LR4 multi purpose duty

zelatore

Explorer
Looks nice!

And I agree 100% about getting a tire carrier. Sure you might be able to force the tire up into the stock location, but if you cut a tire on the trail do you really want to be crawling in the mud and dirt trying to pry it out? That's assuming you have a flat in an area where you can even get under the rig at all.

ar4me

Adventurer
Also, with the iidtool unlocked for the LR4 I updated the Car Configuration File (CCF) to enable the TSA (Trailer Stability Assistance) feature of the LR4. I also changed the CCF to reflect the addition of the trailer wiring kit.

ar4me

Adventurer
I am planning to see if I can set the non-stock tire size on the Compomotive wheels with the iidtool in the CCF...

zelatore

Explorer
You know, I've never tried to re-cal the speedo. I could certainly stand to do that as I'm now at 33.3" tires. Of course, the speedo wasn't super accurate even stock (read slow like most new vehicles) so now it's about 4-5 mph slow at highway speeds.

ar4me

Adventurer
You know, I've never tried to re-cal the speedo. I could certainly stand to do that as I'm now at 33.3" tires. Of course, the speedo wasn't super accurate even stock (read slow like most new vehicles) so now it's about 4-5 mph slow at highway speeds.
I looked into various fields of the CCF and it is not quite clear to me where to enter it. I contacted GAP Diagnostics for support - we'll see. I had other issues with the iidtool. Although it allowed writing a CCF with "nav on the go" enabled, it results in a fault - clearing that fault is not possible - The setting with the iidtool appears incompatible with my 2010 LR4... Worse, when I tried to write a new CCF with the "nav on the go" disabled I kept getting an "upload error", and I was unable to write CCF to vehicle. I had other odd effects, but eventually it did accept the CCF with "nav on the go" disabled. Another issue was that I got a TPMS system error on the display earlier today, but the iidtool did not report any TMPS faults, and I was unable to clear that error with the iidtool. Eventually, it got wiped out when writing a new CCF file...

ar4me

Adventurer
Got information from GAP Diagnostics:
1. The adjustment for non-stock tire sizes supposedly only works for diesel models and not on gasoline models, currently. It is on their to-do list for 2016, though they suggested I try it anyway.
2. "Nav on the go" is not possible on 2010 (2011, I believe) NA vehicles through the OBDII port, but they are working on a work-around to enable it.
3. The TPMS system error is not a fault, and therefore, correctly not available for clearing with the iidtool. The TPMS system is automatic, and my error is likely due to the spare not being in the stock location at the moment. As a test I disabled the "TPMS in the spare" in the CCF file, and I will see if the error comes back or not.

ar4me

Adventurer
I tried 1. adjusting for the larger tire size, and although the car accepted the CCF I immediately got a check engine light, and the error code was corrupt memory. It could not be cleared, and the only way to resolve was to revert the CCF, confirming GAP Diagnostics info that it does not work for my car.

I have the Traxide dual-battery kit coming from Australia, and I consulted with GAP Diagnostics about setting up the car for AGM batteries. I will get access to a beta version of the firmware for the iidtool that will allow me to configure the battery in the CCF (CCA and Ah). Like normal the BMS needs to be reset under "service" like usual when the battery is replaced. One issue with the BMS system of the LR4, according to GAP Diagnostics, is that it sits between the primary battery negative terminal and chassis - so unclear how it will work with the secondary battery - may depend on how the setup works...

Re. 3, with disabling the "TPMS in spare" in the CCF the "TMPS system failure" error has not come back.

ar4me

Adventurer
We had a successful trip this weekend, traveling the Mojave Road trail that crosses the Mojave desert on the old indian trail - a 140 miles off-road adventure, not too technical but lots of variety: lose rocks, rock, deep sand, river crossing, wash board, dry lake bed, ... Some pictures below, from very start at the Colorado River at Laughlin, Nevada, to the finish at pavement near Barstow, CA (next post).

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpeg
    DSC_0034.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0045.jpeg
    DSC_0045.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0112.jpeg
    DSC_0112.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0123.jpeg
    DSC_0123.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0129.jpeg
    DSC_0129.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0221.jpeg
    DSC_0221.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0224.jpeg
    DSC_0224.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0230.jpeg
    DSC_0230.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0234.jpeg
    DSC_0234.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 130

ar4me

Adventurer
...and the last few pics from the trail... The last hours in the dark was interesting - some additional lighting would be nice :)

Next planned outing is a 6 day trip to Canyonlands National Park, UT, traveling the White Rim Road. I have a few additions I hope to add between now and then...

Attachments

• DSC_0239.jpeg
    DSC_0239.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 93

SHS14

Did you have rubbing to work through?

Rig looks awesome. I haven't been out in nature in awhile and looking at your pics is starting to really give me the itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ar4me

Adventurer
Did you have rubbing to work through?

Rig looks awesome. I haven't been out in nature in awhile and looking at your pics is starting to really give me the itch.
Thanks. The front tires just touch the front inside of the fender liner during parking maneuvers - as tires wear this should go away. Neither touch the rear "horn". I also checked the harness on the front driver side frame rail as recommended to me in this thread. Although it did not rub during full lock I still tied it up to the side. A couple of times when going into a dip to fast I did get a touch at the top rear fender liner during compression (I think) - need to check it. But generally, no big issues.

Here is a short video that one of my buddies shot when I crossed the main water obstacle.

ar4me

Adventurer
Picking up a pre-owned (un-used) 50l National Luna fridge this Saturday :) Will be perfect for our 1 week trip to Canyonlands National Park, UT, doing 5 nights of camping on White Rim Road this spring. Would love to also have the swing arm done by then... we'll see... Debating whether to just put the fridge in the back or try mount it instead of 2nd row center seat as some have done - not sure if the 50l National Luna fits there... The fridge comes with the jacket and the quick release mounting plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles