LR4 multi purpose duty

TongaExplorer

I do like your carrier, nice job.
I’m considering doing similar and thought your wheel position looked pretty good. You say you might have raised it a tad if you had to redo - why’s that??
What size tyre are you running on the PD1881s?

I’m also mighty jealous of those trails you get to do out there!!

ar4me

Adventurer
Wheel position is great. Clearing parking sensors from beeping is marginal. If I don’t tug the wheel cover on real tight and smooth it can occasionally trigger the warning sound when backing up. I suspect getting it a tad higher will help that, but of course, view out the back may be slightly the worse. I have 275/65-18 tires.

ar4me

Adventurer
On a separate note. I have been chasing a solution to get speedo to show correctly with the oversized tires (instead of 7-10% too low) by using the iidtool to change the CFF. However, the parameters GAP says work for the LR3 and says to use, does not work on my LR4. After much back and forth, Patrick at GAP suggested to try another parameter - the “Tire Size MSB - IPC” under IPC. Sure enough, after some experimentation, setting it to 30, and the speedometer is bang on. Here is a picture from the relevant part of the CFF - note this value works for 275/65-18 tires.

3D90770D-E166-4A84-AC84-21775E75E085.png

Last edited:

ar4me

Adventurer
I have been searching for a press fit weather strip that fits the slots of the OEM rack. Primarily, I was looking to use it to cover the opening in the upper rail (in which I ran wiring). Essentially, a weather strip matching what Land Rover used on the rear upper cross member. Initially, I had used zip ties and little hose pieces pressed into the slot to hold wiring inside, but I wanted a more finished look. I eventually found that Thule rubber replacement strips are a good fit: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=853354406

IMG_3097.jpg

This is what the upper rail looks like OEM with my added zip ties and hose pieces
IMG_3096.jpg

and, with the Thule rubber strips inserted
IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

These Thule rubber strips will also fit the slots of the cross member load bars, if anyone is looking to keep dirt out, or be able to slide things on rubber (instead of the aluminum bars)

ar4me

Adventurer
A built one on the 4wd raised chassis. Still some off-road capability, but certainly no more Bobby's Hole, Elephant Hill, Black Bear Pass, well..., hmm..., maybe Black Bear Pass is doable in the Sprint... lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles