Joe Hauler

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Friggin' Sweet

I finally got around to trying the Joe Hauler with my bike loaded up and I have to say that I am very pleased with the set up.
Despite the legions of people who have and use Joe Haulers I have always had some doubts on how well it would work. However, it seems that all of my skepticism was for not.

I had used a trailer in the past but it was never my favorite option. I had considered getting a smaller trailer to haul one or two bikes but I don't have the room to store one and IMO it is still too cumbersome and limiting.

DSCN2492-1.jpg

The construction of the Joe Hauler is very good, undoubtedly stout, and and at 50lbs. the weight isn't bad. Note the Bizarro Discovery II in the background....mmmm chrome wheels.

DSCN3758.jpg

The Joe Hauler I recieved came with the optional loading ramp which makes loading and unloading the bike much less of a chore. The ramp attaches the the carrier with two wingnuts and is easily removed and stored. I very easily loaded and unloaded the KTM by myself with no assistance which was another concern of mine.

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3759.jpg

The lashing points for the straps are simple holes drilled into the outriggers that easily accomodate a ratchet strap hook.

DSCN3762.jpg

The Joe Hauler will protrude a little over three feet from the reciever on the driver's side because of the lashing outrigger. As others have mentioned, the departure angle goes out the window but for my intended use it is wholly acceptable.

DSCN3766.jpg

The the hauler is seven feet wide and it barely protudes from the width of my truck. Still easier than a trailer and not a whole lot of sag at the ******** end of my truck. I am anxious to see how the whole set up is when the truck is loaded with all of my gear and fuel on board.

DSCN3769.jpg

DSCN3765.jpg

I took it for a spin around town, on the freeway, and on a dirt road that was no worse than a moderately maintained fire road. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how well mannered the truck and the hauler were. There was only the slightest amount of wiggle in the back which will likely be cured with a lockable silent hitch pin.

DSCN3772.jpg

Other than the silent hitch pin, the only thing that I will add to the hauler is a set of trailer lights since the KTM blocks all but the third brake light. The Haul Master Deluxe Trailer Light kit will suit my needs and its only $20.

So what do I think? I like it and would recommend one to anyone (TACODOC!) who wants an easy way to haul their motorcycle (TACODOC!!).
:roost:

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
gearguywb said:
How much weight can you cary on something like that?

600lbs.

Muddy: Shame on you, that 640 is waaaay too clean, means you haven't been riding nearly enough....:p

Oh yeah, I would highly recommend getting cover for the bike, it will pick up al lot of road grime from the eddy that forms behind the Landy. Yeah I know the bike is meant to get dirty and all, sure is nice to start a ride when it is fresh and clean. I put a "dirt blocker" on my trialer for such reasons.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
Shame on you, that 640 is waaaay too clean, means you haven't been riding nearly enough....:p

Ssshhhhhhhhh....I cleaned both for the pics.

Kermit said:
Oh yeah, I would highly recommend getting cover for the bike, it will pick up al lot of road grime from the eddy that forms behind the Landy. Yeah I know the bike is ment to get dirty and all, sure is nice to start a ride when it is fresh and clean. I put a "dirt blocker" on my trialer for such reasons.

I've already thought about that. I have a cover but I'm not too sure how well it will work back there. More stuff to ponder that's all.

Clutch

<---Pass
What you could do is get the KTM outdoor cover (cheap only $60), and for the tiedowns, have a seamstress cut holes and reinforce the edges, maybe make a sleeve of sorts to keep it the grime out. I have given it some thought, I was going to buy one of those haulers at one time.

59012007000.jpg

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
What you could do is get the KTM outdoor cover (cheap only $60), and for the tiedowns, have a seamstress cut holes and reinforce the edges, maybe make a sleeve of sorts to keep it the grime out. I have given it some thought, I was going to buy one of those haulers at one time.

That's what I was thinking too. I have the indoor cover which I think would be ineffective outdoors.

ilike2ride

Tie-Downs

Just a suggestion, after using my hauler for off roading I recommend using a 5K Carabiner to lock ratchet straps onto holes on hauler. Also girth hitch tubular nylon onto bike and upper ratchet strap hook to ensure no separation. The regular hooks can pop loose when cycling suspension during an off road situation. Enjoy!

double moo

Adventurer
I've used a hitch hauler for years. I have found that using a fork brace makes it easier to snug down the straps. Pop in the fork brace, lean the bike towards the car, snug the inner strap until the brace touches the fender, pull the bike away from the car compressing the brace into the tire rubber and snug the outer strap... done I have done this so many times that I've got it down to less than 2 minutes to load and strap the bike.

airjammer

Observer
we call the johnny haulers

Don't know the origin of the name. I bought this one at Cabelas..$50. It was a great purchase.

Attachments

• treg.jpg
    treg.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles