2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build Thread

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I have been fourwheeling and exploring the outdoors since 1988. Prior to that I enjoyed two and three-wheeled offroading as a kid. The woods behind my house were my playground and I loved it.

Over the years I have owned several offroad vehicles, a 1988.5 Suzuki Samurai, a 1995 Jeep YJ, a 2001 Jeep TJ, a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 1981 Wagoneer and now the latest 2002 WJ.

My previous Jeeps were all modified. Some much more than others. The 1999 Grand was my wife’s daily driver and other than a 2.5” budget boost and slightly larger tires it was completely stock. I sold it with over 280,000 miles on the ticker and have felt like I had made a mistake ever since. In 2007 I drove it from Batavia, OH, to Moab, UT, and my favorite, the White Rim trail.

At that time my kids were babies. In fact, my son was 3 and my wife was 7 months pregnant with my daughter. Now they are 12 and 8 and I have been feeling the pressure that time is slipping away. I want them to experience that epic Moab-style road trip as a family. I hope that as they get older they will want to continue to take these types of trips with my wife and I and their families. The Grand Cherokee proved itself as an awesome family platform. The 1999 WJ was a Laredo package. It had the full-time NV247 tcase, 3.73 gears, 4.7 V8, leather and the sunroof. I always liked this setup but wanted the Limited cladding and quadradrive axles. I searched locally for quite a while and finally found a 2002 WJ Limited with a few issues that would make a great starting point

I bought the 2000 as a non-runner for CHEAP. I had previously torn into a 4.7 when my work truck spun a rod bearing a few years ago. I found two parts engines back then and still have quite a stock of spares. The WJ engine would start without too much noise. It smoked badly, however. I tried replacing spark plugs as I have solved several “miss” situations with this obvious solution. Same miss and smoke. I decided to tear it down to find the problem. Under the valve cover on the drivers side I found a rocker arm laying loose. I suspected a dropped valve seat to be the culprit as the rocker wouldn’t reseat. Further investigation revealed it was indeed a dropped seat but that wasn’t the end of the story. The number one piston is melted. It looks like I will be swapping out the entire engine.

Clues to what may have happened were prevalent. When I bought the jeep the owner told me it had been run low on oil and started knocking. I checked the oil and though old and dirty it wasn’t contaminated and the level was decent. My test start sounded like a top end problem instead. I noticed that there were two big jugs of kitty litter in the back but didn’t think anything of it. Turns out they were full of water, not kitty litter. The radiator overflow reservoir was also full of water…no antifreeze to be seen. As I removed the radiator I found a crack that explained all the water. Another problem was a powersteering system full of oil instead of powersteering fluid. I definitely have my work cut out for me. I hope to be driving it by Christmas.

While I tear in to all this I will leave you with a few plans for the future. The parts are already in the garage and will be installed as it all comes together.

3” Iron Rock Offroad Suspension
Bilstein 5125 Shocks
All new spring isolators front and rear
¾” Spacer up front to accommodate the weight of winch
Warn 9.5xp Winch
HK Offroad Hidden Winch Plate (This is a very nice piece. I will be making a few modifications)
2015 Rubicon Takeoff Rims and 255/75/17 Tires
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers
Home Built Control arms using Currie Johnny Joints
High Clearance IRO Transmission Crossmember
Addco Rear Swaybar
JKS Disconnects (adapted from my old TJ)
ARB 50QT Fridge
1500W Power Inverter
Cargo Barrier Rear Storage system.
Dash Mounted CB/Ham Radio
Dash mounted Tablet with GPS Maps
Onboard Shower Using Homemade Heat Exchanger
Specialized Tool Kit and Spare parts List.
Swap NP 247 for NP 242 Transfer Case (no longer needed as I had to use my donor vehicle instead)***
Kolak 2.5" Exhaust (I took advantage of his Christmas Special)
ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor

Future plans that are on the table but not in the garage

Great Lakes Offroad Transfer Case Clocking Ring
Custom fabbed 2x6 Rocker Panel Rock Rails
Custom built On-board Air (I bought the ARB CKMA12 compressor instead)***
Secondary House Battery Mounted in spare tire well
Slide out tray for Cargo Barrier and Fridge
Roof Rack Storage
Back up Camera
Headlight and interior lighting upgrades
Offroad Trailer

Pics to Follow:

Last edited:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The black Jeep is the subject of this build.

The white Jeep on its trip to Moab.

What a dropped valve seat looks like.

What a melted piston looks like.

Attachments

• Metal Masher 0607.jpg
    Metal Masher 0607.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DroppedValve.jpg
    DroppedValve.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_5017.JPG
    IMG_5017.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 98
  • MeltedPiston.JPG
    MeltedPiston.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 101

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The Cargo Barrier Rack.

Attachments

• 2008-06-18 20.27.57.jpg
    2008-06-18 20.27.57.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2008-06-18 20.26.14.jpg
    2008-06-18 20.26.14.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 102

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
There isn't a name on the rack. It was in my 1999 when I bought it. I am pretty sure it is some kind of pet barrier. I took the lower section and mounted it at 90 degrees to make the shelf. When I move it to the 2002 I will modify it again to accommodate the ARB fridge and a full width slide.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
RUST STINKS!

THE BAD NEWS?! RUST!!

I ordered all my parts for a top end rebuild and sent the heads off to the machine shop. While waiting on the heads I decided to install other items on the shelf. I wanted to get the lift installed and I was worried what I’d find when I removed the lower spring isolators. Luckily, there was no rust on the front spring perches. I loved the way the front looked. A 3” lift plus ¾” spacers with the 2014 Rubicon takeoffs were exactly what I hoped.

A bad Garage Pic
IMG_5874.jpg

Moving to the back I noticed the upper bumpstop was nearly rusted away. It didn’t seem like a difficult fix but I decided to THOROUGHLY check the rest of the unibody for rust. From the outside, there is nothing. It looks clean. I knew when I purchased it that there was some on the inside of the rocker panels.

IMG_5893.jpg
Further inspection revealed heavy flaking but I had planned to cut that out anyway for the 2x6 rocker guards. The bubbling I found around the front seat mounts and inside the drivers front fender well chipped away to reveal several large (1x4”) holes. The rear lower control arm mounts and the gas tank/hitch mounting areas were also severely rusted. The metal still felt solid but had separated into “layers” of rust. NOT GOOD.

I bought this Jeep as a two for one deal, meaning I got 2 Grand Cherokees. Both had similar stories on the engine. Both were V8s. One (the black one) a limited with everything. The other (blue) a Laredo with cloth seats, no sunroof or tow package. It also had holes rusted through the hood. My first thought was to see if the areas rusted on the Limited were good on the Laredo so that I could cut them out and weld them in. Turns out that those areas WERE in good condition. In fact, THE WHOLE UNIBODY was in great condition. The new plan is to use the Laredo instead of the Limited so parts swapping is about to begin. I WANT the Limited body cladding so I will also be swapping the doors, fenders, hood, leather etc. I’ll end up with a Limited body with the Laredo dash (no blend door issues) and this will also keep me from swapping the transfer case as the 242HD t-case I had planned to swap in is already installed in the Laredo!

IMG_5899.jpg

Progress is being made. Plan to take it on a road trip to FL in April.:sombrero:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The weather has been nice for Ohio in January. I took advantage of the opportunity to switch over the lift and front axle from the black Jeep to the Blue one.

The front axle has the vari-lok diff and I bought an Aussie for the rear. Lift is the IRO 3".

Attachments

• IMG_6094.JPG
    IMG_6094.JPG
    419.7 KB · Views: 59
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 58

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The steering on the WJ hangs fairly low. With my intended usage I don't plan to do a lot of rock crawling but I love mods that increase clearance. Any time you can reduce vital components from impacting immovable objects it is a win!

I used 3 tapered inserts from Go-Fer-It Offroad and a Right Hand Drive, left side drag link end for the proper taper and bend. I found a great write-up on Mall Crawler for the details.

This mod raised my steering components up 4 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpg
    IMG_5999.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6002.jpg
    IMG_6002.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6008.jpg
    IMG_6008.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6006.jpg
    IMG_6006.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 56

c_ema

Observer
@ JeepN95YJ
please could you give us more pics with the tie-rod and drag-link installed? Have you had any problem when you turn all right and all left with new configuration?
Thanks!!

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I haven't tested the setup on the street, yet. I have a few engine issues to work out and I want to move the track bar for a more optimum relationship to the drag link. Below are the links to the write up from Mallcrawlin and for the parts I used. Be sure to read the whole post on Mallcrawlin. He had a different end result in mind and they found better options as they worked through.

Links:
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?7615-WJ-Tie-Rod-Flip-and-Max-Droop-for-Drag-Link
http://www.morris4x4center.com/tie-rod-end-to-left-knuckle-rhd-52088512.html

Here is a current pic of the whole system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 47

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
@ JeepN95YJ
please could you give us more pics with the tie-rod and drag-link installed? Have you had any problem when you turn all right and all left with new configuration?
Thanks!!

I attached the trackbar and turned left and right. I got full range of motion from stop to stop. I did not have my sway bar disconnects attached (I will be using a modified JKS TJ setup). I didn't find any surprises but there might be a slight interference issue with the lower sway bar mount on the passenger side depending on how I attach it. I will update this thread as I progress.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The tie rod end and the tapered inserts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier