Skamper ?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Hey all , I've been looking for a fwc eagle and came across a skamper that would work but can't find much info, anybody own one that could
enlighten me ?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Lived in a Skamper Bunkhouse travel trailer for awhile. It was fine, stayed dry in the rain and about as warm as a trailer gets in the cold. I should mentioned it was company housing and I did not own it. Skamper made both hard side and pop up trailers and campers. Using the search feature at the top of the page should get you the build threads on Skampers that have come past here from time to time. As for company history try the following:

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/skamper.php

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/skamper1985brochure.html

Good luck with your search:)

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Basically the quality and the weight. I really like their little fiberglas trailers, but doesn't fit my needs.
Probably my #1 concern for any pop up is the waterproof issue/s, and when in the rare times snow/ice conditions when putting top down to get on the road.

Canufixit

Observer
I'm assuming a pop up truck camper?? "if" the unit has a HECO torsion bar lift system I'm very inspect the corners on a used one. It seems many of the MFG use the back top edge frame to mount the torsion bar Anchor assembly. And, they typically used plywood for the edge frame. Not "Should" but "When" the rear top corner edge boards let the Mounting bolts pull thorough the old/rotted/ stressed plywood frame it puts the torque on the roof top and corners. This results in the Box top becoming twisted, out of square and not parallel to the camper base side. Now , this causes the top to bottom seals to move and unseat allowing for water anywhere along the Top roof to Camper bottom seals. (Search for HECO Lift or Skamper roof repair in the forums for more info and lots of pics).

Because of this I'd look for water marks/damage along the whole top edges of the base camper's walls and esp. at rear corners. Other than That My new (to me) very old Skamper seems to have held up very well since it was made in approx. 1984.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Thanx , real good info ,yes truck camper, I'm sure the issue you explained is not unique to Skamper. .
What is type of sealer/fastener is typically used to seal top and bottom of fabric ?

Canufixit

Observer
Thanx , real good info ,yes truck camper, I'm sure the issue you explained is not unique to Skamper. .
What is type of sealer/fastener is typically used to seal top and bottom of fabric ?

Well on mine .... The Coated "fabric" is attached to roof and top of camper side walls. The manner in which the material is attached acts as a "layered" covering on the seams where attachment is made (i.e., like a roof layered design). When the top is to be closed the top is dropped and the now loose fabric is pulled into the camper and the top touched the bottom with a gasket running around the top and bottom mating contact points. This is why the Torsion bar system is important to be in the proper place and operating correctly. Should the Torsion mounting points twist and move on the tope edge frame - the top edge frame now becomes deformed in 3 dimensions - making the good sealing of the gaskets not possible.

mvorpahl

i purchased a 1985 skamper 114C. Perfect condition if you can believe that. It did not come with a manual for it. Any suggestions? I have contacted all the local camper and RV places to no avail.

traildude

Nice work, also just got a Skamper and lurking around trying to find out how to really know if it has any rot without taking the roof apart. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz