LR4 multi purpose duty

Ray_G

Explorer
You don't lose the function of parking sensors... Pretty simple to keep, getting them to not see the spare tire carrier is NBD as well... Use the adhesive style bicycle tube patches over half the sensor (but you probably don't have tubes, do you). I take my tire carrier off my Tactical bumper when I'm not on a trip, 1 bolt (large) and a gas strut... 15 minutes start to tools put away.

Not sure if you can turn off individual parking sensors with the IIDTOOL, I've never dug around...

Good info on pulling the tire carrier-that may help negotiations with the better half who rightly points out the tailgate is one of the best things about the truck. In terms of parking sensors individually being turned off with IID, I don't think they can be-at least I couldn't figure it out but perhaps someone more savvy with them than I can post up.

For the OP, love the wheels in that color BTW.

ar4me

Adventurer
Mounted vehicle laptop stand to hold a MackBook with MacGPS Pro and US Tope maps and external USB GPS receiver for offroad navigation. I built a custom support arm to increase stability. Tires are arriving today and I will have them mounted on the Compomotive rims, and should then almost be set for Mojave Road Trail in a few weeks :)
IMG_3996.jpgIMG_3991.jpg
Also mounted my Saris bike rack by using the bolts for the factory cargo tie-downs.
IMG_3994.jpg

ar4me

Adventurer
There are 2 bicycles, so I assume 2 people in the truck. How's the co-pilot with the laptop mount?
The two projects are unrelated - "multi purpose duty" :) Don't think I would ever need the off-road laptop navigation on the mount when carrying bikes, but laptop doesn't intrude much on the front passenger space - tried it with my son just sitting. Though, wouldn't want it on with a passenger in the front seat in case of accident... The laptop mount is primarily when I am navigating off-road without other people in the car, like when we head off into the wilderness three guys in three cars such as upcoming Mojave Road trip.

With two bikes on the rack you can still have the middle rear seat up, or you can fit three bikes with all rear seats folded down. This would only make sense if carrying spare bikes... :)

brickpaul65

Adventurer
This build looks great!

Zelatore, awesome write up! How do you like the ST Pro's? I just got ST maxx's. I almost went with the pros but I am much closer to a mall ninja than actual off roader :( I figured the ST Maxx's would give me a little better on road performance for the rain in Knoxville and the tiny amounts of snow we get. I still have a few days to swap though...

zelatore

Explorer
The two projects are unrelated - "multi purpose duty" :) Don't think I would ever need the off-road laptop navigation on the mount when carrying bikes, but laptop doesn't intrude much on the front passenger space - tried it with my son just sitting. Though, wouldn't want it on with a passenger in the front seat in case of accident... The laptop mount is primarily when I am navigating off-road without other people in the car, like when we head off into the wilderness three guys in three cars such as upcoming Mojave Road trip.

With two bikes on the rack you can still have the middle rear seat up, or you can fit three bikes with all rear seats folded down. This would only make sense if carrying spare bikes... :)

I was wondering how much it intruded into the passenger area. I'm running a 10" tablet with GaiaGPS and went round and round figuring out where to put it. I considered a vertical seat post mount similar to what you have but worried it would bother the passenger's knee to much. I ended up using a windshield mount with a long arm that rests on the dash, and was able to position it so that the bottom of the table just rests on the little shelf in front of the nav screen (LR3 though, so a little different than yours). It's working pretty well so far.

This build looks great!

Zelatore, awesome write up! How do you like the ST Pro's? I just got ST maxx's. I almost went with the pros but I am much closer to a mall ninja than actual off roader :( I figured the ST Maxx's would give me a little better on road performance for the rain in Knoxville and the tiny amounts of snow we get. I still have a few days to swap though...

I think you've mixed two threads as I didn't actually do much of a write up here or even mention the STT-Pros in this thread. :)
But since you asked, I did get the 275-70-18 STT-Pros mounted and surprisingly I haven't had to do any additional trimming beyond what I've already done. They measure out true-to-spec at about 33.3". I haven't had a chance to get them dirty yet since I'm still messing with some other stuff, but on the street they are definitely a mud tire - there's a noticeable hum at highways speeds but it is tolerable. They are running smooth and true with no vibrations. Actually, they are a lot smoother and quieter than the Duratracs I took off, but that's only because I had really torn those tires up in the rocks. Hopefully the Coopers won't get too much louder as they wear, but so far I like them although I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver for the average guy. I haven't checked mileage, but I expect I'll take a bit of a hit vs the Duratracs since I've gone up in diameter as well as up in weight. The Coopers on stock 10 spoke LR3 wheels came in at 88 lbs each per my bathroom scale. I don't recall how much the Goodyears were, but I want to say about 80 lbs. I think for most use, the ST-Maxx is probably a better tire, but I tend to push things a little so I wanted to go to a true mud-terrain this time.

ar4me

Adventurer
I was wondering how much it intruded into the passenger area.
Actually not bad - all relative though, I suppose. The post goes up right along the center console. It looks dangerous in case of a front impact - probably ok with a passenger in the front seat with laptop mounted on low speed off-road, but I wouldn't do it on paved roads (where it doesn't serve much purpose anyway). Yeah, I am sure a tablet is less intrusive.

ar4me

Adventurer
Got my tires mounted - 275/65-18 Cooper AT3. Haven't fitted the wheels on the LR4 yet - will be interesting to see if there are any clearance issues with the larger tires...
IMG_3997.jpg

ar4me

Adventurer
Also installed the towing wiring kit. Although the factory instructions do not call for removing the rear bumper cover I found it impossible to clip in the wire clips without removing it. With bumper cover in place I was able to route and connect everything, but I could not reach up being the counter weight to clip the wire clips into the holes on the rear bumper. So off came the rear quarter panel flares and the rear bumper cover.
DSC_0001.jpg
And then close up of the two clips that are behind the counter weight, on top of the (metal) bumper, underneath the bumper cover - good luck getting those one with the bumper cover in place...
DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
Got my tires mounted - 275/65-18 Cooper AT3. Haven't fitted the wheels on the LR4 yet - will be interesting to see if there are any clearance issues with the larger tires...
View attachment 316933

I _think_ you will be OK with that tire on the Compos. I helped a friend do those tires on LR3 wheels with spacers and we had to do some trimming for the front. It should be better w/o spacers. I would still double check the sensor wiring on the drivers side front outer frame rail, and you will likely have to do the heater line and body seam mod for the rear.

ar4me

Adventurer
I _think_ you will be OK with that tire on the Compos. I helped a friend do those tires on LR3 wheels with spacers and we had to do some trimming for the front. It should be better w/o spacers. I would still double check the sensor wiring on the drivers side front outer frame rail, and you will likely have to do the heater line and body seam mod for the rear.
Thanks for the pointers!

ar4me

Adventurer
Finally mounted the Compomotove wheels with the 275/65-18 Cooper AT3s. I attempted to mount the spare under the car and could probably have squeezed it up in the stock location, but decided not to force it. For next weekend's trip I will carry it in the cargo area - won't carry much luggage anyway since we all three are only one person per vehicle this time out.
DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0020.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0025.jpg
I need to find some anthracite center caps...

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Finally mounted the Compomotove wheels with the 275/65-18 Cooper AT3s. I attempted to mount the spare under the car and could probably have squeezed it up in the stock location, but decided not to force it. For next weekend's trip I will carry it in the cargo area - won't carry much luggage anyway since we all three are only one person per vehicle this time out.

You'll need to air down that spare to get it into the stock location, but it will fit. I was able to fit 285/65/18s in the stock location. The trick i found was to rub some dish soap on the parts of the tire that will squeeze between the frame rails and the stock hitch connector. Use a jack to force the tire up in so that you don't put too much stress on the tire winch. Don't worry about getting it out. I found that you can easily pry the tire back out using the stock tire iron as a pry bar against the frame.

ar4me

Adventurer
Nice. I had two 3.0L Milanos, both DD in the early 90s. Put a lot of miles on 'em, loads of fun. Now I race a '72 Spider (ex W&D car).
Very cool!
You'll need to air down that spare to get it into the stock location, but it will fit. I was able to fit 285/65/18s in the stock location. The trick i found was to rub some dish soap on the parts of the tire that will squeeze between the frame rails and the stock hitch connector. Use a jack to force the tire up in so that you don't put too much stress on the tire winch. Don't worry about getting it out. I found that you can easily pry the tire back out using the stock tire iron as a pry bar against the frame.
Thanks for the tip. Will air it down and try again for next weekend's trip. Once back in town the stock wheels will go back on, and I will make a rear tire carrier a priority...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles