. The temp dropped all day, and we actually ended up with a couple inches of snow. By the time I eased the truck out of the shop I had some slick, snowy roads to drive home on. What a great test of the locker! Guys, I've done a lot to this old truck. However, this locker may be at the top of the "favorites" list. I've driven it all over the farm since the install and I'm amazed at how well the truck pulls. It really is a tank! I'm also really pleased with its handling on the highway. While there is a "noticeable only to me" difference it's not bad. I really only notice it's there when exiting a gravel road onto a paved one where the turn is really tight. That inside tire tends to kick up some gravels! So- all in all I'm very happy so far. I look forward to lots of adventures in this old truck. I still have many more upgrades planned, some fairly detailed and others simple. But, you can be assured that I'll be updating any substantial changes to the thread.

Seabass

Idiot
5f1066e455eb44c4412a2d46d0d0578e.jpg
59f337a854974f924b2188468ccb7960.jpg

Big block, hand shaker trans, seating for six, good tires, flatbed, Detroit locker, winch, and tire chains.....bring it on. Love my old truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94