LR4 multi purpose duty

A.J.M

Explorer
Did you have to wire in the 2nd fuel gauge to the tank?
If so, how did you do that?

I like the idea of having a complete 2nd fuel system to weld it all together, i'll get one from a breakers and follow that idea.

Mine still isn't in. Ben distracted with other mods and it's too cold to be trying it just now.
That and i need to get the underside of mine stripped cleaned and rust treated again, 13 years of the U.K climate is beginning to show.

ar4me

Adventurer
I put the awning on the right side for two reasons:
1. My buddy has his awning on the left side, and for lunch breaks we just pull up to each other and pull the two awnings out towards each other, and the two families will have a nice area with cover for the sun (which can be brutal around here)
2. I also purchased the room with a floor, and we are planning to try use it as our accommodations (instead of our usual tent) as it allows access to the truck, and with the awning on the right our fridge opens towards the access from the room (via the right rear door)

Autoanything often have 20% sales, sometimes none of the ARB items are included, sometimes only the room and/or windbreaker but not the awning, and then sometimes everything is included...

ar4me

Adventurer
Did you have to wire in the 2nd fuel gauge to the tank?
If so, how did you do that?
Yes, I created my own wiring loom with a heavier duty relay than the FrontRunner provided relay, along with the gauge/switch and sender kit I purchased separately and modified the FrontRunner tank to accept. See posts 102 and 103 for a bit of info. The Australian place that sold me the gauge/switch and sender kit provided me with general wiring instructions, I went from there, wired it all up on the bench to test before creating the wiring loom and installing - not complicated.

A.J.M

Explorer
Yes, I created my own wiring loom with a heavier duty relay than the FrontRunner provided relay, along with the gauge/switch and sender kit I purchased separately and modified the FrontRunner tank to accept. See posts 102 and 103 for a bit of info. The Australian place that sold me the gauge/switch and sender kit provided me with general wiring instructions, I went from there, wired it all up on the bench to test before creating the wiring loom and installing - not complicated.

Excellent.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking forward to attempting this on mine.

ar4me

Adventurer
With two 2nd row seats removed: fridge in the middle and storage in place of the left seat, we had a problem of cargo sliding forward from the top of the FrontRunner drawer system into the cabin when overlanding over extended uneven, rocky, or steep trails. Last summer in AZ, the passes in CO, and Elephant Hill etc. in Canyonlands we had to stop every now and then to push cargo boxes etc. back. So, before next trip I had made a note of installing a cargo barrier. I went with the OEM part VUB507011 that my local Mission Viejo Land Rover dealer gave me a good deal on. I was lucky that the barrier pushes right up against the FrontRunner drawer system without a mm to spare.
IMG_2661.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg

ar4me

Adventurer
Fire extinguishers and 50" light bar

Mounted two fire extinguishers in the car: one halotron and one chemical.
IMG_2704.jpg

The bigger project was to mount a 50" curved light bar, hopefully fitting the contour of the OEM rack. Considered many different mounting options, but ended up welding up a bracket that is welded together with the front footing of the OEM rack. Super sturdy and for a 50" light bar it is more or less a straight shot forward. The light bar stock mounting brackets are bolted to the new bracket, and sit a little rotated on the 1" square tubing coming forward. Hence, the small turned platform part of the welded up bracket.
IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Still have the wiring left to do...

Just to clarify for fueling on your truck; do you have the option to fuel just the main or the aux or does it happen together regardless? Does one tank fuel before the other like once the main is full, then the aux fills? Just curious to know how you manage your fuel load as to not have a full aux tank anytime you top off.

Great set up........thanks in advance!

ar4me

Adventurer
It fills both tanks, but it is simple: If you only want the main tank filled, put in 20 gallons and start the aux pump as you drive off :)

The FrontRunner “splitter” distributes the fuel - looks odd visually, but they must have thought about it as fills the two tanks about 50-50.

ar4me

Adventurer
As a follow up to the aux fuel tank: I have run through a few cycles of fuel and gained some experience with CEL, emission monitors, etc. Under very specific fuel conditions it does throw a CEL: thinks there is a slow evap leak. It appears to happen when aux tank is completely empty and main tank is down to about 1/4 left. Resetting codes, refill, and it will set all emission readiness monitors as quickly as usual, and CEL will stay off, until the almost completely empty fuel condition appears again, after some 600+ miles. Of course, one can just avoid running it that low and there will be no CEL. Regardless, passing smog will not be a problem since it sets all emissions readiness monitors, including evap, easily and CEL stays off for 600+ miles, or permanently if some fuel is left when refilling. All in all I am very happy with the set-up.

ar4me

Adventurer
We just got back from our first overlanding trip with the aux tank and the ARB awning and awning room. It was a 1320 miles trip from the northern side of Lake Powell at Alstrom Point on the AZ/UT border up through Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, to Capitol Reef National Park, and up through the South Desert and Cathedral Valley to Hwy 70.

The aux fuel tank has to be one of the best mods I have done - really convenient! No more worrying or planning for the next fuel stop, no more messing with Jerry Cans :) With 40+ gallons on board you can go really far and have very good flexibility. I did not get any CELs on the trip since I did not run both tanks simultaneously bone dry at any point.

We brought both our regular tent and the awning room as I wasn't sure how the awning room would work out, but the idea was to test it. It worked great, although a tight fit for two adults and a 15 year old, so, really 3 adults. We used only that, and everyone seem to prefer it over the tent. The main drawback is that it just fit the 3 mattresses with sleeping bags. That wasn't a problem at Alstrom Point (as it was warm)
IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg
Alstrom Point is a great camping spot - below a picture from our camp site at sunset.
IMG_2863.jpg

But, at Cathedral Valley Campground where it was around freezing temperature overnight it would have been nice to fit the heater safely inside the awning room. Instead I would heat rocks to put in sleeping bags :) Note that I have the 2m awning room as I chose the shorter 2m awning that fits the length of the LR roof rack well. The awning room is very nice in that all sides can essentially be zipped open to provide full openness with just the mosquito net to keep bugs out. My main concern is long term durability as the awning room seem a bit heavy to hang off the awning poles - wonder if it will hold up. We did experience some strong winds overnight, and it held up well for that.
IMG_2991.jpg

The Hartnet Rd and Caineville Wash Rd have some very scenic spots with overview of the South Desert and the Cathedral Valley
IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles