Butch Cassidy's Hideout...

mph

Expedition Leader
The the deserts of southcentral Utah are a magical place. A place that many pass on their way to more "known" places such as Horseshoe Canyon and the Maze of Canyonlands. Robber's Roost is that place. There is no "in your face" beauty like Canyonlands, Bryce, and the San Rafael Swell. But, with a litte effort, you will find some of the prettiest canyons Utah has to offer.

Butch Cassidy called the place home at times escaping the lawmen after him. The Robber's Roost canyons drain to the Dirty Devil River. The canyons themselves are remote and hard to access. There only a few hiking trails in and out of the canyons themselves. However, if you know how to use ropes; you can be busy for years:)

My friend Tyson and I rallied down last Friday night. This time of year, it's dark at 5:30, so we didn't get any shots. However, we did awake to this...

IMG_5021.jpg

The Henry Mountains...The last range in the US to be map. It was a glorious morning!

DSC_0111.jpg

Coffee Please!

DSC_0005.jpg
Photo: T. Smith

If you are in Utah backcountry, you will get used to opening a few gates. Yep, the horizon doesn't show much promise but wait...

DSC_0022.jpg

Tyson ready to drop in and follow Butch's footsteps.

DSC_0032.jpg

Straight forward rappel down into Robber's Roost.

untitled-0903.jpg
Once you enter...You do feel pretty insignificant in the world.

DSC_0043.jpg

Tyson seeing the light...

DSC_0056.jpg

Tyson ready for the 3rd rappel further into the depths of the Roost.

DSC_0062.jpg

We got lucky to see a few fall colors popping down in the canyons!

DSC_0067.jpg

We climbed out to see and feel the final rays of daylight. Dark at 5:30...Damn!

The night was normal until we saw a large white light in the sky! More to come...

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
wow the rope work adds an entire new element to it all,
great pics and write up
thanks for taking us along

mph

Expedition Leader
The stars were out this night. We enjoying the campfire when a streak of light came across the sky. It was bright...It was not natural...The light dissipated but what was left was an enormous white cloud! We were stunned, shocked, and confused. UFO? We later learned that a Navy missle was shooting through the sky from California.

Enjoying the cold...Fires always help!

untitled-0995.jpg
Photo:T. Smith

It's really just big country! Good country...Grand country...

untitled-1103 (1).jpg

Tyson caught me in my element. Setting up a rappel. Webbing, rope, etc. It was a lovely morning!

untitled-1104 (1).jpg

Time to hang on some ropes...

untitled-1134 (1).jpg

An awkward start but a nice down...
untitled-1169 (1).jpg

The slots of Robber's Roost hold many secrets. It's fun to find them out...This one involved a pool of water.

untitled-1120 (1).jpg

I have always enjoyed taking a stroll in canyon country. The towering walls above. Sand under one's feet. On this day, I thought of the horses and outlaws that called this place home for a short time. The springs and cottonwoods made this an inviting home for sure.

untitled-0979 (1).jpg

The canyon continued down...Mother Nature had created a path...we had to follow.

untitled-1192 (1).jpg

Clean up time...the sun felt great...It was just a nice casual jaunt from here on out...We escaped one of the only true "horse" exits I know of in the region.

untitled-1243 (1).jpg

Tyson drove this journey. His truck had a new suspension put on by Cruiser Outfitters of SLC. He seemed quite happy in his new ride.

DSC_0141.jpg

With smiles on our faces, we headed north. Winter in the Wasatch has started...the desert season, for us, has come to an end. But, with anticipation; we will watch the weather and make our escape. Just like Butch and the Wild Bunch!

Until next time...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the weather has turned in the high deserts of Utah. It is somewhat crazy, but I was in the Maze a month or so ago. The visitor center sits only about 200 feet below where I live in the mountains.

Jeez man another adventure this year? Looks like a great time, thanks for sharing with us!

WininUtah

Adventurer
Thoroughly enjoyed your report. I'm afraid my rope days are either very limited or over but that country is awesome to visit anyway.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yep, I gave up on roping back in 1992 when a friend went down on a fast descent off of of El Capitan. I still have all of his equipment, Just no desire to use it again.
It does look like you had a good time.

Doug E

Observer
Indeed. The trip looks great. I too am past my roped up climbing/rappelling years, but not past my fun off-road adventure years, and yours was certainly one to envy.

mph

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about your friend...My brother in law went down on a rappel and broke his back in Robber's Roost. Long story...But, that "uneasiness" is always there.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Sorry to hear about your friend...My brother in law went down on a rappel and broke his back in Robber's Roost. Long story...But, that "uneasiness" is always there.
The rangers called my neighbor so he would be at the widows house when they called. I didn't know they had a full time coroner there in the park. Yes, a long story here as well. and much should be unposted. I'm sorry about what happened to your brother in law but it can be an unsafe sport and I haven't dangled on a rope since 1992. Not that I ever cared much for it, ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94