2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build Thread

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Time for an update.

The engine in this jeep ran very rough. I hoped for the best and it was better than the black Jeep but I had another dropped valve seat.

image.jpg

I spent the whole day tearing it apart last Sunday. The hydraulic fan system was a pain. Actually found oil in the radiator. A flush of the heater core and engine block showed all oil on the radiator side of the thermostat. When I finish putting it back together tomorrow I'll swap the hydraulic for electric and mechanical combo.

image.jpg

While it was apart I installed a whole new timing set. Peace of mind for future trips.

image.jpg

Finally, I installed new hydraulic lifters. This engine has not run enough for me to know whether I needed them but previous 4.7 experience make me think it will be a good idea.

I've been very surprised how great of condition these engines are in the bearings and cylinders. Even with nearly 185,000 miles the cross hatch patterns are still visible and no lip has formed at the top of the cylinder. All internal bearing surfaces show very little wear.

Can't wait to take it down the street tomorrow!

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Sunday went well but it isn't quite running. I buttoned the engine back up and worked on swapping out the hydraulic fan system for the factory mechanical fan and electric combo.

2016-06-19 12.31.16.jpg
This is a direct swap but requires changing the power steering pump as well.

2016-06-19 12.33.43.jpg

I don't know how others like to work but when I have a Jeep apart it sometimes takes a while before it goes back together. Time, work or family commitments can keep me out of the garage for long periods. One of the things I do to make sure everything is still there when it comes time to put it back together is to put bolts and screws back into the holes they come out of.

Last edited:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
While I swapped out the bad head on this engine it had to come apart pretty far! All new gaskets and many new parts go on during re-assembly. New parts included:

All intake gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Head gaskets
Timing cover gasket
Front seal
Valve cover gasket
Valve cover bolt gaskets
Fuel injector O rings
PVC valve
Oil filler gasket
Alternator
Water Pump
Power steering pump
Idler and Tension pulleys
Thermostat
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Power steering fluid
Antifreeze
Oil
Airfilter
Spark plugs

Again, the purpose of this build is reliability on long trips. The nice thing about having a parts rig, and after replacing so many parts (many of which were still servicable but old) I will have quite a nice little tool box of parts for spares. I know I can't carry a whole new jeep with me but I will have several items that might not be available at the local parts store....especially if that store is a 100 miles away.

I will make one kit that stays in the Jeep and another that stays with my trailer. This will be a topic for later. Another topic will be my tool kit. I have written down every socket, wrench and prybar I have used during the suspension and engine work. I will review this list and decide what needs to go in my tool kit and what doesn't.

For instance I know I need both deep well and regular 10mm sockets. I would love to carry one or the other but I NEED both for clearance purposes. I also need the 10mm wrench. There are places on the engine where I cannot get a socket on the bolt or nut and need the wrench. Other places only have room for a regular, short socket and yet others that need the deepwell to reach over long studs.

Similarly I have yet to use a 14mm for anything.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Please post a copy of that list! I used a 14mm (9/16ths) for the top of the front shocks. Thanks for the MC link. Have you had any bump steer issues?

I will when it is complete!

I replaced the front shocks with Bilsteins. The upper mount now has an adapter to eliminate the shock stud.

Engine issues have prevented the road test. I will definitely report back on bump steer as I'll be driving it this weekend.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
2016-07-02 19.54.41.jpg

It moves under its own power! I drove it around the yard and up the driveway. It is progress.

2016-07-02 19.54.17.jpg

Installed the HK winch mount as I put the front end together. I had a little problem with the rearmost bolts in the mount. They are designed to go into the stock front skidplate mount hole. As mine had never had a bolt in them they were full of rust. The hardware supplied would not go in all the way. The proper way to fix this would be to run a tap in to clean up the threads. I checked my taps and didn't have the correct size. I had learned a trick from my dad years ago that works great in this situation. I went to my bucket of bolts and found a match, took the wiz-wheel and cut a groove up the side of the bolt. It worked great to clean up the threads along with a bit of PB blaster.

2016-07-02 20.34.24.jpg

You can see the threads are starting to round out. I could have avoided this had I taken it slow. I rammed it in with my impact. It still cleaned things up for me.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Sadly very little. Between home projects, kids sports and a family whitewater rafting and high ropes adventure to the New River Gorge I simply havent worked on it very much.

I did make a little progress with the winch. I used HKOffroad's hidden winch mount and a Warn XP 9.5. The spooling lever ends up resting exactly under the grill with everything in the factory location. My solution was to rotate the lever two bolts reward and cut an access hole in the grill. Works perfectly even with my XL-glove sized hands.

20160918_083854.jpg

20160918_083907.jpg

20160918_083914.jpg

20160918_083924.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It always amazes me how fun can get in the way of important stuff like work... :elkgrin:

Really digging your winch project. :beer:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I started trimming the laredo bumper to fit the HK Offroad winch mount. I still have a little clean up to do and need to trim around roller fairlead, but everything fits pretty well and was relatively easy to do.

A couple of bad pics:

2016-09-20 20.00.19.jpg

2016-09-20 19.59.16.jpg

2016-09-20 20.00.47.jpg

2016-09-20 20.00.39.jpg

KadenUrban

Hydraulic Fan Conversion

Sunday went well but it isn't quite running. I buttoned the engine back up and worked on swapping out the hydraulic fan system for the factory mechanical fan and electric combo.

View attachment 352600
This is a direct swap but requires changing the power steering pump as well.

Great build man, I've enjoyed looking through this thread!

The Hydraulic Fan Solenoid just went bad in my 03 WJ Laredo, took it into my local Jeep dealer and they want $1750 to replace the entire Hydraulic fan assembly. Which isn't gonna happen haha. How did you swap that hydraulic system out? Is there a write up on that? I'm just starting to look for the same mechanical/electric combo as a cheaper option and would love to hear your thoughts!!! Thanks
- Kaden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles