exterior panel ideas

brackethunter

Again, unless you have some sort of balls-out, super-vision about what to build and it's for a highly specific need, seriously, look at picking up an older TC like Bigfoot (for example) and modifying it to fit you needs. I priced one 5'x8'x.5" double sided honey comb core panel at $1k per panel from one source, before shipping. Sure I could find a better deal out there, but that stuff adds up. I hope to eventually build a very specific camper based on a plan I have in mind, but the cost of sheathing the thing is a huge obstacle (well, not as huge as time I don't have, but a huge obstacle nonetheless). Again, sorry for the unsolicited opinion. Now go have a Shiner Bock on me.

I have the time and a place to do it right now with all the tools I need. In 5 years I may not be here or have all the tools I have at my disposal. In 5 years, I hope to be out west somewhere travelling. Right now I am finishing up graduate school so disposable income is not readily available for a large purchase but I can work on a project. Obviously I won't be starting anything until I source materials and I am open to changing my plan, but the used backpack camper market is small in Texas compared to other places. What I saw in my price range was not appealing when I know I could build better. In fact the ones out of my price range that are brand new are by and large not appealing because they have poor functionality/use of space and are poorly built for the most part with traditional camper panel construction that will leak and rot someday no matter what. I have a play mor single axle camper and another double axle both down at the deer lease in Bracketville that I could gut and redo but I would rather build something I can throw on my half ton that is light enough I can still balance a jeep or 4 wheeler on a small trailer on the back. My truck has best in class payload and towing at 1.8 k and 11k respectively so it should not be asking to much. Gas mileage will just blow. You could possibly say I have a balls out super vision.

LukeH

Adventurer
Yep! Andreas has clearly spotted that the XV market is crying for proper base materials. Good for you Andreas, well done getting that up and running. ExPo has given me a few ideas I'll be moving on soon too.

But What I don't understand, reading all these posts where people charge into wood or steel frames due to lack of choice or lack of imagination in some cases, is why there are NO refrigerated trucks in the USA...

Oh, wait! https://www.google.fr/search?q=usa+...hUKEwiJmNDgyM7JAhUCVRoKHRjGCnYQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1

Yes there are!
The insulated panels used for the huge majority of self builds and quite a lot of custom builders too come directly from the refrigerated transport industry.
I personally know at least six builders who have simply taken a refrigerated box body and mounted it onto their base vehicle; some who have actually bought the whole refrigerated truck and started their fit-out without any exterior modifications.
Surely there is at least one fridge truck that has had a frontal and coud donate a box for you to cut up?

Of course if you need to build from scratch, Andreas is the guy to talk to (sorry I realised it looked like I was talking people out of buying from him)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yep, I know of one local Fuso with such a refrigo cabin.
Very excited for Andreas' panels though!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yep, I know of one local Fuso with such a refrigo cabin.
Very excited for Andreas' panels though!

Thanks! Yes, it is very exciting. There are quiet a view amazing trucks being designed right now the will be build with our components! Can't wait to see them on the road :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks! Yes, it is very exciting. There are quiet a view amazing trucks being designed right now the will be build with our components! Can't wait to see them on the road :)

Can you post some pics here when appropriate Andreas?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I will see what I can do. I'm sure those trucks will be at many Overland events next year.

boxcar1

boxcar1
I looked at structural panel construction before starting my steel frame build. For me it just wasn't cost effective .
I opted for a blend of 1x1 and 1x2 .065 steel tube , 1/4" ply inner skin and .035 aluminum outer. ( available in roles - 60" by what ever length you want at any aluminum supplier).
The camper will have 1 or 2" R-Tech ridged insulation in all walls floors roof and cabs.
Projected weight of my unit is just at 1000 lbs dry.
I'm not skimping on amenities to save weight either. I will have all of the standard amenities found in any standard camper.

1015141308.jpg

1015141326.jpg

1015141359.jpg

1015141280.jpg

LukeH

Adventurer
I looked at structural panel construction before starting my steel frame build. For me it just wasn't cost effective .
I opted for a blend of 1x1 and 1x2 .065 steel tube , 1/4" ply inner skin and .035 aluminum outer. ( available in roles - 60" by what ever length you want at any aluminum supplier).
The camper will have 1 or 2" R-Tech ridged insulation in all walls floors roof and cabs.
Projected weight of my unit is just at 1000 lbs dry.
I'm not skimping on amenities to save weight either. I will have all of the standard amenities found in any standard camper.

Just make sure the aluminium doesn't make electrical contact with the steel. With the humidity a camper generates you'll be a prime candidate for galvanic corrosion.
Happy camping; very intrigued to know how much it weighs in the end. It's an empty box, s'gotta be light ;-)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Just make sure the aluminium doesn't make electrical contact with the steel. With the humidity a camper generates you'll be a prime candidate for galvanic corrosion.
Happy camping; very intrigued to know how much it weighs in the end. It's an empty box, s'gotta be light ;-)

Electrolysis??

LukeH

Adventurer
Electrolysis involves adding electricity.
Galvanic corrosion generates its own. Just like a battery, there are pairs of materials which have different galvanic potential; when in contact with each other in the presence of water the ions migrate from one to the other causing the first to rot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne